1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

uTorrent still not green after forwarding port

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by ryberg31, Jun 20, 2006.

1. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Yes, I'm a member of several private sites but only 2 that I would classify as good- Demonoid and Torrent-Damage. The others have a good selection but very few peers so it's almost impossible to maintain a good ratio. Have to be very selective. Of the public sites, I liked Isohunt and Torrentspy but recently got burned on a file at Isohunt with nearly 200 seeds and over 3000 peers. I knew to stay away from files that had never completed but not those with seeds so it's private for me from now on or IRC.

2. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

I never knew about torrent-damage. Do they offer a lot? Tired to sign up, said they were at max capacity, and needed an invite:( Hopefully they will boot some1 in the next few days. I love demonoid as well as Torrentllech, although, like you said, many torrents have very few peers/leechers and it hurts the ratio.

3. mistycat

mistycat Active member

I find Torrent-Damage to be very good, maybe better than Demonoid. But, I'm fairly new to it and still looking around and am not even allowed invites, yet. Just keep checking their site to register. That's how I got in.

4. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

Yeah, that how i got into demonoid, guess I just got lucky one day. I keep checking, they hot to be booting ppl left and right lol

5. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Member

I'm having this issue too. I have gone into the router, provided a range of forwarded ports for Utor1, then enter those into uTorrent. But I still am getting red for any port that is tested. Anything else I can try?

6. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

Do you have a static IP?

7. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Member

Yes I do. For exmple I've been dl'ing somethign thats 700 mb and ts been going for almost 10 hours now. It's in the 13kb - 20 range

8. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

Spunds like you need to go into ypur router, forward the ports, then forward them in Utorrent. Also, how fast is your connection, and how many seeders/leechers are there?

9. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Member

This is what I did.
    I went into the router (Linksys BEFW11S4)and entered uTor1 as the program, opened range like 52222 - 53571, checked the box for UDP and TCP, and checked enabled, and apply, I rebooted, put in a number in the box for uTorrent in that range.

When I test the port it tells me that it isn't opened. I have made sure that my firewall allows uTorrent incoming/outgoing. I have Road Runner and the fastest I've tested is just under 5mbs.

I looked at the one I was dl'ing and there were 101 seeds being conncted to 11, and 290 leechers connected to 11 again. When I left for work it was aroung 16 kbs.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2006
  10. ryberg31

ryberg31 Guest

i started this because i had a problem of my ports not being open but they were...anyway, i had to make my F-Secure Antivirus make sure it allowed my IP to accsess TCIP and UDP, after that my light became green instantly, so maybe its your antivirus...just because you allow it, doesn't mean the ports or you IP is allowed

11. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

Ounds like you dont have a statci ip mx6bfast.

12. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Member

My pc has a 192.168.xx ip from my router, but my modem has an ip of 24.xx as long as I don't power it off or disconnect the rg6 cable. If I do power off I get another ip address in the 24.xx range. Is that what you mean by static ip?

13. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

Nope, that means you have a dynamic IP. Static IP nevers changes, even after you turn your comp off. Its easy to change a dynamic IP into a static IP.

http://portforward.com/default.htm

Go here, and click on forwarding. Then you will pick the router you have, then u pick Utorrent, and it will guide you through the process. Just ask if you get confused, i did my first time;)

14. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Member

Thanks for the assistance. Re-reading my post I didn't make myself clear.

My cable modem keeps the same ip address as long as I don't unplug/disconnect the modem. I can keep the same ip no matter how many times I reboot my computer and/or linksys router. I have gone thru these steps a couple of times to confirm that I have done the right thing.

15. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

Are you using utorrent? Because you dont have to enter rnages of ports if you are udin it. I have always used port 22500 and after making a static IP, the green light goes on ASAP.

16. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Member

Yes I am using uTorrent 1.5. I'll try that port when I get home. I'll try it both without and with the port.

17. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

Sonds good, hope his helps a bit:)

18. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Member

I tried port 22500 and made the range of 22498 to 22502 in teh router and it's still yellow at the bottom of the screen. Said:DHT (login)and now it DHT: ### nodes. I tested and it's still coming back red.

19. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

Stop using a range! Enter in that single port. Also turn DHT off, just cause mre trouble than its worth. If its not turning green after this, then I can pretty much gurantee you dont have a true static IP

20. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Member

I'm at my whits end. Here's what's going on.

I took out the range and didn't notice any difference. The same with turning on/off DHT. I added the ip addy/dns into my nic card settings that I got from ipconfig/all. No change. I am still here after I chose another port.
    -----------------
    Welcome to the ĀµTorrent Port Checker.
    A test will be performed on your computer to check if the specified port is opened.

Checking port 32564 on 24.92.x.x...

Error! Port 32564 does not appear to be open.

Please see www.portforward.com for more information about how to map a port.

Please make absolutely sure that PeerGuardian2 or Protowall is allowing utorrent.com (208.99.198.134) in either of those programs.
    Those of you using ipfilter.dat should make sure the list does not include the website's IP. After making sure of this, re-run this
    test by refreshing the page (F5)
    -------------------------

My Sygate firewall allows both incoming and outgoing access for utorrent. I have tried using a single port, but my Linksys router won't allow it, I have to enter in a range. I have tried enabling and not enabling a port range. I've followed the faq's from www.portworward.com more than once.

The light at the bottom of the screen is still yellow! What else can I do? Do I need to try a different program? My pc's ip from the router is 192.168.1.101.