1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Used DVD Shrink-Now how do I burn ?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by jcsqerly, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Alrighty there noinsults,

Let's starts over, you take a little bit of time checking the threads and trying to follow a guide or two and if you hit a bump, we'll help you over it -

I just don't care to do all of someones work myself -

Peace,

Pete
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent 4 CPU 2.84GHz, 1GB RAM, 520GB HD.
    4 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, Nec 4X R/W ND-1300A, HP R/W 200j, AXV CD/DVD-ROM.
    GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– XP, SP1.[/small]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2004
  2. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

I use Shrink/Nero6/and Ritek G04's and I haven't gone wrong with this combination. I've made over 60 backups with no coasters.

3. noinsults

noinsults Member

Hey Pete

I did read some of your posts, and I took your suggestion to others and ordered some ritek G04 dvds, will see how they work... although I havent had any problems with the ones I was using, but these were a great price.

Yes, I will read the threads first them ask if I still am confused or dazed and not in a drunken stupor, lol

No harm done

Peace unto you

4. mia33

mia33 Member

HI - Newbie here. Just getting started - have yet to burn my first dvd. I have decrypter, shrink and nero... am ready to go, but... I read that if I have Roxio (which I have used and liked to burn music cds) that I should uninstall the Roxio before I install the other programs. I have already used Roxio and have saved my cd info (music itself is in a different file) just the cds that I have compiled are in Roxio. Before I do anything, what is you guys' advice? Thx -- Mia

5. woof811

woof811 Regular member

i dont have roxio though in the past ive used it the version was easy cd creater 5 platinum .
    right the answer is uninstall roxio and nero which may sound mad but the two programs dont get on in fact roxio screws nero up .
    once you have uninstalled roxio then re install nero its the best for burning dvds, i have nero 6 and use it with no probs .
    iff you are on windows xp and are running a ntfs file system you can use dvd shrink in iso mode and burn with dvd decrypter in iso mode , im pretty sure someone has posted a guide to show you what to do .
    the conclusion being that roxio conflicts with most burning programs , so no one i know has roxio installed with other burning programs , hope my two pence worth helped , happy burning :eek:)

6. mia33

mia33 Member

Thanks woof. I will uninstall roxio - which is part of the cd creator package. Question: which probably sounds foolish, but, what do I use to burn music cds? Does Nero do that as well? I have the decrypter, shrink and nero, and will install after I have uninstalled the roxio. I'm just concerned about loosing my work (music cds) - really no biggie, but would also like to have a program to burn music cds - any thoughts? open to suggestions - especially before I go and do something I regret - or that really messes up my system!

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I know what you mean, I did like Roxio for my music CD's. Nero does music BUT I think you'll like windows Media Player just fine. Not as "Pretty" as Roxio but it does a lot more :)

Time to blow Roxio out of here -

Enjoy,

Pete

8. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Set a Restore point! That way you can go back if you decide you don't like your changes :)

9. mia33

mia33 Member

Nephilim - restore point? ok, now I'm really showing my ignorance, but... I'm sure that it's probably something quite simple, but I've never done it. So, how do you set a restore point?

10. mia33

mia33 Member

Hey Scuba,
    You're right - media player isn't as pretty, but I also found that roxio is easier to use. It was just more obvious in its layout/design and features. The look was right and easy to follow. How does Nero compare?

11. Nephilim

Hi mia,

System Restore is a windows utility that will keep track of changes you've made and allow you to go back to an earlier configuration i.e. before you made changes that didn't work out.

Here's the skinny:

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

Once the System Restore window opens there will be an option Create a Restore Point which you will select , click next, give the restore point a name and then click Create.

Now if you're not happy with any changes you can go back :)

12. Aro

Aro Member

waha, yes i'm still here.. :).. i kinda forgot I had posted something here (my problem was solved in the meantime, but thanks anyhow!).. but when I checked my mailbox today it was flooded with 'someone posted a reply on afterdawn.com'-emails @_@ so..

Yeah, I noticed those things too when I was messing around a bit with my dvd-shrink settings the other day.. everything is under controle now :)

And I didn't want 'to make a case' or something, I just thought I had it right :).. it happens, sometimes :)

and 'screenie' is just a word us gamers like to use for 'screenshots' (at least where I come from :S)

anyhow, thanks for your help and your explanation :)

[edit] corrected some bad english :S
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog[/small]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2004
  13. mia33

mia33 Member

Nephilim -- You Rock -- much appreciated!

14. Digibop

Digibop Member

Pretty interesting info here.

Hello Again All,

I was browsing around a digital camera website when I found the following link.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/story.jsp?story=513486

It tells how CD-Rs and even DVD+/-Rs lose data after just a couple of years.

A lot of CD-R and DVD+/-R companies boast lifetimes of 100 years, but this researcher disagrees.

Anyone got a thought about this?

I will also post this in the media forums, but there was some chat about the quality of media in this thread also.

And by the way, I agree with all the guys earlier that mentioned not buying cheap media.

Why waste your time with junk.

I have used Verbtim and Fuji in the past and have never been disappointed.

Hope this helps.

