Upconverting CSS encrypted titles

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by Vrex, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Vrex

Vrex Member

I have read that DSS encrypted DVD's will not be upconverted via HDMI on most upconverting players, and that the only way to upconvert these titles is to first make a backup copy (removing DSS). Can anyone confirm this?
    I don't undestand why the DSS encryption would make any difference. After all, the DVD has to be decrypted before displaying the contents, regardless of the type of encryption used. Furthermore, a good HDTV should automatically "upconvert" all input signals to its native resolution. Can anyone shed further light on this? Thanks.
    If this is true, then the value of upconverting players is greatly diminished.

2. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

3. Vrex

Vrex Member

Good suggestion! Here is their response (which I received very quickly, almost immediately!):

The DV-970HD, DV-980H and DV-983H supports component based upconversion, but are restricted to 480p if the source material is CSS-encrypted. Almost all commercially mastered DVDs support CSS-encryption. There are third party firmware which will defeat the CSS compliance on the DV-970HD, but these firmware are not supported by OPPO Digital, Inc.

There is no known firmware which will remove CSS compliance on the DV-980H and DV-983H.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
    OPPO Digital, Inc.

4. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

yeah there tech support is great I;ve talked to them several times. at least you can backup the dvds removing the protection so it will upconvert

5. mackdl

mackdl Regular member

This has me puzzled. I am using a Toshiba HD player to upconvert my SD dvds and it will upconvert all my original css-encrypted dvds to 1080p (actually I can upconvert the main movie portion to 1080p/24fps) through HDMI.

If I was to use component cables, (the red, blue, green ones)then yes, the restriction would be only 480p. Back-ups remove the restriction.