1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Used DVD Shrink-Now how do I burn ?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by jcsqerly, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woof811

woof811 Regular member

also srink/nero/ritek g04 is the recipe i use

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

It seems that you're all on the right track but I haven't seen anyone say after selecting DVD Decrypter mode as an ISO Write mode, go down on the main page, below Destination and make sure that the box that says “verify” is un-ticked (This last one will cut down on DVD Decrypter errors.)

With that done your burning should be error free :p)

Pete
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent 4 CPU 2.84GHz, 1024MB RAM, 520GB HD.
    4 Drives, Pioneer 107, 8X R/W , Nec R/W ND-1300A, JLMS DVD ROM, AXV CD/DVD-ROM. GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB,
    OS– XP [/small]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2004
  3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Should anybody continue to have difficulties - let us know and a guide will be forth-coming -

Pete

Last edited: Apr 16, 2004
  4. michigan

michigan Guest

Pete,
    What's this about a guide?

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I say, Iffin ya read da threads around here-a-bouts you'll come across an "Uncle" ScubaPete Guide :p) - YA FOLLOW ALL THE DIRECTIONS AND ALL OF THE SETTINGS -
    Anyway, it's a big thingie - Kind of looks like this -

Here we go, step by step - it can't fail, "Uncle" ScubaPete's can't miss "We're going ta burn a DVD backup right now, youngin's'" Guide to backing up :p).

To begin with, let's create a folder for your HD backup. . This is the place on your HD where DVD Shrink will work on your movie files and DVD Decrypter can pick them up to burn to disc. Try to put it someplace where you won't forget it (i.e. C:\ All My DVD Work\"Dumb and Dumber Meet the Parents Out for a Kill get Eaten Alive").

To make sure we don't miss a step; PRINT THIS GUIDE OUT NOW !

Next download DVD Decrypter and under "Mode" select "ISO, Write". Un-tick the box that says "Verify". Where it says, "Source", you'll leave that blank as DVD Decrypter will find the location of your backed up DVD file automatically. Lastly, where it says "Destination", select the drive where your burner resides. Feel free to close DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink will open it when it needs it.

Here's the link for the newest DVD Decrypter -
    http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

Download DVD Shrink. Open it and click "Edit", then click "Preferences" on this page we're going to select "DVD Target Size" as "Custom" and set the size between "4300" and "4360MB" - we do this to make sure that we don't write too close to the edge of the disc. Then under the "File I/O" tab un-tick "Enable burning with Nero" then click "OK"

Here’s the link for the newest DVD Shrink -
    http://www.dvdshrink.org/

Now you can place your original DVD in your DVD-ROM drive and a DVD blank in your burner's drive (If you have two drives). If you only have the one drive, put your original in that drive now. When the time comes for you to put in your blank in either the drive door will open OR a message will appear. As for your DVD blank media, THIS IS IMPORTANT. Poor quality DVD blanks are responsible for a host of copying errors and hence, failures. Look for a thread dealing with backup media where we'll discuss DVD media in depth. But for now, PLEASE acquire some of the following recommended media for use with this ScubaPete "mini-guide". Quality media would be Sony, Phillips, TDK, Ritek G04, Verbatim "DataLife", Verbatim DataLife Plus, Ridata or any media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO", Taiyo Yuden's and generally, almost any discs manufactured by Mitsubishi are excellent bets. -This might be a good time to use a DVD RW. We won't use them regularly because for 1, many older DVD players don't play them and 2, they cost too much (Lol). We want to use them now because if we make a mistake, it won't cost us a disc. When we get our steps down we'll then switch to our single-write media.
    Now let's burn a DVD. Today we're doing a total backup, that's all the things on the original disc. There's no problem in doing this as long as we do not see any "Red" on the size bar at the top, right-hand area of DVD Shrink's program. (If you should see some "Red" there, on the size bar, simply "un-tick" any foreign languages, Director's comments or DTS sound boxes until the "Red" disappears.) With no "Red" visible on the size bar we just let the "Automatic" (Default) settings alone. THEN we select "Backup". Take just a second and under "Target Device" go to "Select backup target " once there, select "ISO Image File and burn with DVD Decrypter."
    Now, under "Quality Settings", if it's SPEED you're after, "un-tick" the box which says, "Perform deep analysis" and "un-tick" the box for "Compress the video with high quality adaptive error compensation". This will give you acceptable DVD backup. If it's QUALITY you're after and have some extra time to spend, "tick" Perform deep analysis before backup to improve quality" AND "tick" "Compress video with high quality adaptive error compensation." There you may adjust quality enhancements. Practicing with the settings can produce even better end products. For a no-frills DVD's like "There's something about Mary" I like Extra Smooth BUT for DVD's with a lot of special effects, I use the Extra Sharp setting. That's for me, you'll have to decide what you like :) If all the boxes are "grayed out" that's OK, it means your DVD is small enough that little will be lost from the original. Finally, where it says "Select target image file", browse till you find your created folder for your backup and click "Save". That's it ! Click "OK" and DVD Shrink begins the process that burns that ISO image to your HD. What that means is DVD Shrink then opens DVD Decrypter and has it burn the ISO image to your waiting blank DVD.

Don't use your PC for anything at all while it's working.

