unexpected reboots **NOT A VIRUS*** so help me!!!

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by pinkerton, Feb 25, 2004.

1. pinkerton

pinkerton Member

Hello

Ive posted this topic before, without much luck it getting it sorted! Can anyone help.

To help you, to help me I know this for a fact!
    ****ITS NOT A VIRUS****

its as if i acully hit the reset button accidentaly! Just reboots, when i disable automatic reboots, it blue screens...
    This only happeens randomly...!?!? theres no pattern

Been told it could be:

Bad ram
    My adsl usb modem
    crap harddrive

please help me :)

2. Mufasa33

Mufasa33 Member

I also have experienced a couple of random shutdowns. Most have occured when I have been running multiple programs that take up RAM. It could be that your RAM is bad or you do not have enough of it. Try finding more about what the causes are, it may be something other than the RAM.

3. pinkerton

pinkerton Member

Ive also heard it could be lack of power?!

Its so frustating! it gives no warnings, just reboots

:-(

4. erichm

erichm Guest

OK this could be a lot of things.

Check your bios and make sure cpu throttling is off.

Also check your powersupply. Is it really light weight? That is the sign of a crappy power supply.

Also if you post your system specs it will be easier to help you.

5. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

pinkerton it could be anything I had a pc do not so discimilair to what you describe for over a week engineer came out replaced the power pack was positive it was that .......only system carried on after he had gone so I decided to investigate within 2 minutes of taking the back off I found a dozen or so capcitors had spiked at the top ........can tell you was not pleased cause the dum shit took it apart looked and didn't even notice them ......not much help but the problem you describe could be alotta things:)
    DaOsT

6. PsYmOn

PsYmOn Guest

He he ..... I had this problem for many months , the problem even came with me when i upgraded my PC !

I finally narrowed the problem to the USB driver for my cable modem !

DO NOT USE USB DRIVERS from your internet vendor just go directly to the company and get them !

And YES the problem with vanish !

***email removed by moderator***

Ps .... My cable modem is a motorola !

Let me know how you gone on !
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]- - P s Y m O n - -[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2004
  7. standy

standy Member

Just been through the same thing with my PC ..random reboots.
    As the others have said could many things BUT mine turned out to be MB/CPU Temperature problem .. the fans had stopped working.. unless you take the lid off your PC and have a look you may not know. Try MBM5 software from http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ ..its free.

8. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

PsYmOn am sure others will tell ya not wise to leave ya e-mail lying around

ReguardS

DaOsT

9. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

it could also be a bad network card, i see it quite a bit more than you'd think really. Always random, never a sign or warning. the only way i pinned it down in the beginning was it always seemed to happen when i was downloading at over 50k, but it also happened when the machine was idle.

10. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

This can also be caused by software conflicts. I recently installed Yahoo Messenger so I could chat with a friend who's on it all the time at work. Starting the next time I rebooted, my computer would shut down randomly. I eventually figured out that it was a combination of that program and Daemon Tools that caused the problem. Now there's no reason why those 2 programs should have problems together (that I know of), but apparently they didn't get along well on Windows XP. Of course with Windows XP I've seen so many cases of unrelated software conflicting on 1 machine when it doesn't on others that I'm never surprised by it.

Another time I had random reboots it was caused by an ATA100 cable that had a broken wire. The PC was fine until Windows 2000 got too many errors during a data transfer, and then it rebooted.

11. pinkerton

pinkerton Member

Right my system spec!
    [bold]athlon 2.1GB
    Geforce 2
    392,688kb RAM
    Windows 2000 (all updated packs etc...)
    300w PSU[/bold]

I even changed my motherboard,processer thinking it was that, but no... ive had diff graphics cards etc. Only thing ive kept the same is my psu, ram and hdd.

I have zone alarm running... but nothing tooooo big to eat up my RAM, i'll try your suggestions... but to me it just randomly started happening... it goes days being fine, then starts to f**k up.
    I do also have a pipex adsl usb modem. I use the drivers which came with it.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2004