1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Used DVD Shrink-Now how do I burn ?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by jcsqerly, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mia33

mia33 Member

thanks - thought so - it was Best Buy, so that's what I get. Which is better - -R or +R? I did find a way cool site for DVD covers.

edited by Mod [dont need to know about pay sites for DVD covers thnx , most let you d/l them if you are a u/l contributor anyway...if not free]

Last edited: May 2, 2004
  2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

-R is more popular but either format is okay !

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Now THAT is an under-statement, Herbs Buddy !!!

And my 2 cents, in defence of +R's, the +R's are supposed to be a weee bit better product -

"P"

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

They are a better product and out of the two formats, +R will (in the near future) support drag drop onto disc features that -R wont. Its called Mount Rainier or +MRW

5. HBK

HBK Member

Do shrink copy the whole movies even with movie trailers

6. herbsman

If you mean does DVD Shrink copy the whole movie aswell as menu + extras ... then the answer would be a categorical YES !!

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Can u categorise that please?

8. HBK

HBK Member

ok i got dvd x copy down , now i need to learn this contraction lol thnx for the info

now u know how to take out the back up file from dvd x copy and does shrink leave water marks

9. herbsman

You can copy a back up using DVD Decrypter in ISO Read > ISO Write mode

And DVD Shrink doesn't leave anyting dirty like a watermark no !!: ]-~

10. HBK

HBK Member

ok this is wht i am having when i analise it dont get the ISO it gets the VOB BUP IFO cuz it has been done by x copy 1st so wht can i do

11. ray52

ray52 Member

Hi,

I was doing very well with DVDShrink (lastest version) and the trial Nero 6 follwoing ScubaPete's guides..The DVD writer that I have is a Sony DRX-530-UL (DVD-R4x). I remember that previously it was burning DVD at 4x speed.. But nowadays when I burn with DVDShrink (Nero is enabled in my DVD Shrink menu), it always burns at 2x speed...(it shows "Burn process started at 2x (2770KB/s)..
    I did not make any changes is settings lately..
    What wnet wrong..

12. grogey

grogey Guest

Ok - just one more post for today - must get back to those quilts and my little invention - grogey's home quilting frame........
    [​IMG]

Hiya Ray
    Sounds like you need to check your media - what are you using? Maybe it is only 2x. And even if it is 4x it may only burn at 2x with certain software. An example is DigiMedia DVD-R 4x - when I use Nero it will only burn at 2.4x even when I choose max speed.

Have you got DVDInfoPro? Worth downloading as you can find out all sorts of stuff about your media including writing speeds as well as being able to check your burnt disc for read errors!

Can't exactly remember where I downloaded it from and haven't got the time tonight to search for the link to the forum post for you ...... but if you do a google search or such I'm sure you will find it.

I'll be interested to see what disc info you get back on the media.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Grogeybear
    My best advice for NEWBIESis:"use the search function!
    THE BEST REVENGE IS TO LIFE A GOOD LIFE.
    Aim for charm not perfection.
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2004
  13. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

14. mia33

mia33 Member

Mod - that's right. the site that I spoke about lets you download free if you upload. It just gives you the option of purchasing "credits" if you don't choose to (or can't) upload your contributions.

15. ray52

ray52 Member

grogey, Oriphus...
    Thanks for your help. I tried with both Verbatim Datalife (DVD-R) and Ritek RiDATA 04 (DVD-R) and in both case it is writing (with Nero 6 trial) at 2x speed. I think I'm at fault and it never wrote at 4x speed with DVDShrink + Nero. I previously tried with DVDShrink + DVD Descriptor and that wrote at 4x speed. But I have the strange problem with DVDShrink + DVD Descriptor!! Everything works fine..the DVD burns and when I play the DVD it plays well..Then if I try to play the DVD again (by clicking my PC's F: drive or re-inserting the DVD in my F: drive), it opens up the InterVideo WinDVD 4 screen then it tries to play but it stays with blank WinDVD screen and nothing happens!! This happens with the Verbatim and Ritek04 both...
    what is wrong...

16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there Ray, we all got screwed around with this media thing - For a Birthday present (coming up this weekend) I just received 75 Verbatim DataLife. The recommended media is in fact - branded Verbatim or branded Ritek G04's OR any media boasting “Advanced AZO Metal Dye”, this indicates a superior dye application, while they are sometimes a bit “pricey” they are acceptable. The Ritek DataSafe 04 is part of the - "I really shouldn't have purchased that." group.

