Two questions.

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by AmadeusP, Apr 20, 2010.

1. AmadeusP

AmadeusP Member

Today, I ran into some unexpected Mal/Spy/Ad-ware and a virus. I have an HP g50 with Windows Vista Home, SP1, and my wife much the same (only from Compaq). Her computer came down with a nasty stutter where Explorer would open hundreds of explorer windows over and over. Pull the plug, she was done. After this she seemed to pick up the Adware "Sabotch" which then spread to me somehow.

In trying to fix that, my computer (using AVG) came up with "Torjan Horse BackDoor.Generic12.GOG.dropper" as well as the same Mal/Spy/Ad-ware her scans from Spysweeper brought up. AVG was blocking it... but it kept trying to open so long as the internet was active. AVG kept labelling files that were doing this and with five hours, the help of numerous free removal tools (the winners being Trojan Removal and SUPRAntiSpyware. Once the BackDoor stopped coming up, "Programm (not a typo...two M's) Compatability Wizard" kepts coming up with Explorer.exe needing a codec to work. This, I am guessing, is also Mal/Spy/Ad-ware. Although, nothing I have done so far can seem to fix this.

Question one: what IS this dropper thing? I am trying to understand how this all works and I cannot wrap my head around it... perhaps a human explaining it could help. And, if you've ever experienced similar, what did you use? As I said, took me five hours and three computers (two of which were infected). Why would internet explorer keep popping up milions of times on my wife's computer? What causes that?

Question two: I have burning rig... very barebones just the usual burning software (Nero, Shrink, FAB, ConvertX, etc). I tend to get plenty of CRC errors lately with burning. I WIKIed it... tried to understand it... and really could not. Think you might explain this too? It does not happen with everything I try to burn... and often times if I try again it will work. Why periodically like that?

Thank-you again for reading and your replies...

Oh, couple more questions (sorry, I know I asked more than two)
    When I was connecting my router to the main ethernet line (I rent, landlords got the hardware) the moment I connected the ethernet cable from our router to their router/modem their computer popped up a Trojan Horse virus from AVG. Could this have infected me now some days later? Could there have been a cirus waiting on one of our systems for an active connection to spread? Can virii work like this?

Also, the malicious actions seemed to only happen when an active internet connection. Can hackers or something wait at my internet front door for a connect then be trying to actively attack? I am not so sure how all this works... it just seemed odd that things only happened when internet was active.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  2. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

get some decent anti spyware/malware/virus removal software.probably something that scans your computer while the internet is running.if a hackers put a program on your computer to lets them know when your online they will try and attack you as soon as you connect.if your gonna burn a cd/dvd make sure your computer doesnt have any viruses on it when you do otherwise you can transfer the virus.ive got malware byte anti malware.microsoft security essentials and adaware and i still get viruses but i usually clear them straight away.if your sick of pop ups you can get a pop up blocker

3. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Download the latest version of malwarebytes and do a scan...once you are done, buy the full version of eset, or get the full version of malwarebytes, and pair it with the commodo firewall.

4. AmadeusP

AmadeusP Member

Well, that answered some of my questions. But, as I stated I did already get the infections from my machines. I know what to use now as I saw what worked and what did not. (Spysweeper seemed to catch the items but not remove them, Microsft Malicious Software tool did nothing, SUPERAntiSpyWare removed some but not all, and finally Malware Bytes caught everything and removed it all too.)

But the informational questions... just what ARE all of these things. And the CRC errors?

5. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

spyware,virus's,trogans are all programs design to hide in your computer and steal your data or manipulate the way your computer works.An anitvirus scans your computer for files that are known to be viruses/spyware/trogans or harmful data.you can get viruses anywhere and no one is immune from them.A firewall like (Killerbug mentioned) is a wall that blocks things from entering your computer.remember to scan your computer on a regular basis and you should be fine.

Im no expert on burning so i cant tell you whats causing the CRC errors.try posting something about it in another section probably the dvd-/+rw for newbies and someone there should be able to help you. you might want to reinstall all your burning software(could help).

6. AmadeusP

AmadeusP Member

Thank-you all kindly for your answers, actually you have all been quite informative with the research I've been doing on my own. One more question that COULD be related to this.

All of a sudden, I realize that my Network Wireless icon near the time/date in my taskbar is not functioning as it should. It always looks like it is disconnected (the two computers with an X through them) even if I am successfully connected to a network and using the internet wirelessly. When I open the Network Sharing options it claims "Server execution failed"... and that is if it does NOT crash out. Now, this mal/spy/ad-ware issue ripped apart my Windows Media codecs making Media Player effectively useless... is this ALSO a byproduct of my recent attack? I can send you an image (cannot seem ti add one in here) by e-mail if you feel you can solve this issue better with a picture.

7. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

im no expert on wireless connection having a problem with mine due to spyware and stuff.for the windows media codecs you can try K-lite codecs pack or try reinstalling windows media player.Any problems you have with your computer or windows are most likely the affect of a virus/malware/spyware.if you do a bit of reseacrh on the malware that infected your computer you should be able to find a site that will lists all the effects of each individual malware or you can post in the afterdawn virus section and someone should be able to help you there.