1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vcd On ps2

Discussion in 'PS2' started by kyle.R, Jul 29, 2005.

1. keebles

keebles Regular member

Could you list all the files that you got with the cog swap(including the .elf,... and the name of the folder it is in. that way I can tell you what .elf file to boot.

2. kyle.R

kyle.R Regular member

keebles i have got the cogswap from expliotstation and i made an expliot and installed on the memcard for my thick ps2 and it comes up but i put my backup in and it spins for half a minute and then stops i burnt the backup on a dvd rw

i also got another program called zoneloader and it runs off of the pendrive but it does excactly the same thing so i think i could be burning it wrong

can cogswap load backup ps1 games as well ?????

thanks kyle

3. keebles

keebles Regular member

There could be couple of things wrong in what you are doing. The first thing I see is how are you loading the Cog Swap(what type of disc, if it is a PSX game, you have to take it out and put in an official PS2 disc(the PSX is only used to boot the eploit, and can't be used to boot the PS2 backup, just the exploit). Just press the eject button and swap with the official PS2 disc. Once it is done loading, do the swap trick to swap out the official disc(can be any officail PS2 disc) with your copy. Then Press start or [X] to boot.

If you get the cog swap files, take the boot.elf in the files folder and rename it to what ever you want(I named it cog.elf so I know what it is when I want to boot it since I have other files on the usb stick).

Another is that you said you are using a DVDRW, I my self have had no luck booting DVDRW's at all. All I have been able to get booting is CDR and DVDR(I use (+) and (-) DVDRs and had good results with both). Also what program are you useing to burn the discs. I use Nero to make a direct copy of the disc and then I boot up my PS2 and do the swap trick to boot it. Another way to make a copy is to use ISO Buster. When you open ISO Buster, Just select the drive that has the disc in it and then right click on the drive and select extract as .tao .iso. Then rename it to what ever you want with the ending of .iso and then burn it using what ever you use to burn .iso files. Nero can burn them also, but if you do direct copy, you don't have to use ISO Buster.

You also said in a one of your posts from before that you'r AR seems to take a while to load. If it takes about 1 to 2 minutes possibly 3, it's working like it is suppose to. If it is takeing longer such as 4 to 5 minutes, you might need to make sure the disc is clean and that the PS2 lens is clean. To make sure the lens is clean, only use a lens cleaner disc(disc's with little brushes on the bottom)that says " For use on Playstation 2". Don't use any other type of disc. The PS2 is just like the Xbox. They both have a special type of cleaning disc for there lens(I know for a fact since I tried a audio cd cleaner on my XBOX and ended up opening it and using a Camera Lens cleaner towel to clean it off. Then I had to buy a Special XBOX dvd lens cleaner disc, and it works like new the drive. It loads Halo 2 with out any problems and it takes less time than before).

4. kyle.R

kyle.R Regular member

i was reading on a nother thread somewhere that version 3.4 doesnt play backup utillities so cogswap or cdloader dont work it just comes up with a blank screen so i am using the exploit on my thick ps2.

and thanks i found what i was doing wrong i wasnt swapping the disk to a normal one like you said I thought that i had to just stick the backup staight in so i have done it the right way and it works i just hope i can find some way to load them on my slim

5. jjax

jjax Guest

On a slimline Ps2 you need to load cdloader.elf off a cdr through ARMAX. Once you've done this, you swap your ARMAX cd for a specially created cogswap boot disc. To make this boot disc, download the independence compiler program (version 4.1) by Ausdigital (search Google) - select the 56KB cogswaploader.elf file as your "launcher" program and then on the last tab in the compiling program select "NO" at the "installer only?" option - this'll make you a set of bin/cue files which you can burn to cdr in the usual way (nero or equivalent - at 4x speed) (by the way - don't worry about adding any other elf files to the disc, you wont need them if you select cogswap as your launcher(the elf file that loads when you put the disc in!))

Just swap your new cogswap boot disc with the ARMAX cd through cdloader and hey presto, you can load backups through your slimline ps2 using the slide tool method!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2005
  6. keebles

keebles Regular member

if you got that working, try makeing a Free HDLoader Memory card hack for your thick PS2. This allows you to put in any hard Drive that fits in the PS2 that is up to 120GB, and load your Games on it. This makes games load alot faster. You can even install backups that you have, all you have to do is swap original disc with what ever copy you have that you want to install. You need to have another memory card unless you are going to format the one you are using now. I would use ethier a Maxtor drive or a seagate drive. They are the only ones that I have that fit the PS2 expansion bay connectors, any other ones wont connect right.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2005
  7. madhive

madhive Guest

On a slimline Ps2 you need to load cdloader.elf off a cdr through ARMAX. Once you've done this, you swap your ARMAX cd for a specially created cogswap boot disc. To make this boot disc, download the independence compiler program (version 4.1) by Ausdigital (search Google) - select the 56KB cogswaploader.elf file as your "launcher" program and then on the last tab in the compiling program select "NO" at the "installer only?" option - this'll make you a set of bin/cue files which you can burn to cdr in the usual way (nero or equivalent - at 4x speed) (by the way - don't worry about adding any other elf files to the disc, you wont need them if you select cogswap as your launcher(the elf file that loads when you put the disc in!))

Just swap your new cogswap boot disc with the ARMAX cd through cdloader and hey presto, you can load backups through your slimline ps2 using the slide tool method!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

ok i will b able to find out alot of hack codes for no mod swap tricks if you can tell me Jaxx on a slimline PSTwo completely not moddedd like new slim of yours

did you try this♦(what u wrote above) swap trick with the slim to work without any mod?????????????????☺☻

8. jjax

jjax Guest

I have tried this method on a friends slimline ps2, completely new, no mod whatsoever. All you need to have for this is: ARMAX - the rest is down to configuration of your 2 cdrs: 1 for ARMAX media player with cdloader.elf on it and the other as your cogswap boot cd (compiled with the Independence Compiler Program).

This method involves 3 cdrs (ARMAX, cdloader.elf on cdr, cogswap boot cd) that you need to use one after the other to get cogswap to load, so it can be time consuming and you'll be about 1 minute to get ARMAX to load to the media player to do this each time, so it's not as convenient as the MC exploit, but it works all the same! The "exploit" runs off cd rather than mc, that's the only difference, you can put a whole load of elfs on that cd and choose a good launcher program like launch.elf to load all of them. If you're only interested in cogswaploader (for your backup loading), then just put cogswap.elf as your launcher, and it'll load when you swap discs with cdloader loaded.

Ofcourse, you'll also need the front off the disc tray which you can easily do by clipping it off at the sides. Your slide tool can be made easily from a credit card or something like that - it's no science and the shape doesn't matter all that much, so long as it can grab the white cog!

NO MODS, all you need is ARMAX, understanding of how to burn those 2 cdrs and patience for ARMAX to load each time before you do your safe disc swap through cogswaploader (loaded off cdr through cdloader)

If you understand that, your backup playing becomes second nature, even on a slimline ps2.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2005
  9. madhive

madhive Guest

ok thanks for da reply ok so if i do that on my slimline NTSC Usa With Action Replay Max It will work if u say yes ..........ure a hero

10. jjax

jjax Guest

With careful attention to detail - yes - not difficult when you've got the knack of it!

11. madhive

madhive Guest

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so can i load the cd with elfs [including USB ADVANCE] and run that [with no mod at all whatsoever]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2005
  12. jjax

jjax Guest

Yes - you can load all the elfs you like off the cd by choosing "installer only? : NO"... and you'll see the menu of elfs when you put the disc in, swapped for an official disc having loaded cdloader.elf (off a separately formatted cd) through ARMAX.