1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

uTorrent still not green after forwarding port

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by ryberg31, Jun 20, 2006.

1. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Member

I'm still getting a yellow light. :(

Even tho the advice has been helpful, I'm pretty much giving up.

stang if your person has any ideas let me know.

2. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

@Tinacious - Congrats:)

@mx6bfast - oops!! sorry man, didnt even lnk the thread to him, im sorry, ill do it right now:)

3. TomMelee

TomMelee Regular member

Lol SVT pm'd me and ask me to lend a hand on this thread, but I'm too wiped out to read all three pages, lol.

1 person @ a time, answer the following questions.

1. What port do you want to use?
    2. What is your local IP. NOT your "static" IP (you guys toss these words around far too loosely, read the link in my sig for more info on that). It should begin 192.x. If you can't figure out how to get this number, respond "I don't know how to get this number."
    3. Do you HAVE a router? If so, brand/model.
    4. WHO is your ISP?
    5. Do you have ANY software firewall in place? Windows firewall INCLUDED. If so, which one?
    6. Are there any other computers on your network? If so, how many?

Answer those, and I'll fix you up. Don't add extra jibber-jabber, cuz Mr. T pities the fool who jibber jabbers.

4. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Member

1. Any port would do
    2. 192.168.1.101
    3. Linksys BEFW11S4
    4. Roadrunner
    5. Windows firewall disabled. Sygate with "allow" chosen for uTorrent
    6. 2 others currently.

5. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

LMFAO, just thought I should add that:p

6. TomMelee

TomMelee Regular member

OK, we have a winner. FIRST I shall tell you a "quick and dirty" fix. Secondly, I will tell you the better way to do it.
    Ok, Quick and Dirty.
    Find the setting w/i your router called "enable UPnP" with a checkbox. Check it.

In your client, find the checkbox that says "use UPnP" or something very similar. Click it.

Save/save.

Restart your client and download a torrent. It SHOULD work just find. UPnP is a halfhearted attempt by MS to make it so you don't HAVE to portforward. It works great until it doesn't, at which point you have to clear your binding and try again...which isn't hard, but is beyond the scope of this tutorial.

BETTER FIX.
    1. Any port would do
    2. 192.168.1.101
    3. Linksys BEFW11S4
    4. Roadrunner
    5. Windows firewall disabled. Sygate with "allow" chosen for uTorrent
    6. 2 others currently.

1. Ok, I'm picking a port for you. 16889 it is. For this computer, which I shall call "Sally", you will ALWAYS use 16889 for torrents. Other computers on your same network must NEVER use this port. Period.

2. Great. I'm not going to have you set up a static local IP as SVT suggested, let's get you a green light first. Please understand that RIGHT NOW your local IP ends .101. Should you turn OFF your system and then turn OFF the other 2, then turn one of them on BEFORE yours, that local IP will CHANGE, assuming it's assigned by DHCP in your router. It's very easy to modify the port forwarding table in your router though, so we'll leave this where it is.

3. I'm going to assume you've already done everything here: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/BEFW11S4/Azureus.htm
    or
    HERE if you're using uTorrent:
    http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/BEFW11S4/Utorrent.htm

4. Roadrunner sniffs the packets of your headers. To fix this, you must find the setting in your client (currently only supported by azureus and utorrent) to "enable header encryption", and make sure the boxes are checked so that you can download from people who DON'T have their headers encrypted. Turning this on means only people w/ encryption enabled can UPLOAD from you. Initially this will SLOW YOUR CONNECTION @ the torrent, but after it gets rolling there should be no difference, and if your ISP is throttling based on headers, your speeds will be MUCH HIGHER.

5. Honestly, disable sygate all together while you test. Eliminating variables is the way to find the source of the problem.

6. Other computers on the same network wishing to use ANY filesharing program MUST not use the same port, and MUST set up their own forwarding rule using ANOTHER port. If your lights are green, and you restart and they're yellow, it means your local IP changed. Find it (I use the status tab in my linksys router and click "local dhcp clients table" because my computer has a unique name, but you just go start/run and type "ipconfig" or browse to your internet connection the control panel and get it there. If it's different than before (say it switches to .102), simply change the forwarding rule to point toward that new IP, do NOT change the port.

Other things....
    DO NOT let your client "Randomize port", otherwise your forwarding is useless. Do NOT choose more than about 5 ports to forward. Realistically, you need 1.

Now, log into a private tracker, or a public one I guess (better, use this one: http://mirror.cs.umn.edu/ubuntu-releases/6.06/ubuntu-6.06-desktop-i386.iso.torrent you'll get MAX speed cuz it's a linux distro, you don't need to let it finish, but it WILL cap your speed.)

