1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK HDTV

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by TruthMan, Sep 23, 2005.

1. TruthMan

TruthMan Regular member

today in UK i saw an £800 HDTV 20" for real in 'comet' (the electronics store, i went in and had a look, not online, u have to see it for yourself). they ran HDTV samples off of it and its totally real. £800 HDTV is BY FAR THE CHEAPEST I HAVE SEEN.
    I tell u now HDTV IS QUALITY IT LOOKS AMASING, NO WONDER EVERYONE SAYS GET AN HDTV FOR THE GAMES. IT WILL KICK ARSE TO THE MAX, GET ONE FAST..........
    i never expected it to be that good. plus combined with unreal engine 3 and great games and all that power of the 360. gees i cant wait... its gonna rock.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2005
  2. mkaseatgb

mkaseatgb Regular member

Im over in America where we can get the HDTVs cheap (not to brag or anything) and I have a 55' widescreen HDTV Its was definatly worth every penny i spent on it, Trust me, the 360 is gonna kick @ss with its HD games.

3. furydog

furydog Member

mkaseatgb what kind of t.v. do you have(LCD,Plama,DLP,CRT RP) because I'm looking to buy one to play the XBOX 360 on.

4. mkaseatgb

mkaseatgb Regular member

I got a Rear projection CRT. Its about 5 years old but has just a good picture as any new LCD TV

5. TruthMan

TruthMan Regular member

HDTV is bloody brilliant, simple as

6. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

I'd like to remind everybody in Europe that people are being screwed over "so-called HDTV compliant" products by all electronic companies now. Good example being Philips, whose 52" plasma TVs have big labels "HD ready" and dumb people jump up and down and cough up e4000+ for such units. Only to realize 6 months later that the real resolution is 1384x800 or something.

What you need to look for, when buying a HDTV, is that its native resolution must be 1920x1080 or exceed it. Anything below that and you are pretty much wasting your money. If you don't understand what I mean, try this: if you have TFT monitor on your computer, find out its native resolution. Most likely for 15" screens this is 1024x768. Now, go to your Windows settings and change the resolution to 1600x1200 or so. The full desktop is still there, it just looks crap. Same will happen if your TV has lower resolution than what is set to be the standard HDTV resolution in Europe (1920x1080).

AFAIK, cheapest real HDTV displays cost about 5000 euros in Europe and 6 months ago when I checked, only total of three models were available here in Nordic.

7. TruthMan

TruthMan Regular member

yes there are MANY shops and online sites that sell 'fraud' HDTV's.
    but i assure you the 20" one i saw WAS 1920x1080, and it was running HDTV samples off of it.
    there was also many more bigger ones with that resolution running but their prices were the usual very expensive ones.
    i wouldnt post the info if i wasnt sure about it being a 'real' HDTV ready TV.

8. thecraigc

thecraigc Regular member

yeah they r cool, im trying 2 get 1 for my room (40")

!!thecraigc!!

9. Logik666

Logik666 Regular member

10. TruthMan

TruthMan Regular member

nice. 40", that will cost a bomb, but i salute you for doing it, hehe.

11. 72morgan

72morgan Regular member

I have a 62 inch Mitsubishi HDTV with DLP. It is awesome , you can see the blades of grass on the football field and reflections on the helmets. The only way I can describe the picture is it is WET. Remember how some sets in the past were sold with the picture or pixels surrounded by black for definition. With HD there is no black or grainyness. Wet almost like you are there not watching on a TV. Truly awesome picture.

12. 72morgan

72morgan Regular member

One last item. Definitely go for the biggest screen you can afford and that will fit into your room. My wife wanted a 52 inch because it would fit better.Since we would have this TV for a long time , I went for the 62. We are both glad that we did. My brother got a 27 inch HDTV a year before I got my set. I was NOT impressed. It was only after I saw HD on a BIG screen that I wanted one. HD in my opinion on a small screen is a waste, do not waste your money. A small screen does not do justice to the HD picture.Bigger is better.

