1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[unsolved] Help with Mario Kart Wii backup NTSC

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by Fiilex, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Fiilex

Fiilex Member

Hello, thanks for reading this and hopefully this won't take too long :p

I have recently SoftModded my wii using BannerBomb and have installed some WADs as well (channels), one of which being DVD Dumper. I have recently successfully dumped an .ISO of Mario Kart Wii onto my computer through Wi-Fi, which I then burned and tryed launching through WiiPower's NeoGamma R4 beta application, which has also worked wonders in the past for me with other games. It was NTSC and it seemed to boot up fine, displaying the 'Tighten Wrist strap' message. I clicked 'A' as I normaly do, but then it displayed a black screen and then nothing else. My first instinct was 'Oh, its just a corrupt image' so I went ahead and chucked out the disc and dumped a new one, then burned it, then launched it. Same deal. I then checked the .ISO file size: 4,589,824kb. The standard, as all my other wii .ISOs are the same as well. So, I am dumbfounded, and come to here for help.

I am burning using IMGburn (the latest release) using Verbatim DVD-Rs at 2x speed (the auto speed IMGburn seems to like and only uses). My burner is Sony DVD +-RW DW-D56A.

I have tryed this with a downloaded copy of a PAL Mario Kart Wii version using 'Force NTSC' option in launch to see if it would work, and it does, but there are some bugs in the image and it is a lower sized image as well so obviously I dont use it :p.

The thing is, in the PAL version I burned it just skips the 'Ratings bla bla bla ESRB' statement in the beginning which shows up when booting the official Mario Kart Wii disc produced by Nintendo. This is also coincidentally when my burned copy hangs up.

So my question is: What should I do to fix this? Should I use This Guide or will it not help me at all? Thanks for your time. - Fiilex.

2. Chaos17

Chaos17 Regular member

What version of cios do you have installed?

3. Fiilex

Fiilex Member

I believe I am running IOS 249. I have downgraded from my previous version in order to get WADs to install correctly. Though, I dont see how this is relevent seeing as I can normally boot the non-backup version just fine, but nonetheless hopefully that clarifies things.

Also, I have previously owned and played a copy of Super Smash Brothers Brawl on my wii previous to the SoftMod, as some are saying this helps play Mario Kart Wii by installing a update?

Also on a side note, I am installing Dolphin Emulator in order to check the integrity of my .ISOs.

Hope this helped, Fiilex.

4. Chaos17

Chaos17 Regular member

Well I dont care if its relevant to you or not install THIS anyway.. :)

5. Fiilex

Fiilex Member

I will try that! Thanks a bunchles :D

6. Fiilex

Fiilex Member

This did not work after all...
    After successfully downgrading to the described IOS through Network installation, I booted up the Mario Kart Wii DVD, and again, it hung up on the 'ESRB Ratings' message.
    Any further insight to this would be appreciated.

Fiilex.

7. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

Use rev 9 not 13b. I've had issues with 13b and none with rev 9

8. Fiilex

Fiilex Member

I will try that also. Thanks for your support.

9. Chaos17

Chaos17 Regular member

Ok.... If you had issues with 13b thats fine but why would you go all the way back to 9? 12 is stable 13b is stable (On all my wiis.)

As for your issue Fiilex Im gonna let someone else take this one most of the time when games wont work its cause ppl dont do the extra steps sections in the softmod guides. Sorry I couldnt help more man good luck.

EDIT: What am I thinking have you ran IOS Downgrader Fiilex?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  10. Fiilex

Fiilex Member

Nope. No dice.
    Anyone else?

11. Fiilex

Fiilex Member

Oh and no problem Chaos thanks for all your help dude, really. Atleast you tried to help ;P

12. brucedlx

brucedlx Regular member

try downloading an image of MK Wii from online and see if it works. If it does there is something going wrong with your ripping process.

13. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

It's not an exact science. All my games work with rev 9. Any release since 9 has given me issues on select games. Rev 9 is the only cios that will work with ALL my games (including PAL and NTSC)

14. Fiilex

Fiilex Member

I have downloaded a copy of MK Wii PAL version and it did work with some errors under force NTSC. I believe it was a corrupt image but it did work. I have not tried downloading a copy of an NTSC MK wii (through torrents) due to lack of seeders, but would it make a significant difference? Perhaps it is the ripping process that is not working, but it is the right exact amount of data for a Wii image, 4,589,824Kb? I do not have a SD or USB stick as big as 5gb, simply a 2Gb SD card and a couple of 1 gb usb sticks, so I cannot confirm whether or not it is or not my ripping process. Thanks for your support though, I will look into this.

15. brucedlx

brucedlx Regular member

I'm not sure about wii, but when I rip a dvd with corrupt sectors or fingerprints, the ripping program corrects for it by skipping it, and when I play the dvd back it skips over that one section, or lags, or some other error. That may be happening with your original MK Wii copy, so I would look into downloading NTSC one. You can get it from rapidshare/megaupload sharing forums if torrents are no good (although for a game as popular as mk wii I find that hard to swallow).

16. Fiilex

Fiilex Member

I have played through my NTSC copy of MK wii and there seems to be no errors or lags, and it displays the ESRB ratings message on the actual copy so why wouldn't it display on the backup?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  17. brucedlx

brucedlx Regular member

Now that you mention it, I had problems back when MK Wii first was released, almost the same, it would show in the disc channel that mario kart wii was in there, but the game would hit black screens once I pressed start.

I used a different type of media and it worked. But it seems like you are using verbatim already so I don't know how much good that would do you...

18. Fiilex

Fiilex Member

I'm glad someone else has at least experienced and understands what is occurring with my copy of MK Wii haha. I just downloaded and installed a WAD of a much better disc dumper that actually seems to know what its doing, and I burned the game, went to try it out and, fancy this, my TV dies. Lol. Now I have to purchase a new TV and haul out this old clunker before being able to even attempt to play my burned game. Nintendo doesn't make it easy to make a backup of your games hahaha.

19. Chaos17

Chaos17 Regular member

Damn your having some bad luck there Fiilex... You should treat yourself to a huge Flat panel.. lol

20. Fiilex

Fiilex Member

Lol for sure for sure.