1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Type of DVD for burning PS2 games..

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by indian9, Jun 10, 2006.

1. indian9

indian9 Member

Hi everyone,
    Iam a new entrant to the field of PS2 game backing.To backup a new game,I purchased a Sony 8.5 GB DVD+/-R dual layer double layer DVD Writer.Iam using a DVD+RW DVD to burn my copy of the game.Iam doing this to make sure that my burnt copy works on the PS2.If it does,iam ready to go ahead and burn it on a DVD-R DVD & keep it forever.
    So far,i have used CloneCD,Alcohol 120%,BlindWrite,Copy DVD,DVD Decrypter to burn my game "DEVIL MAY CRY" on the RW DVD.Then I tried to play the burnt DVD on my PS2,but it does not play.Instead my PS2 gives me a message asking me to insert a Playstation or a Playstation 2 format disc.I don't understand why it doesn't work.In fact,i read an article online which said i could use DVD+R,DVD-R,DVD+RW and DVD-RW types of DVD's to burn my games & i used DVD-RW. Then why does the game not play? Does selecting the correct format have an impact even after the article says,it doesn't matter? Iam so confused! Can anyone please help me?
    Is there any other way I can run my PS2 backup games? Can anyone send me the Swap Magic 3.6 software.I would greatly appreicate all kinds of help in this regard.Thanks a lot. Have a good day,everyone !

2. shauntay

shauntay Regular member

ok u need an original of swap magic or ur games arnt gonna play, also swap magic wont boot dual layer discs, ur best off buyin swap magic with the required tool for ur version of ps2, weather its the bulky ps2 or the slim ps2

3. dan168

dan168 Regular member

Yep buy swap magic, also RW isn't the best for your laser, if you really want to use it to try out games, I'd suggest high quality RWs (I use Sony myself) and don't play games using RW, just use it to try out games

4. indian9

indian9 Member

Hi Guys,
    Thank you for your suggestions.I have a slim PS2.I am using Imation RW DVD just to burn the games on them and try it out on PS2,if they work or not.Once iam sure of the way to burn the games & how to use them on my PS2,i will burn the games on my Maxel DVD-R discs,the same way i did on the RW ones & keep them.I just basically did not want to waste any of my media,just in case,my burning method was not right.If i burn the games on Maxel DVD-r discs,will the games work? And will i be able to use them without using swapmagic?
    Anyways guys,can i download any copy of swap magic & burn it on my cd or dvd from somwhere? If i buy swapmagic,how much is it gonna cost me & what will i get in it?
    I have read about another software called CD Wizard Pro (or DVD Wizard Pro,i dont correctly remember), which can be used to burn the games.I wonder how.Does anyone know how?
    So finally,is there no way i can play the games on my PS2 without swapmagic.If i buy swapmagic & it doesn't work,will i get refund of the money?
    Waiting eagerly for the replies.Thanks all.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2006
  5. dan168

dan168 Regular member

No

Have a look online - it depends where you are. Shouldn't be more than $15-20.

Those programs won't work.

You can get a modchip instead. Swap magic works with most games. Whether you can get a refund or not will depend on the store you bought it from.

6. indian9

indian9 Member

Hi,
    Thanks "dan168" for your prompt replies.I truly appreciate that.i would like to know in what kind of stores,Swap magic is available? Does Walmart or RadioShack have it? If not,then what stores have it? Will it be safe to order the product online?
    I just don't want to void the warranty of my product,so that's why i wanna play it so safe.Thanks once again.Bye.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2006
  7. dan168

dan168 Regular member

I'm not sure if walmart or radioshark has it as I'm not in US, do a search in google, you should be able to find online stores near where you live, they should be around $15-20. As long as you order your product from a reputable site you'll be fine - if you pay by credit card the credit card company can back charge the store if you don't get your item anyway.

Also you'll need something like the magic switch since you have a slim PS2, hvae a look at the swap magic website for more info on this: http://www.swapmagic3.com/

8. iPirate

iPirate Regular member

indian9, where do you live. If it is in canada, manitoba try www.modchip.ca, very trusty.

9. steimy

steimy Active member

Ok, a few tips for you
    1. swap magic alone will not play your back ups. You also need an aftermarket fliptop, or a set of tools that go by many names like Slimtool, Magic Switch, Magic Keys and so on. You can usually buy these at most reputable online stores as a package deal. And pretty much any slimline model other than a V12 you can kiss that Warranty goodbye. You will have to void it to mod your console. They are only a standard 90 days in most cases so it should not be that big a deal.

2. get better media. Imation are cheap and will not work well for games. Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim, Philips, Sony (made in Japan!) or Maxcell (made in Japan!) Also 8X DVD-R will probably work best for you. Do not use DVD+RW or DVD-RW, they will not work on most PS2's

3. DVD Decrypter is the easiest, and one of the best program to back up your games so i would start with that one.

4. Swap Magic can not play a back up on a dual layer (DVD9) disc. So you have to either rebuild it to fit on a DVD5, or get yourself a good modchio installed instead.

