1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Used DVD Shrink-Now how do I burn ?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by jcsqerly, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellizit

ellizit Guest

This can sometimes be because you are attempting to burn to the very outter edge of the disc. In Shrink this can be fixed by setting the disc size (Edit > Preferences > Select Custom and enter 4400 mb).

Let me know if this helped any.

2. Aro

Aro Member

Hi, i've got another question..

I've backed up a dvd to my harddrive, so now i've got a bunch .bup .ifo and .vob files. But when I make an image, will the subtitles be included? Is there a way to make sure I get the subtitles included with the burn, or are they simply included in any of the .bup or .ifo files (i have no idea what these files 'do')

btw: it's perfectly possible to burn dvd's using dvd shrink.. I do it all the time, if you don't believe me, i'l make you a screenie of the burning screen etc.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog[/small]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2004
  3. dks142

dks142 Member

I have used Nero Recode, DVD shrink, DVD X Copy, DVD X One, etc. Anyone know what Nero error "unspecified target error" means? Recode & X Copy have been most successful, but almost half of the blank discs get wasted after copying to harddrive.

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Noinsults,

The adjustments to the “Target size” should be 4360MB. It’s not much difference but it will provide you with a little wiggle room and all the “Slide rule” types give 4360MB as the correct size. Actually, the max on a DVD isn’t 4.7GB it’s 4.36GB.

(I believe this was written by herbsman )

The difference of 4.7GB DVD and 4.36GB DVD -
    While the manufactures advertise the size of a DVD as a 4.7GB DVD disc it’s not true. It’s because they calculate what 1GB is differently. A DVD will hold 4700mb but that is not 4.7GB that is 4.38GB because 1GB is not 1000MB it is actually 1024MB. Manufacturers do this false advertising all the time so you think you are getting more than you are, They do it with Hard Drives also so if you buy a 120GB Hard Drive it isn’t really 120GB it is actually more like 114GB. (I think that’s right - lol) At any rate, we prefer to calculate the available writing space on a DVD as 4.36GB to include the reverse math and also provide a bit of room for overhead :)

Pete

(Thank you ellizit, good call)

Aro,
    When you backed up your DVD, if you didn’t delete your subtitles they are still right there in your IFO’s (information files), your BUP’s (backup information files, and your VOB’s (the place where your movie as a whole lives).

They should all live in a folder called VIDEO_TS (written just like that, in caps).

I have already printed the answer to your erroneous statement, don’t feel bad, I was looking for a hyperlink earlier and didn’t look UP. Anyway, I brought it down for you :p)

I will say that it works so well it seems like DVD Shrink is doing it - you’re not the first to be fooled :D)

So you don’t look silly in de Forum, before making your little “screenie” to show everyone, please do the following -
    1. Open DVD Shrink, go to “Edit”, “Preferences” click on the “File I/O tab” - now let’s be fair so please under “Burn Settings”, “Un-tick” the box that says “Enable burning with Nero” (you’re almost done) now click “OK”.

2. Now just in off-hand chance you’re using DVD Decrypter (which seems highly unlikely), when you click “Backup” you won’t have any objection to “Un-ticking” the box which says “Launch DVD Decrypter to burn the output image”, would you ??

OK, we’re done :)

Pete
    (Being fooled isn’t bad, making a deal of it “if you don't believe me” might be better done in a PM)

dks142,

Don’t you mean, burning FROM the harddrive ?

You might want to look for some of the many, many posts on the importance of DVD backup media. It is more important in this particular use than any other application. Tis true, tis very true.

It has all the signs of a media problem -

Cheers,

Pete

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent 4 CPU 2.84GHz, 1GB RAM, 520GB HD.
    4 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, Nec 4X R/W ND-1300A, HP R/W 200j, AXV CD/DVD-ROM. GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– XP.[/small]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2004
  5. ellizit

ellizit Guest

impressive post, very nicely put!

6. 922588

922588 Guest

Hi,

some comments on what I have been reading here.
    Concerning the size of a DVD.
    In fact, I have been working in the storage area for some year now. The standard calculation concerning memory is using base 2. 2^8 = 1024.
    This is how it calculate the size of memory.
    Concerning disk, industry standard is based on base 10.
    So this is opposite to the way that all software calculates the MBytes free on a disk and this is why you have that difference.

Concerning DVD Shrink, I have tried to use the ISO functionnality, but unfortunately, I've failed because of my FAT32 disk which is limited to 4GB file size. DVD Decrypter developper have one point on this by splitting file bigger than 4GB.

cheers

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there 922588,

I'm now about to show you how completely stupid one can become with age -

Somewhere around 200 zillion years ago I remember there was a program, whether it was, something you could do with ISO Buster or Magic ISO it allowed you to take ISO images under your 4GB limitation so it could be used by the fat32 HD's.

I know I'm not making a lot of sense but somebody out there will know what I mean. (Windows 3.1, 98 and fat32 HD's seem like sooo very long ago)

We'll figure it out 922588, honest we will - Someone that has fat32 will give us the answer -

8. dks142

dks142 Member

Hey ScubaPete,
    I just updated my firmware for my HP 200i. Would an outdated version have caused random write errors only a small part of the time? I haven't tried the updated software yet, I'm waiting on more discs to arrive.
    dks142

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

It's possible but frequently it's the media -

10. noinsults

noinsults Member

thanks for your responses.... is there a link to show the proper setting for the newest version of dvd shrink?

thanks

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

If you didn't like my guide or all the guides at the top of the page, or if you were just too lazy to bother to read my guide or even look there up there, here is another link for you -

http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/user_guides.htm

and before you ask, no I will not read it to you -

Pete

(So hard to believe they refuse to even attempt look for another guide)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    4 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, Nec 4X R/W ND-1300A, HP R/W 200j, AXV CD/DVD-ROM.
    GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– XP, SP1.[/small]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2004
  12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey there my little friend Aro, are you still there ??

