Upscaling or HD Player?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by BLUERIDGE, Mar 27, 2008.

1. BLUERIDGE

BLUERIDGE Member

I'm planning to buy a Sony 40V3000 next month. I will connect my receiver and speakers. I will mainly watch DVDs and sports. Some of the DVDs are backup copies I recorded. Also I have DirecTV hooked up.

What's the difference between an upscaling DVD player and HD DVD player.
    The TV has 1080p and two HDMI connections I believe.

Thanks for any help.

2. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

An upscaling DVD player can only play SD DVDs. An HD DVD player will play HD DVDs as well as, play SD DVD.

Even if you just want to watch SD DVDs, go with the Toshiba HD DVD player. Simply for the fact that they are so cheap right now. If you were to go and buy an upscaling SD DVD player, in the class that the Toshiba would be in, you would be paying about 200 to 300 dollars. Not all upscaling players are the same. Some have better upscaling capabilities.

If that isn't enough to persuade you, check out the awesome prices of HD DVD movies right now.

Deep Discount - HD DVD

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2008
  3. BLUERIDGE

BLUERIDGE Member

Thanks goodswipe. That's good info. Will check the link right now.

Thanks again.

4. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

The best upconverting HD DVD player was/is the Toshiba HD-XA2 (but pricy) If you want only a super upconverting SD DVD player the following

http://www.oppodigital.com/dv983h/

5. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

I think the HD-A3 will do the job. Try Amazon for that one.

6. tripplite

tripplite Guest

7. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

im wondering about this too. so would it be wise to just get an HD-DVD player? even if i dont plan on getting an HD-dvd and only upconverting?

8. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

9. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

ok. i plan on getting an hd-a3. does that have a good upscaling capability? better than stand alone upconverters?

10. tripplite

tripplite Guest

goodswipe--getting fancy i see! you and your fancy links that move to a certain part of a page~~its like your a magician:)

really if you have the money go crazy get it....people are saying its amazingly better then a upconverting player (compared to LG3510a 1080i and such) if i had the money id probably get it or the Toshiba HD-XA2 like iluvendo said .....

some ppl say they get error messages and such when using VGA (RGB)....but with the HDMI (or HDMI to DVI or anyother config) cables it seems to work flawlessly:)

11. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Yea, that was something that had been fixed with the 2.0 FW. Update to the latest FW available and you should be safe. I own the HD-A3 and I think it's an excellent upscaling machine.

Yea trippy, I've been practacing my magic moves over the weekend. I can make things disappear now.

[​IMG]