It's confusing I know and it just got a little worse. I wrote about an experience I was having involving "Dieing DVD's" -

A time thing ?
    One thing I haven't addressed is the life of a backup made on an "el cheapo" disc. Points of fact, inferior discs have a tendency to "Break down" in time. I have had 25 to 30 backups that have refused to play after being stored for a year or more. I test all of my backups when they are burnt to be totally sure that there are no problems. "In olden times," before I knew any better, the Maxell and TDK discs (and any thing that was on sale) was what I used to use before I switched to Ritek and Verbatim, it is the cheap stuff that I have been experiencing trouble with. I noticed that backup DVD's I had been using refused to play in my standalone player and on my PC. VOB files wouldn't play either and other discs that I backed up about the same time would "Jam" part way through the movie. After switching to Verbatim and Ritek s, mostly the Ritek's because the price was right, I've not had 1 go "Flat" in almost 2 years. I still have some backups done on the cheap stuff and as time wears on I lose a few more as I attempt to check them. I say to you, why did a backup play fine in "01"and "02" then "fail" in "03 ?? Some that were done in "01" never made it till "02" and others done about the same time and "Failed" in "04"? All of the backups from "02" and "03", done on the "good Stuff" work fine today - not a single failure !

As always, you have a choice -

ScubaPete has posted this in the past but only came onto this study as of 04/27/04 to support my theory. I am concerned that their time line is too short but am willing to consider it myself. Please, make up your own mind :p)
    http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/story.jsp?story=513486

cheers,

Pete

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent 4 CPU 2.84GHz, 1GB RAM, 520GB HD.
    4 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, Nec 4X R/W ND-1300A, HP R/W 200j, AXV CD/DVD-ROM.
    GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– XP, SP1[/small]

Last edited: May 11, 2004
  17. grogey

grogey Guest

For all the newbies who are either lurking around in dark corners or asking questions about how to back up their DVDs I'm here to tell you that Scuba Pete's instructions from this thread to really work!

Now that I have my "Burning Desires" all sorted out and seeing so many newbies repeatedly ask how to do this.......I thought I'd give it a try, step by step, word for word.

So here the log: Uncle Scuba Pete (aka sweetie pie)
    F:/MyDVDs/Anger_Manage check!
    Already have Decrypter installed check 1!
    Unticked Verify box check 2!
    Destination - selected E:\Liteon 411S@811S HSOK check 3!
    All done....... check!
    Yes sir!! Followed to the letter - Verbatim used as requested.

hehehehehehe yeah you did miss the steps telling the newbies how to open the disc and then hit the back-up button!! But that's ok.....methinks you did explain that further down the track in the forum but I'm not gonna read it through now as Final Destination 2 (to watch......watched 1 last night) awaits.

Click open disc\when disc loaded\click backup. In the pop-up box......

right-e-oh!! All done as requested. check!

Ooohhhhh wouldn't want to mess with Petey Wetey on this one!! So to fill in the time Grogey folded and ironed two baskets of washing; stacked dishwasher; put on another load of washing; swept floor; and packed school lunch boxes ........ all while watching the very gripping Final Destination.

The lovely sound of the finished burn came singing through the stereo and on entering the den of technology (otherwise known as Mum's Office) I discovered a 100% error free (DVDInfoPro) disc with KProbe PO max reading of 3, average of 0.1 !!!!!! (needs to be under 32) and PI Max of 239 (under 280 is fine) and average of 51.56!!!!!!!!

My absolute best burn result ever ever ever......

Grogey says
    Next test - grab Oriphus' guides and give them a go!!
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Grogeybear
    My best advice for NEWBIES is:"use the search function.
    THE BEST REVENGE IS TO LIFE A GOOD LIFE
    Aim for Charm not Perfection
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2004
  18. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

"My God, Oh, my God." -

(My legs are shaking and my knees are weak, I can't hardly walk, much less stand, under the incredible crushing weight of my head pushing down upon my straining shoulders - How could I possibly endure yet another compliment ? -)

Leaning against the wall, my head lowered, the point of my right shoe drawing lazy figure eight's in the dust just inches in front of my left - hoping the moment doesn't end -

EXCEPT,

It took me 23 pages of single spaced type and 4 days to write my guide and she put it all down INCLUDING CORRECTIONS in 2 short paragraphs using a total of 120 words -

(Ooohhh the shame, the humiliation of it all, I shall never again be able to hold my head up high, not even in my own home, sob, sob - - )

19. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Seriously, grogey bear darlin', Thank you -

smooches -

Pete

20. TheAggie

TheAggie Member

First things first:

[bold] GREAT FORUM] [/bold]

I'm about as new as it gets in burning DVD's but with the help I found here (and a couple of other places) I finally got everything up and running with almost no casualties (except perhaps my pride).

One suggestion I would give that I did not see here would be to check your DVD player and make sure that it will play DVD+ formats. I tossed a number of discs that would not play in either of my DVD players (played fine on my computer) before finally checking to see if the players supported the format. Of course they didn't and I spent a while sorting thru the trash to find my discs!

Thanks again (especially ScubaPete) for all the help.

Last edited: May 11, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.