If you choose to use a different torrent, find one w/ the most possible seeders and the fewest possible leechers. Report back.

7. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Member

Hi Tom,
    I started going thru all of the settings and skipped to where you advised to turn off Sygate. 2 minutes afer I did that I got a green light. It went green/yellow back and forth a few times but now it is constantly green.

The only thing I was unable to check was "you must find the setting in your client to "enable header encryption", and make sure the boxes are checked" I have uTorrent and the only thing close to it I can find is under the network tab Protocol Encryption. I have Outgoing Enabled. (Other choices Disabled, Forced) and checked Allow incoming legacy connections. Is that what you were talking about?

I am currently dl'ing that torrent and I just saw the top speed hit 534kB. Damn.

Just as an fyi, I shut off all my computers on the network, waited about 10 minutes, rebooted them in order that they would get different ip's, but they all kept the same ip. I have Sygate on my computer for work purposes. To VPN in I have to have it loaded on my pc. I guess I'll just turn it back on when I ned to login.

I tested the port and it came back OK. Thanks again for your help.

8. TomMelee

TomMelee Regular member

Good. Sounds like your IP's might not be assigned by DHCP, and/or they're holding their leases like they're supposed to, which is a good thing.

And yes, that's the encryption setting I was talking about. You can always check out the utorrent site for more infoz on that if you'd like, and yes, outgoing w/ legacy is the correct setting.

And yea, I don't personally use a software firewall simply because I was consistently turning it OFF or modifying it, lol, but yes, it's very simple to turn back on, just don't forget to!

Glad you got it sorted out. +1 for Tom, eh?

Next?...hehe.

9. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

@TomMelee

Thats why you are the man!! Knew you could straighten it out:)

10. TomMelee

TomMelee Regular member

Lol. /flex. Thanks tho. ;-)

11. Ronsard

Ronsard Member

I'm having problems with Utorrent too. I'm getting a red light in Utorrent itself, and I'm also getting a red light on the port forwarding web site.

1. What port do you want to use? [bold]Don't care[/bold]

2. What is your local IP. NOT your "static" IP (you guys toss these words around far too loosely, read the link in my sig for more info on that). It should begin 192.x. If you can't figure out how to get this number, respond "I don't know how to get this number."

[bold] This is from ipconfig /all.
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-01-6C-AF-70-0F
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.110
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, July 02, 2006 11:33:15 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, July 09, 2006 11:33:15 PM

My computer is using DHCP, but I set up the router to assign the same IP address to the computer.

If this still doesn't have the info you need, please let me know.

[/bold]

3. Do you HAVE a router? If so, brand/model. [bold]DI-524 (Dlink) [/bold]

4. Who is your ISP? [bold]Comcast[/bold]

5. Do you have ANY software firewall in place? Windows firewall INCLUDED. If so, which one? [bold] Pc-cillin Internet Security 2006 [/bold]

6. Are there any other computers on your network? If so, how many? [bold] 2 [/bold]

12. gigabz666

gigabz666 Member

Hey there. Thanks Tom, I'm really glad something about the whole static ip/dynamic ip has been posted up, I never understood the hassle of setting up a static ip. The thing is I still seem to have trouble with port forwarding. You see, I'm going through a modem and a wireless router, and I am able to forward ports through both. But I'm still finding the ports are blocked according to utorrent. Just wondering if there are other problems. I'm facing due to in essence a second router.

EDIT: Actually I've just solved the problem myself and now have the port open succesfully. The trouble I had was the local ip I was defining when forwarding the port in the modem was wrong. Just changed that to the correct one and it all works fine.

I remember reading about people saying how much of a struggle it is to forward ports through effectively two routers, but really once you work it out, it's not as complicated as some of the solutions that I have read about which often made no difference or worse, stop my connection from working all together and having to reset the routers!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  13. LChrome

LChrome Member

I'm having some issues where the light stays red. I've followed the instructions from the Port Forwarding site.

1. Port: 34679
    2. 192.168.0.100
    3. D-Link DI-524
    4. Embarq DSL (Formerly Sprint)
    5. Windows Firewall
    6. 2 Others

Last edited: Jul 13, 2006
  14. TomMelee

TomMelee Regular member

<<Edit, you guys have the same router, so same instructions completely)

Hey, good use of formatting folks!
    Ronsard and LChrome:
    1. You will use 16881 (or any other port, substitute that number for 16881 where it appears in this text)
    2. Your IP is 192.168.0.110 (new one to me!)
    3. Start here:
    http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/DI-524/Azureus.htm

or here if using uTorrent:
    http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/DI-524/Utorrent.htm

but do NOT set up a static IP. Instead, use the IP address you found in step 2 here. RECHECK THIS STEP, as it MIGHT have changed.

