1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

uTorrent still not green after forwarding port

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by ryberg31, Jun 20, 2006.

1. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

I also have a Linksys router, and using a single port works great. Kust enter it in both the beginning and ending boxes, as easy as that. Are you setting up your static IP through your network connection? Are you actually going the the TCP/IR protocol and entering all the info that you get when you find out your internet info from DOS?

2. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Member

I have one of the older routers, you might have one of the newer ones which I think you can specify a port. Here is a link to my kind which has screen shots. http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/BEFW11S4/Utorrent.htm
    I have been entering the beginning and ending ports on the forwarding screen. But after I apply and then open utorrent back up, I still have the yellow box. Should I try upnp settings?

To answer your other questions:
    Are you setting up your static IP through your network connection? [bold]Yes[/bold]
    Are you actually going the the TCP/IR protocol and entering all the info that you get when you find out your internet info from DOS? [bold]Yes. I am entering the ip address of 192.168.1.101, 255.255.255.0, 192.168.1.1, and then a dns that I get from the status page of the router which starts with like 68.x or something. I am only provided 1 dns server. I am not entering the ip [/bold]

It seems so simple.

3. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

No, dont mess with those, port mapping wont affect anything. Let Utorrent sit for a bit, smetimes I get a yellow light when I first start it, but at max it will turn green in 5 minutes. Yeah, i havw a new version Linsys. Seems like you are doing everyting right, except you confused me by that last sentence.
    First you said you entered the ip, and at the end you said you didnt. Also, you are not screwing around in the router are you?

4. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Member

Sorry, the end of that sentence should read "I'm not entering the ip address of the router in my tcp/ip settings on my pc". Someone came up to me at work and had a question and I thought I typed that already

No I'm not changing any ip address in the router. I have the option to set a static ip in the router, but I haven't tried doing that just in case I lose power for a while I might not have internet access and don't think to change it. Do you think I should write down the ip settings currently on the status page and enter those in as a static ip address on the router? Right now I have dhcp as the option but the ip only changes when the router is powered down, which isn't much at all per year.

I tried all the setting before I got ready for work and 30 minutes later it was still yellow.

5. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

I wouldnt fool around with anything in your router, i did that a while ago and it took me a day to get my interent back, its def not worth it. I am honestly stumped. I do not know what else I can offer in terms of advice, maybe just playing around with the ports. Sorry I couldnt be of more help to you:(

I know an indcredibly knowledgable aD member, i will PM him this thread and see what he says.

6. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Member

I appreciate all your help. I might not get to play around with it tonight or Saturday, but will have time Sunday afternoon to play with it for sure.

7. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

No prob at all. Ill PM you or post when i learn something else. Good luck:D

8. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Member

Even tho I still have a yellow light, I was getting speeds in the 100's even as high as 200+ for a little bit last night.

I noticed the files that I downloaded at the higer seeds were mostly seeded from demonoid. Now if I can just get an invite to that site things would be better.

9. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

They are open for signups, at least they have been forthe past week. Check it out pronto.

10. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Member

I've been checking. It's closed now. I've tried quite a few times in the past day.

11. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

Check your PMs in a couple minutes, have a present for you:)

12. Tinacious

Tinacious Member

gasp, i want a a present too, it might proove helpful to me.

but one question. i have a green light, but my port doesnt seem to be opened, is that okay? i mean the downloading rate is horrendously slow, around 3-9 kB/s while the uploading rate is around 15-26 kB/s.

so is that good? would the downloading rate speed up later when the uploading is done?

13. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

Well of your light is green, thats means your ports are forwarded properly. What type of connection do you have? Also, it depends on the health of the torrent i.e. how many seeders/leechers there are.

14. Tinacious

Tinacious Member

sweetness. i have 3/3 seeds and 16/93 peers, oh and i have the new cheap dsl connection.

but crap, now its a red light. siigh, this is killing me. but it looks like the uploading and downloading rate didnt change much from when it was green light to red light.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  15. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

That why, there are pretty much no seeds. With 3 seeds and my 2MB connection, I might hit 35 KBps. Look for torrents that have lots of seeders, I mean like atleast 30, and you will see a dramatic increase in speed. Also run the speed test that Utorrent has, its a good way to know what #s to input under preferences, because if you dont put in the correct upload #s there is no way in hell you will ever dl as well as you should.

16. Tinacious

Tinacious Member

oh okay, thank you. the light turned from green to yellow to red now, but the downloading speed seems to be the same anyway.

17. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

I recommend making a static IP, then forwading your ports through your router. After doing this, the light should always be green.

http://portforward.com/default.htm

That the best guide for making a static IP as well as forwarding ports. Start by clicking Forwarding, the process is pretty easy.

18. Tinacious

Tinacious Member

wow, this is probably the most frustrating experience ive gone through since i got my computer. i think i should quote the Topic Creator. haha.

im using port 22500, what should my range be? should it be TCP or UDP? should 22500 be my base port? and when i click enable, which Ip should i use or should i just pick a name from the drop down list. OH, i use Westell 6100 router btw.

and how do you know if your Static Ip address works?

sorry for so many noobie questions...

19. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

If your are using Utorrent, just put that port in the beginning and ending box, you only need 1 port. Pick both TCP and UDP option as well. Use the IP that is given to uou when you typed "ipconfig/all" in dos, that is your static IP as long as you set it up correctly. The only way I know to tell if your IP is truly static is 2 estart your comp, as the DHCP will asign you a new IP when it restarts. If it doesnt change, you successfully made a static ip. And also remember, having the static ip is the most important thing in the process, because like i said, your ip will constantly change if its not static, and your forwarded ports will mean nothing.

20. Tinacious

Tinacious Member

woot. it seems to work now, thank you very much.