U S LOGIC Divx DVD PLAYER

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by rick5446, Dec 27, 2005.

1. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Just started this thread.Hope their will be some response
    Their are a lot of people interested in Divx DVD Players,so know matter what kind of Player U got[make & model] help us all out.Just post your PROs & CONs here
    Also where U bought it..Reliable sources are an important factor
    More & more local Retailers are starting to handle these players,as the popularity grows,also prices are getting more in line with REG DVD Players.More features are being added,like the US LOGIC being able to handle the QPEL [Quarter PixEL (DivX, video), "QPel"]
    Also what type of media works the best & what don't.But I guess today most media problems have been corrected,except for good & bad.But this is going to be a problem till the world ends
    Well I guess thats all for now SYLA [See Ya Later Alligator]

2. MannyVjr

MannyVjr Member

Hello to all...

I'm new to the Divx scene. I don't encode yet, I just use what's floating on cyberspace (mostly anime right now). I use a Mac G4. No PC in my household yet.

I bought the U S LOGIC from CompUSA for around $45.00 +tax (I got the $20 2-yr warranty).

I was interested on this player to play my .AVI files that I have on DVD-Rs and some DVD+RW.
    It did play about 75% of the files.
    I found that a batch of episodes only played the first 10 seconds only, then skipped to the next one.
    The player has problems playing my home-made DVDs (on DVD-R), a lot of stuttering which I always find on "hi-end players", because the cheap generic ones play them without problems.

I just got the player yesterday... i believe more testing is in order... when more questions arise I'll be back with them.

Peace

3. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Sounds like U may need to run your AVI's through NanDub..I'VE HAD know problems with my player [ USLOGIC ]BOUGHT at COMP USA

4. MannyVjr

MannyVjr Member

I'm using a Macintosh :)

I'm doing some tests with [ffmpegX] to reencode them.
    I took some of the files that won't play right on the standalone (they either play only 10 seconds then freeze and abort or the video would be blocky, choppy and inconsistant).

I could play a previously unwatchable file, when I ran it through the ffmpegX, I just need to find the right combination of bitrate and file size so that it could approach the quality of the original.

ps: for some reason I played a previous file that wouldn't play right. It was fine from beginning to end, but when I finished watching it, and tried to play it again and the same problems arose (video unwatchable). I tried to no avail to play it right again, but couldn't. :(

5. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

@ MannyVjr..Try this
    the audio was probably not made carefully enough...
    The quick & easy fix is to re-interleave your AVI, using: probably NanDub would be best
    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/ndub/nandub-binary-1.0rc2.rar
    You need to set both audio and video to 'DIRECT STREAM COPY'.
    Then use Save as AVI [F7]..under FILE to save your new AVI..on a diff drive or diff file on same drive
    BELOW IS A METHOD FOR OUT OF SYNC AUDIO & VIDEO
    You cannot SLOW the AUDIO down, instead you must increase or decrease the video framerate.
    For example, if it is standard 23.976 you could change it to 23.984
    There will be a recommended framerate listed, which will allow the audio and the video to finish
    at the same time (which is what you want :)

I know it says for AUDIO,But this has done many wonders for me
    Let me know what Vids your having problems with other than ANIME,& where U got them,I'll look into it if I can

6. MannyVjr

MannyVjr Member

So... NanDub works on MacOSX?

7. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

@MannyVjr..Don't know not fam.W/MAC..U might asl around or just give it a try,U got nothing to lose

8. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Heres another player to hit the retail market

At:CircuitCity
    Astar DVD Player (DVX6881)AST DVX6881
    • Progressive scan
    • DivX compatible
    • Multi-format playback
    • A/V versatility

Price was:$59.00
    You save:-$11.01
    You pay:$47.99
    Mail-in rebate(s):-$10.00

Progressive-scan playback: When connected to a digital TV, this versatile slim-line DVD player delivers smooth, enhanced progressive-scan (480p) images.

DivX compatible: For your added viewing pleasure, you can play DVDs that are in the DivX format.