The "azureus port" will be 16881. (same for uTorrent)

4. In azureus, go to options/connection/encryption and check all 3 boxes there. First one enables it, second two give you recursive rules for downloading. I don't use uTorrent, so I'm not sure where the encryption tab is...find it if using uTorrent!

5. Create a rule in PC-Cillin for Azureus (however you do that), or temporarily disable it while you get everything set up. (Disabling during setup is advised, then set your rule after you get green lights in azureus b/c you KNOW you have your port forwarding done right.

6. Having another comp on your network COULD mean that your local IP address might change...which is why I wanted you to recheck it before you set up the forwarding rule here.

If you're SURE you've got your forwarding set up correctly, completely disable your firewall and see if you get green lights. No firewall + red lights = forwarding problem. Also, it's possible that the stupid windows firewall is on too...make sure it's NOT.

Report back and lemme know what you find.

15. LChrome

LChrome Member

Well, so far, I'm getting a red light still. (NAT Error in Azureus which I downloaded to double-check). I'm going to hook up the modem directly to my computer to see if it's a router issue. I'll report back in a few.

16. LChrome

LChrome Member

Yeah, I've got the modem connected directly to the PC, firewall disabled, and I'm still in the same boat =( .

17. LChrome

LChrome Member

Okay, I resolved the issue. I had to go into the modem's SUA/NAT settings and set the ports open to the IP that the modem gave to the router.

18. toshea

toshea Member

Hi, I'm having trouble forwarding ports on my PC to fully enable uTorrent. It's working but I'm getting downloads in the 20kb/s range, with some spikes both higher and lower.

1. 32459
    2. 192.168.2.101
    3. Linksys WRT54Gv5 (4 port router with wireless)
    4. Verizon DSL
    5. Windows XP and McAfee
    6. 1 other laptop connecting wirelessly and using a VPN to allow me to log into my remote corporate network.

SETTING UP A STATIC IP
    Start-Control Panel-Network Connections
    I have three connections all of which are listed as "connected":

* Local Area Network: Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Ethernet Controller
    * 1394 Connection: 1394 Net Adapter
    * 1392 Connection 2: 1394 Net Adapter 2

I selected "Local Area Network" and selected "Use the Following IP Address"
    IP Address: 192.168.2.101
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1
    DNS Server: 192.168.1.1

SETTING UP PORT FORWARDING IN UTORRENT

Options-Preferences-Connection
    Change port to 32459
    Uncheck box "Enable UPnP Port Mapping"

SETTING UP PORT FORWARDING ON LINKSYS ROUTER

go to 192.168.2.1, enter user name and password. Go to "Applications and Gaming" tab.

Utor1 Start: 32459 End: 32459 Protocol: Both (TCP and UDP) IP Address: 192.168.2.101 Enable Box: Checked

FIREWALL ISSUES:

Windows Firewall
    Start-Control Panel-Windows Firewall then click "Exceptions Tab"
    uTorrent is listed as an exception and I have also clicked "Add Port" then used the Name: utorrent and Port: 32459 as exceptions for both UDP and TCP.

McAfee Firewall

uTorrent is listed under the "Allow Full Access" on the Internet Applications list.

I also manually entered the port configuration and opened up incoming and outgoing TCP/IP and UDP ports with the 32459 port and used the description utorrent.

So when I run the speed test, I get a response similar to others on this thread saying that port 32459 does not appear to be open. I'm currently getting download speeds of around 20kb/sec although that will sometimes go much faster or slower. I'd really appreciate any help I can get to configure the system.

The one thing I'm kind of confused about now is the "1394 connections". I believe that's VPN, although I'm not sure if I have to set those to static IP as well.

I am seeing red and or yellow on uTorrent. I've disabled both Windows Firewall and McAfee firewall and have seen no improvement. My current torrent download has 30(779) seeds and 46(1646) peers, and I'm getting around 20kB/sec downloads and 45kB/sc uploads.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2006
  19. toshea

toshea Member

I forgot to add that I'm seeing either yellow or red in my uTorrent status at the bottom of the screen.

I'd really appreciate any tips/suggestions. I've been running with this for almost a day now scouring the web for info but I've run out of ideas!

20. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

nevermind

Last edited: Aug 4, 2006