1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Used DVD Shrink-Now how do I burn ?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by jcsqerly, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brobear

brobear Guest

Did you check it out with Recode or similar programs? An added plus is that it decrypts for most programs without going into a long process like shrink and decrypter. Decrypter and Shrink are excellent programs. There are also newer programs on the market that can use the difference offered.

[bold]All of these programs are good, some are better for particular applications.[/bold]

2. 64026402

64026402 Active member

DVD43 does this also. I use it with recode and the results are excellent.
    I was hoping for something that Anydvd does differently or better.

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I just downloaded and installed DVD43 from the official web site just moments ago and then I copied the information diretly from the read me files included with the application. Why would the author say that Patin couffin is needed if it's not true? And where did you hear that it was no lnger needed? Post the URL.

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

64026402, brobear is right on target, also
    , exactly, you don't notice it at all. I have yet to come across a movie anydvd didn't work with. You just go straight into whatever program you're using never even knowing it's there. Not knocking dvd43, it worked also. But brobear is not the only one I've heard having problems with it. [​IMG]
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]........Dell Media4600, XP home,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz, 512MB, 280 HD w/8MB, 17" flat panel, AIO-A920, 8x DVD-ROM, integrated 5.1 audio, HP dc4000, Plextor PX-708UF[/small]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2004
  5. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I just downloaded from afterdawn.com and noticed the note before download and in the read me file.

From DVD43 download area on afterdawn.com
    UPDATE: DVD43 is now stand-alone, which means it now works without the VSO's Patin-Couffin driver. Also, support for Win9x/ME has been implemented.

As for anydvd I still haven't read anything hear about what additional features it has that are different from dvd43.
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Donald[/small]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2004
  6. brobear

brobear Guest

We're all just happy it works for you. One should always use what works on their system. As software is a lot of preference as well as function, some floats some folks boat and some don't. Be happy and as I said before, forgive this poor old ignorant soul for saying there could possibly be a flaw in the new flavor of the day.

Did I mention I also know how to use regedit and DOS to manually edit as the registry tools don't always do the job. Don't believe me, check some of the manual fixes involved on Semantic's database.

The download was from yesterday. Yes the little green light came on. No, it would not work with DVD2one, neither will AnyDVD. Hated having the popup system 32 folder and didn't need it as it couldn't do anything new. Problem causer and no advantages. So I used Add-Remove, checked Program Files, removed the dirty remnants, ran a registry tool and rebooted. Seems in my lethargy that I must have forgotten an obvious step, for I am being the village idiot.
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]'brobear'[/bold]

[​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2004
  7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Go to the official web site and download it again and reinstall it. Stop when you come to the read me file and you will see that Patin Couffin is needed. Personally I have no issues with DVD43 but I can see how it might run into conflict with simialr funtion allpications. There is also a shareware version that has been circulating on aferdawn. After 30 days you see a popup telling you that your trial period has ended. Go to the site below and check it for yourself.

http://www.dvd43.com/
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

8. brobear

brobear Guest

Ouch!
    Now the freebie has changed into trialware. Will wonders never cease?

[bold]BEWARE: There is another version of DVD43 in circulation (ver 2) that is NOT FREE and expires after 30 days - it stops working and points you to a website to buy a third party product.

DVD43 only works with Win2K and WinXP. If you have Win98 or WinME, I suggest you use
    DVD Decrypter which allows you to rip all the files of a DVD to your hard disk.[/bold]

Thought I'd just throw in the disclaimer for DVD43 from the official website. No go on 98 and ME according to the horse's mouth. Love that Decrypter, the old backup.

Hope ya'all got the right version, or you get a nuisance call from the software.

[​IMG][/small]

9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

What's going on? When I downloaded it, the site specifically stated that it was stand-alone and Patin Couffin was not needed and it worked for me. Is mine a trial version now? [​IMG]
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]........Dell Media4600, XP home,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz, 512MB, 280 HD w/8MB, 17" flat panel, AIO-A920, 8x DVD-ROM, integrated 5.1 audio, HP dc4000, Plextor PX-708UF[/small]

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

There is a warning at the offical web site about a version that's being sold, if you go the the web site I posted it is still freeware. I'm curious brobear, where did you get the copy that you had problems with from. If somone has hacked the freeware version in order to add an lunlock code to, it could have corrupted the code and caused you problem. I just got rid of the damn CD player.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Sophocles, Is the website you posted still require Patin Couffin or is it stand-alone? [​IMG]

12. brobear

brobear Guest

Sophocles,
    Downloaded from here at AD. Let's go low tech and mow...

[​IMG][/small]

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It requires Patin Couffin which for me was no big deal because I use CopyToDVd which also requires it. where did you get your copy from, I would like to check it out.

14. brobear

brobear Guest

Sophocles,
    Patin Couffin is related to SP1 and XP. I'm assuming you're up on all the updates and you're using XP, I forget (the lethargy and all). Anyway run an extended search in files, folders for name and not file. Lots of word files on the subject. Look to setupapi a Notepad document in Windows System 32. Interesting coincidence that. As you're more knowledgable on the subject you can inform the masses once you check out the notes. I found 7 note files and a log.

15. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Sophocles, here ya go... UPDATE: DVD43 is now stand-alone, which means it now works without the VSO's
    Patin-Couffin driver. Also, support for Win9x/ME has been implemented. ...
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd43.cfm - Cached

To 64026402: DVD43 even states when installing that it doesn't have all the features of Anydvd, for one, regions. PS-brobear, I also ran a search, nothing ( I have XP) [​IMG]

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I use Windows XP pro and my files are all up todate so you are correct in that assumption. The setupapi should be in windows system and the setupapi.dll is in system 32. Setupapi is a log file tht is used to record information about device installation, service-pack installation, and hotfix installations. Setupapi is a Microsoft file, it isn't part of the Patin Couffin engine but it could be listed there.

follow the link

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...ry/en-us/install/hh/install/setupapi_53on.asp

17. brobear

brobear Guest

Bigorange
    If you did the SP1 install, there would at least be notes. Search as word or phrase in file (second line)with Patin Couffin as search word, go down and in advanced options, check system folders, hidden files and subfolders. You should get the notes there. Click on the file name found and it takes you to the folder. Not bad for the village idiot, huh?

18. bigorange

bigorange Active member

already did that brobear, did it again just to make sure. I'm not totally lame(just partially)PS-u still ain't mowed that yard have ya? [​IMG]

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Thanks bigorange, what I'm cuirous about is how it differs from the version that is on the official web site. If you follow the link that you posted and then go to the homepage you're still in the forum. I've also read where the version downloaded from AD disables itself after 30 days. Guess I'll have to look a litte harder.

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

bigorange

This is information from the web site about the differces between the two. I think that the version from afterdawn is a newer version and I got mine from the DVD43 web site. This is statement from the site

BEWARE: There is another version of DVD43 in circulation (ver 2) that is NOT FREE and expires after 30 days - it stops working and points you to a website to buy a third party product.

The versin on afterdawn is version 2.o I checked, I will unintall the verion I currently have and see if I can get to the web site before 30 dasy are up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.