Use Canon GL1 as streaming av input e.g. videophone

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by bluechips, Jan 3, 2007.

1. bluechips

bluechips Member

I want to connect to my daughter with audio visuals and eventually the rest of the widespread family. To start, I have a pc, she a mac. I was going to get us both cams and read that if you have a dv cam it has much better quality and functionality. I have a Canon GL1 mini DV with dv (4pin to a very thin sandwich connector)and av output from a minijack or 4 pin svideo. She has a more uptodate Sony DV with her Mac. If you can describe the means of connectivity, application and interface to make these effectively into a nice high end video phone it would be appreciated. No one at Canon nor Apple service was able to explain it, though they thought it could certainly be done. The Canon folks referred me to this site. Thanks...blu.

2. sdifox

sdifox Regular member

so you want to turn that GL1 into a webcam??? that is one expensive webcam :)

You got a IEEE1394 card for your pc?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewire

There should be a PC mode on your GL1. Assuming you have a IEEE 1394 port, you can connect your GL1 to the PC, switch over to PC mode on the GL1 and start up your favorite webchat too. You should be able to select the GL1 as camera then.

3. bluechips

bluechips Member

sdi, thanks, appreciate the quick response...will check out the details (ieee and pc mode)....the gl1 is simply a matter of having an operator based cam set up on a tripod with which we can share more kids and folks at play away from the pc with greater range and quality...i just stumbled on the idea because logitech no longer has a cam for the mac evidently the mac cam doesnt adapt well to low or transient light nor distant events, so this seemed like a great idea if it works. will keep the thread posted. thanks..blu