When your PC is finished with the backup, she'll let you know :)

Remember, when you want a guide with warped personality, Shop ScubaPete

Enjoy,

Pete

Last edited: Nov 6, 2004
  6. Veblin

Veblin Active member

"Uncle" ScubaPete.

There is one thing missing in your Guide.
    You should point out to people that this only works if you are using a NTFS partition. Anyone trying that with a Fat 32 partition will get an error because of the 4GB file size limit. They will need to format or convert the partition to NTFS.

The only way to use that method with a Fat 32 Partition would be to set the “DVD Target Size” as custom and set the size as 4096MB or less. It would then work but I would not recommend it. That would cause lower quality video and waste DVD space.

7. michigan

michigan Guest

Veblin,
    Good catch, it seems that lately there have been quite a few people with that exact problem showing up, begging for HELP.

8. compgran

compgran Member

Pete, another questions. I only recall downloading and installing DVD Shrink and the Patten Couten thing. However, DVD Shrink appears to be what was burning my DVD. Is it built into the latest DVD Shrink? Thanks, CG

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Sadly, you are correct. I have forgotten our brothers back in the "el Stone"O" Ages" - 'tis truly a bad ScubaPete am I - :(

compgran,

No, DVD Shrink isn't burning your DVD's. Depending on your settings, it may seem that way though - when Nero or Decrypter are setup properly it appears that DVD Shrink is doing the toasting but in fact, your burning programs are truly at work - behind the scenes, so to speak -

Kind of neat isn't it ??

Pete
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent 4 CPU 2.84GHz, 1GB RAM, 520GB HD.
    4 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, Nec 4X R/W ND-1300A, HP R/W 200j, AXV CD/DVD-ROM. GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– XP.[/small]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2004
  10. michigan

michigan Guest

Oh yeah that guide. Sorry, bad Michigan bad buy the way Moderators it might be helpful to put this at the begining of the Forum with the "closed" threads that are rules etc. this guide is one of the best for newbies. Pete love the pic in your sig!!!

11. compgran

compgran Member

It really is neat. I'm extremely impressed. I'll download DVD Decrypter too. Want to be the "well equipped Granny". Thanks! CG

12. ProfesrPC

ProfesrPC Member

I thought this was too good to be true. I downloaded the Nero trial. To get a registration number only direct from Ahead software is $69.99.
    Eagletronics is selling the Full Nero 6 complete with registration for only $35!

I received my CD in the mail within 3 days. It is the CD only. The manual is on the CD. All I really needed was the registration number to activate my trial, which it did. The CD also contains recode, and all the other tools that make Nero so popular.

Last edited: May 5, 2004
  13. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I just wanted to say that Alcohol 120% has just moved to the top of my list for burning images.
    It's only 49 dollars and will run as many burners as you can install. It will copy and keep track of DVDs and CDs and is easier to use than nero. It also burns all the image types I am aware of including nero compilations and Clone images.

It also mounts the images so you can test the movies and check for the need to edit before wasting a DVD.

I still use DVD decrypter and shrink for the rip and first burn. I also use my free OE nero 6.0 updated to 6.3 for the occasional need to reorganize and burn from files.

Try the 30 day trial of Alcohol 120 especially if you have more than one burner. It is just to cool to ignore.

I am settled on prodisc and supermedia DVD-Rs with AZO. The burns have been far superior to other cheaper media. Smooth playing all the way to the edge of the disk.
    I still use ritek branded and verbatim for my favorite movie backups.
    Media is such an important place to do your reseach.

14. michigan

michigan Guest

That is an EXCELLENT price for Nero anyone thinking of gettting it should think hard about getting it for this price

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I do so wish that all Newbies felt that way -

I sometimes feel like bashing my head against the wall when trying to convience them that at least with DVD Burning, Media is as important as the backup software.

Pete

16. Digibop

Digibop Member

Hello All,

Does anyone know if the Nero 6 OEM Suite is just as good as the retail version or does it just contain the essentials for copying your DVDs and CDs?

I have seen it in several websites for around $8.00-$9.00

If it works for what we need, it would seem to be a real bargain.

Thanks,

Steve

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there Steve,

Welcome to our little Club :p)

OEM is a stripped down version of Nero much stuff is missing i.e. Nero ROM, necessary for burning VIDEO_TS files (a movie), It is enough so that if you are using DVD Shrink Nero will burn it for you. It's just enough to wet your taste for the whole thing which, as you know costs $$$$.

For the same $9 or $10 - OK, a couple of bucks more, you could "Google" for Nero 5.5, and buy a S/n for that and have a bunch more. The thing is, Nero 6 has so many bells and whistles (Written B&W) it's a good buy but not at $70.00. -

If you want to bad enough, someone had a link for a place selling Nero 6 for under $50.00 within the last week - I don’t know what thread had it -

Anyway, if you don’t find that you would be much, much, much better off getting Nero 5.5 than Nero 6 OEM -

Pete

Ps - if you find it, PM me with the link :p)

18. michigan

michigan Guest

The link that Pete is talking about is in this thread up about 6 posts :)

19. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

20. noinsults

noinsults Member

Does anyone know why when i backup a dvd and replay it some of the times the end plays in slow motion, i am using my internal burner software, not all the dvd come that way, but some do

thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.