1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

uTorrent still not green after forwarding port

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by ryberg31, Jun 20, 2006.

1. ryberg31

ryberg31 Guest

Please help, i tried everything from making a static IP to forwarding every port I knew of and still no port is opened, i tried all the guides, nothing, someone please help me. Much appreciated!

2. mistycat

mistycat Active member

I can't help but I had much the same experience with utorrent and any port I forwarded to. No matter what port I used, the utorrent speed guide would show it as closed. However, I would always get a green connection light in utorrent after a few minutes. This couldn't be explained on their forum and, after a week or so, cleared up so that the port now shows as open.

3. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

You have to froward the ports through your router than enter that port into Utorrent. If u do it the other way around, Utorrent will always indicate the port is not forwarded properly.

4. ryberg31

ryberg31 Guest

i tried that and nothing using port 40152.....will it change automatically or does it take awhile, also, should DHT be enabled thanks fellas

5. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

DHT should not be enabled if you are using private tracker, put for public torrents it s fine. I leave it off, because its just safer to have it off. So you forwarded ports through the router, then changed the settings in Utorrent? Thats how you should do it. Also, the Utorrent will not reflect the change until you restart Utorrent.

6. mistycat

mistycat Active member

As for me, it was always set that way and still showed as closed but wasn't. And then after a while (I forget how long exactly), the port started showing as open and has remained that way. But, during all this, I only received a red light in the speed guide, never utorrent itself. Only yellow there and then green.

7. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

Ya the only reason u recieved a "failed" in Utorrent speed guide was because u didnt first forward the ports through the router. That used to happen to me, and drove me nuts because no port would was open according to the speed guide.

8. ryberg31

ryberg31 Guest

now when i check to see if port is open and it says:

Welcome to the ĀµTorrent Port Checker.
    A test will be performed on your computer to check if the specified port is opened.

Checking port 49152 on 71.240.214.166...

Error! Port 49152 does not appear to be open.

Please see www.portforward.com for more information about how to map a port.

Please make absolutely sure that PeerGuardian2 or Protowall is allowing utorrent.com (208.99.198.134) in either of those programs. Those of you using ipfilter.dat should make sure the list does not include the website's IP. After making sure of this, re-run this test by refreshing the page (F5).

...but my IP is 192.168.x.x not 71.240.214.166...why is this showing up?

9. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Port forward.com shows my ip address incorrectly, too. That was part of the problem, initially. But,a command prompt showed the correct one. svtstang: Sorry,I don't understand. How would utorrent connect properly with a green light in the interface while showing the port as closed which spontaneously changed many reboots and many days later? I would think it wouldn't connect if the port was'nt forwarded, BitTornado didn't. ryberg31: The port may show as closed but you may still connect. If you are receiving a red light in utorrent itself, you may need a different client.

10. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

Now i dont understand, u really confused me. Also, the IP address that port forward shows is your routers IP address, not your comps. A port cannot be opened unless your router allows it to opened. Thus if u enter port 55555 in Utorrent b4 forwarding it, it will say "failed" or whatever that dreaded message is. But as soon as you forward port 55555 through your router, a test will show that its open for connections. Thats what I was saying.

11. ryberg31

ryberg31 Guest

my light is yellow now, never turned green once....but do I need a static IP adrres because i tried that and nothing seemed to work, I don't, might just go back to BitLord, thought I'd know how to use any P2P, but I guess not...thank you guys for all the help

12. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

Yes you need a static IP, or the ports will mean nothing once you turn off your computer and your IP changes.

13. ryberg31

ryberg31 Guest

i set my static IP at 192.169.1.50....is this right? will i need to forward ports again?

14. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

I dont know if its right...did u tyoe cmd in the "run" function on the start menu? If not, do that then type "ipconfig/all" and it will tell u ur IP address. Once u set it in your network connections, it will be your IP address untill u decide to change it, and the ports u forward will remain open. Once you forward ports when you have a static IP u dont need to do it again, unless your IP changes.

15. ryberg31

ryberg31 Guest

i set my Static NAT instead of a single static IP....this matter?

16. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

Not sure what you mean...I used the IP that was given to me when i typed ipconfig/all in the dos window.

17. mistycat

mistycat Active member

To svtstang. Sorry for being confusing. The ip address that portforward shows is neither my computer or my router address. Not even close, I assume it's my isp's address. After obtaining the correct address via command prompt, forwarding that to a port in my router and the same port in utorrent, utorrent showed it as closed, for at least a week but it was'nt and spontaneously showed as open many days and reboots later. utorrent's developer on the utorrent forum couldn't explain it. But, all worked out in the end.

18. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

Really, thats strange. Portforward was saying my IP was 68.whatever and i thought the same. When i went to my routers browser, it was the exact saem address, so that when i figured that out. Glad to hear you got it all working, it can be a pain in the arse at times. If thr Utorrent developer couldnt explain it, theres no way in hell i can lol. I will never say a am a computer wiz, but im trying to learn, and i guess thats all i can really do:)

19. mistycat

mistycat Active member

To svtstang: that's all anyone can do. It sorta sounds as if I offended you. If not, great. But if so, I'm sorry. That was not my intention. Yes, it certainly was an incredibly frustating pain, seeing a red light in the speed guide but not knowing if it was valid until the light on utorrent's main page went green.

20. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

@Mistycat

You did not offend me in the least bit:) I can tell u have gone through all the troubles that I have trying to get Utorrent to work at its fullest. Its a pain, but once u get it working correctly its a joy. No bad feelings at all. I have also gone through all the help pages and forums not finding the answers I was looking for. In my opinion thats the best part, getting it to work when their are no tuts expalining how to fix your particular problem:) Also, r u a member of any private trackers?