Steve

15. Nephilim

This is where some people mess up thinking cheap media is so great when they get the initial burn to work. There was a post in the media forum a while back where the poor guy had burned over 100 (Memorex CMC I believe) discs omly to find out a year later that quite a few of them were now unreadable! Better media will oftentimes weather the years better :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    JMLS-166S/Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium[/small]

16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Mia33,

I found WMP better than Nero BUT I was using Nero 5.5 and have never tried 6.0 (I've got it, just never did MP3's on it)

Pete

Steve,

Thank much there guy - I've posted the following and have gotten flak back from that - Thank you for some ammo to fight back with and to bolster my conclusion -

Pete

A time thing ?
    One thing I haven't addressed is the life of a backup made on an "el cheapo" disc. Points of fact, inferior discs have a tendency to "Break down" in time. I have had 25 to 30 backups that have refused to play after being stored for a year or more. I test all of my backups when they are burnt to be totally sure that there are no problems. "In olden times," before I knew any better, the Maxell and TDK discs (and any thing that was on sale) was what I used to use before I switched to Ritek and Verbatim, it is the cheap stuff that I have been experiencing trouble with. I noticed that backup DVD's I had been using refused to play in my standalone player and on my PC. VOB files wouldn't play either and other discs that I backed up about the same time would "Jam" part way through the movie. After switching to Verbatim and Ritek s, mostly the Ritek's because the price was right, I've not had 1 go "Flat" in almost 2 years. I still have some backups done on the cheap stuff and as time wears on I lose a few more as I attempt to check them. I say to you, why did a backup play fine in "01"and "02" then "fail" in "03 ?? Some that were done in "01" never made it till "02" and others done about the same time and "Failed" in "04"? All of the backups from "02" and "03", done on the "good Stuff" work fine today - not a single failure !

As always, you have a choice -

17. michegir

michegir Member

SOS
    I have ruined several DVD-R and DVD+R trying to backup my movie DVDs. I can easily backup my documents, but not movies.

I tried decrypter, and DVDshrink, everything works fine for decrypting and copying to my HD. When I use Drag to disk or Creator to burn my new DVD, I can only see it on my computer and not on standalone DVD players (I have tried 5 different recent players). When I insert the DVD in my computer, it works fine and I have access to the menus and everything on the DVD. There must be something I forget to check in the program...

When I read the guide DVD-R by Ritek it refers to DVD shrink 3.14 and the version I have downloaded is 3.1.7. I try to find 3.14 so I have the same version and I can't find it. But I don't think it is in the shrinking or decrypting process as it works well on my computer... it must be in the burning process. The file I copy is VIDEO-TS (and I tried also to copy AUDIO-TS even if it is empty). Should I copy something else to make it work on the standalone?

Can anyone help??? please

18. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi michegir, I don't know how your DVD Shrink works at all with Roxio on your system. There's no way any DVD backup program works with it.

Everything else you mentioned is top of the line. Your files are correct (there is nothing in the AUDIO_TS folder, it's just part of the whole VIDEO_TS folder).

If you wish to check out what's causing the problem, go to "Add/Remove" Programs, remove Roxio and then install Nero and follow these instructions and you'll have a perfectly burned DVD.

Do not use Nero Wizard.
    When you open Nero Burning ROM, you will be at the “New Compilation” window. Directly under the title “New Compilation” is a choice block to choose either DVD or CD, choose DVD. Directly under that click on the DVD Video Icon. Then click “New” in the upper right corner of that screen, NOT the main screen.
    You now are in the DVD Video window. In the left screen, click VIDEO_TS. In the File Browser screen, 3rd from the left, trace your path to the VIDEO_TS folder, the one you made earlier holding all of your files and click on that folder. All of your VIDEO_TS files are now opened in the right screen. Click on the top file, hold down the “Shift” key and then click the bottom file thereby hi-lighting the entire column of files. Click and (holding the left mouse button down) drag the entire column of files to the open screen, second from the left.
    Now click the icon on the task bar that shows a match on a disc, and then click “OK” and now shout out, “Burn Baby, BURN !” one more time, let me hear you say it, “Who’s your Daddy Now ???” Guess what my Friend ? You are done !!!

(Wheeew, now I really need a cigarette)

NOW, STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER ! !
    Keep all fingers and toes away from Ms. Computer. Never mess with the lady when she’s working – it would be hazardous to your health, you understand -
    Go and have your coffee, when Nero is done, she will let you know ;-))

Let me know how you did :p)

Pete

Here's Nero for FREE
    (If you want it later I can show you how to hook it up for $10.00)

A 30-day, free, fully functional Nero 6 download can be had here:
    http://www.nero.com/us/631939541422774.php

_
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent 4 CPU 2.84GHz, 1GB RAM, 520GB HD.
    4 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, Nec 4X R/W ND-1300A, HP R/W 200j, AXV CD/DVD-ROM.
    GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– XP, SP1.[/small]

19. michegir

michegir Member

Dear daddy-to-be,
    Thank you so much for replying so rapidly. But before I call you daddy I have to make it work. It will take several hours as I live in a rural area where I cannot get high-speed Internet. And the phone line is so bad that my 56K modem works, at best, at 28,8 Kbps, more often than not at 26,4 and sometimes the line is cut (yes even in 2004 some people still don't have access to regular phone lines).
    I have started downloading... but it will take several hours before I can give you any feedback. I keep my fingers crossed.

20. ashizuri

ashizuri Member

your eMachine is only 1.8mhz? that's sad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.