I didn't mean to scare you off there little Buddy, I just had to straighten the record - there might be other Newbies out there sitting in the corner reading and the truth has to be for them to see -

Come on back, read some threads anmd join in, we all make mistakes - but we all learn from them -

cheers,

Pete

13. ray52

ray52 Member

Hi,

I'm using DVD shrink and DVD descriptor to Burn dvd but haing problem to use the DVD descriptor to burn it to disk. Using DVD shrink I can copy the dvd to disk, the files are stored in the location: C:\moviename\VIDEO_TS\.
    The files have .BUP, .IFP and .VOB extensions. What is image file?
    Now I wanted to follow ScubaPete's direction to burn using DVD descriptor, but cannot follow the following part:
    -----
    Now, take just a second and under “Target Device” go to “Select target device” once there, select “ISO Disc Image”. NEXT, IMPORTANT, tick “Launch DVD Decrypter to burn the output image” box. Finally, where it says “Select target image file”, browse till you find your created folder for your backup and click “Save”. That’s it ! Click “OK” and DVD Shrink burns that ISO image to your HD. It then opens DVD Decrypter and has it burn the ISO image to your waiting blank DVD.
    Don’t use your PC for anything at all while it’s working. -
    -----
    I cannot find the menues “Target Device”, “Select target device”, "ISO disk image", etc. Can you please let me know where you find them (dhrink or decrypter)..
    Many thanks,
    ray

14. noinsults

noinsults Member

Thanks for your help ScubaPete, but there is no need for you to be NASTY...

All i wanted was a guide 3.1.7.6 version of dvd shrink, as i DID look for guides, but all i found were previous versions. I've been having error messages and just wanted to make sure my settings were correct.

(It's a shame people can be knowledgeable and arrogant at the same time)

15. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Scubapetes remarks were not arogant or nasty. Don't take offense every time you get your hand slapped a little by one of the main guys. Petes very nice. You should read more of his posts to appreciate his effort and experience.

The target device shows up when you hit backup.
    ISO is an option on the 3.17 verions.
    Of course the specifics are in the guides and posts if you search. Thats what I did.

I have a big ego so I usually do the searchs first so I don't have to look as dumb as I actually am.

Nero 6 and DVDdecrypter have produced the most readable DVDs for me. Nero 5.5 works but the DVDs don't play on as many stand alone players.

16. twomile

twomile Member

Yes A guide would be great one using shrink and dvd decrypter
    thanks

17. ray52

ray52 Member

I could burn a DVD using DVD shrink and DVD Decrypter. I used Verbatim DVD-R disk. My OS is Windows XP and have 1GB RAM and 40GB disk space. The burnt DVD quality picture quality is not as good as the original one! I tried the same burn using my DVD Xcopy gold (it has only problem that it cannot put the entire thing in one disk!) and I cannot distinguish between the origial and the burnt one when I play them separately. When in DVD shrink, I chose compression setting "Automatic" under the "Video" menu. What was the problem...any suggestion..does Nero give any bette quality burn as compared to Decrypter.
    thanks.-ray

18. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there Ray, Welcome to the Club -

Look at the top of page 2. Your problem is that you are having Shrink kick out VOB’s - which Nero will burn in a snap - BUT you’ll need to change Shrink to kick out ISO’s instead of VOB’s. OR keep your VIDEO_TS folder and use Nero in the Classic mode - If you need a guide for that, let me know and I’ll be glad to hook you up -

Cheers, Pete

Now to you noinsults,
    Quote:

Thanks for your help ScubaPete, but there is no need for you to be NASTY...

Actually, there was, laziness needs to be recognized !
    Quote:

All i wanted was a guide 3.1.7.6 version of DVD Shrink,

Where to start - OK, how about looking at the top of page 2 for my complete guide for the latest Shrink 3.1.7 and DVD Decrypter - settings and everything. No I don’t know where to get an old version guide - your 3.1.7.6 is old - Too lazy are we to download a current version ?? I think so !
    Nope we couldn’t do that, did we look for any guide at all, nope, I’m betting we didn’t. Look at the lengths of my posts and the lengths of yours -
    I’m a cripple you Twerp, I type with 2 pencils, eraser end down, one in each hand - try that - Naaah you’re too damn lazy - “Help me” this, “Help me” that - do something, anything and I’ll be impressed -

Any guide for any DVD Shrink works just fine - have you tried any at all ?
    Have you tried my guide, even once ?

That’s why I said, No I won’t read it to you - Seeing your lack of ability to do for yourself - it’s what everyone who reads this expects -

Pete

_
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    4 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, Nec 4X R/W ND-1300A, HP R/W 200j, AXV CD/DVD-ROM.
    GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– XP, SP1.[/small]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2004
  19. noinsults

noinsults Member

All I can see Pete is I guess you told me, lol

Guess I can read, I read your message loud and clear

20. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

(Wheeew, now I feel a whole lot better -)

Hello twomile, so sorry, I didn't mean to exclude you

As you've seen, a complete guide is at the top of page 2 - follow the steps EXACTLY and you'll be frying DVD's in no time. :p)

Iffin Ya need more help, let me know Buddy :D)

Pete

Hey Ray,

I don't understand your poor quality using DVD Shrink - I suggest un-checking all the Audio you don't need and deleting all the extras and trailers using re-Author -
    When you click re-Author just drag over your main movie from the right side to the left side and leave the rest behind, your quality will improve greatly

The best quality I've seen is DVD2One, it has a 30-day trial use for a 30-minute section of a movie but I thought it was so good I bought it. It is super for putting 2 or 3 DVD's on a single disc :p)

Give it a try -

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.