5. when burning a game make sure nothing is running in the backround, and do not use your computer at all. Burn an 8X speed DVD at 4X and it should work fine

6. make sure that your burners firmware is up to date which will help alot with media compatibility and burn quality

Last edited: Jun 13, 2006
  10. fatjohnny

fatjohnny Guest

can I use TDK brand dvd+r's to backup ps2 games?

11. steimy

steimy Active member

You can try. Some PS2 play them just fine. Mine both will. And my friend swears by them. I like Philips 8X DVD-R the best so far out of the brands i have tried
    I like the DVD-R better for games, especially if your burner can not booktype DVD+R to DVD-Rom
    Which i do not think a Sony burner can, at least my Sony DRU700A could not.

12. indian9

indian9 Member

Hi all,
    Thank you everyone,for your prompt and helpful replies.Guys here are really hard-working.Iam suprised to read some of the posts,in which the memebers say that they use CloneCD,Alcohol 120% etc. softwares to burn their PS2 games & did not have any trouble playing on their PS2.They never mentioned that they have to use Swapmagic or any other tools to make the game work.So can anyone tell me if there is really any way to make things work without Swapmagic & Flip tools.The following is my PS2 info,if it could help you:

Version Browser:1.4
    CD Player: 2.00
    PS Driver: 2.00
    DVD Player: 3.11 U

Mine is the new slim PS2(2006 model,I guess).So guys,if anyone of you,haven't used Swapmagic,any types of Mod tools & have not done any mods to their PS2 & are able to burn & play the games,please reply back & let me know of how to proceed with it.I am buying a Maxell
    DVD-r media to burn my game on it & check it without using Swapmagic or any mod tools.Iam going to use DVD encryptor.I have all the softwares. But someone please tell me if they have met success without using anything else.Thanks a ton to all,for thier patience & time.

13. dan168

dan168 Regular member

The short answer is no, the long answer is no, you can't play backups without modchip/swap magic. Let's just say, there's no free lunch in life :) Swap magic + a set of magic switch is probably your cheapest option for a slim PS2: http://www.swapmagic3.com/

14. indian9

indian9 Member

Hi,
    Thanks "dan".I got it.One more question.I have read some posts where they said that some members have burnt the games & used Swapmagic to boot it and they haven't used a chip or tool to remove the DVD.Instead of using a flip switch,when i boot the PS2 with Swap magic,can i just open the top of the PS2 manually(just as you do to put in a new game to play) and replace the Swapmagic disc with the backup DVD of my game & expect it to work?
    Thanks.

15. dan168

dan168 Regular member

Your two options for swap magic are:
    1) fliptop (which I think isn't necessary for a slim PS2)
    2) magic switch or something similar. Now there's straw and tape mod somewhere on the forum... I don't have the link for it cos I never used it, but have a search here and in google and you should find it. The good thing about the straw/tape mod is that you can do it out of... straw and tape :) Which will save you a few dollars buying the magic switch thing

You can't just hit the open button on the slim PS2 and swap the disc - the PS2 will know that you've opened the lid and will check the game again before it loads. The whole point of using a fliptop or magic switch with swap magic is to avoid this second check (on the game itself) so you can play backups

16. Lumbastio

Lumbastio Member

I am sort of confused about how to burn a playable game. I have a PS2 game backup (MK:Shaolin Monks). It had many rar files inside so I unrared everything to one large ISO file. Now I'm trying to burn this image to a DVD-RW (in case I make mistakes) using Nero 7. I tried everything - UDF mode, image burning mode, DVD data backup mode and still nothing. How can I burn the file to DVD so that I can play it on my PC?
    I tried both - burning the ISO file directly to the DVD and extracting the files from iso and then burning them. Nothing worked because when I load the DVD, the game doesn't load - only a files window.
    When I try to use "make udf/iso" file, nero says that the file is too big (over 2GB).
    Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2006
  17. steimy

steimy Active member

a few problems with the above unless you just mistyped.
    you can't play PS2 games on your PC
    Nero is ok, but not your best choice, get DVD Decrypter
    then follow this tutorial. Since you did not create this with DVD Decrypter, when it says load the MDS file, you just load the ISO file instead
    http://home.earthlink.net/~moderator/id3.html

If you were to do this with Nero you would use the image burning part of Nero under the DVD tab. there are plenty of tutorials on the official Nero webpage for this.

Also, did you get Swap Magic and the other mod you need
    or did you get a good modchip.
    If not there is no reason to bother trying to burn games as you will not be able to test them.

18. Lumbastio

Lumbastio Member

I actually don't play video games and know almost nothing about them. Since I am building a new computer, I just wanted to see how the graphics would look. So you're saying I can't play PS2 onPC at all? Must it be xbox?
    Since I am just going to use this to test my PC speed (once or twice), I really don't want to buy it and that's why downloaded it (emule).
    So are there special versions just for PC?

19. dan168

dan168 Regular member

Why would you be playing PS2 games on Xbox????

No, you can't play PS2 games on a PC, end of story (for now anyway). There's plenty of software to test your PC speed (depending on which aspect you are looking at), but not this.

20. steimy

steimy Active member

if you really want to test it, go online and find a copy of the PC version of a game that requires a good graphics card and processor
    Something like Half-Life2 or F.E.A.R
    that will be a good test for your PC