I upgraded from a 36 inch tube that weighs 200 plus pounds.I can not get my hands around it, never mind move it. The 62 inch DLP is 110 pounds moves easily, is only 14 inches deep. It is in the same spot , a corner of the room, that the 36 was and because it is only 14 inches deep. It fits deeper into the corner and is almost a foot further away from me.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2005
  13. GlueEater

GlueEater Regular member

Not many ppl are going to get 360 at it's full potetial cause it supports 720p and those tv sets run at around 5000 US. Most HDs out there are 1080i which is good until you see 720p.

14. mkaseatgb

mkaseatgb Regular member

GlueEater, please know what you are talking about before you say something totally off-topic just to bash a gaming system. Any TV that runs at 1080i runs at 720p, and they dont cost $5000 USD unless you live in Europe, then they are more expensive, but witht the conversion rate they are still not 7500 EURO (roughly) or 9000 GBP.

15. GlueEater

GlueEater Regular member

My bad mkaseatgb I was thinking about the PS3 and how it's gonna support 1080p. Just kinda had a brain fart. And on me being off topic. I was the first one to post in a whole day, so I wasn't really concerned about continueing a topic that's been dead for a day. And the thread's about HD tv so I wasn't totally off.

Again sorry for the wrong info.

16. TruthMan

TruthMan Regular member

well any HDTV will do just fine for me, im 17 so NO WAY i am gonna get a 62" beauty, waY 2 much cash.
    ps. the GBP is a higher currency than all dollars and euros, so whatever dollars (US or CAN, or AUS) or euroes things are priced it will be less in pounds, but equal value (hopefully)

mkaseatgb 7500 euroes will not be £9000, it wil be less than 7500.
    69 Pence is 1 euro. (i cant be arsed to do the maths)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2005
  17. 72morgan

72morgan Regular member

When we went to check out the HDTv`s a while back. We could not understand why on one trip a particular set looked great and on the second trip it sucked. It turns out the store has a master control for ALL the TV`s . He could change the channels on all 200 tv`s at once. Once your eye gets used to the difference between HD and normal tv , normal TV looks grainy. When a HD TV is showing a HD picture it looks great, come back a week later and the same set is set to a normal channel and you would pass up the set because the picture quality sucks for a HDTV. They say this is common, once your eye gets used to HD, everything else pales in comparison. I chose the 60 DLp because I could afford to and cause it was thin ,14 inches and fit better in my house. But for the most part,once all the HD sets were set to a HD picture, they all looked good. Some of the older Mitsu clearance models were like 30 inches deep , too boxy. The pictures were comparable , they are after all HD, after that it was appearance, do you like the way it looks? and cost. I still would not waste my money on a 20 incher

18. mkaseatgb

mkaseatgb Regular member

@Truthman I kinda screwed that up. I based my estimates on the conversion rate when I was in Europe over the summer. I meant in all of Europe, it would be $7500=5000 EUROS (very rough estimate :) And about $9000 USD=5000 GBP

19. TruthMan

TruthMan Regular member

hehe, lol , yea i could tell but it was funny anyways.
    hmmm, hdtv, whats the cheapest and smallest REAL hdtv anyonme has come across, cos i wanna buy one and have it in my bedroom next to my bed and my future 360 beast.
    if there is a 14" HDTV in UK it should be like under £300 because that 20" one was around £500.
    now that is cheap for HDTV. (UK ONLY PLZ)

20. 72morgan

72morgan Regular member

Computer monitors of 14 and 15 inches are long gone and unacceptable. No one seems to make or wants one. 17 inch seems to be the minimum standard for a computer monitor that you use from a foot or 2 away, with 19 and 21 inchers getting more popular. Why would anyone want to watch a 20 inch TV from across the room ? Even in HD, does the set come with binoculars??