very low sound when i capture video??

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by chrisgrif, Feb 18, 2008.

1. chrisgrif

chrisgrif Member

i have a thompson vmd5 minidv camcorder.my os is vista home premium.my capturing software is roxio (preinstalled with my computer).i can capture video no probs but the sound is very low even when my speakers are turned right up.i can only just hear the audio.i have been into my sound manager and moved the sound level to 100%.what am i missing??

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

What connection are you using to capture the video?
    You should use Firewire, not USB.
    Furthermore, make sure that you capture to DV-AVI.

3. chrisgrif

chrisgrif Member

i only have 2 types of connection on my tv card.s-video(which i'm using or yellow cable(from red,white and yellow).my camcorder has jlip(?????)my computer doesn't.i have audio going from red and white cable into my tvcard blue 3.5mm jack(audio in)and a male 2 male 3.5mm jack going from green audio out on tv card into blue audio in on my 5.1sound card.as far as i know there is no firewire connection on my camcorder,there is also a dv connection on the camcorder.what is dv?i cant find a plug for it to fit on my computer is dv another word for firewire? thanks for helping

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

You have chosen the worst possible way of transfer from a miniDV: from digital to analog and back to digital.
    Indeed DV is Firewire so that is the connection you should use. If you don;t have a cable and a Firewire connection on your PC: you can buy Firewride card plus cable for under $20.

5. chrisgrif

chrisgrif Member

does firewire carry audio signals or is it a video only carrier?

6. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Video and audio

7. chrisgrif

chrisgrif Member

i'll need to buy a firewire cable.i have been looking online at them.omg.how can i tell what speed wire i need?400..800...
    i can see on the camcorder that it has 4 pins.i cant see in my 1394 plug,i dont know if i have 9 or 6 pins.i cant get any info from device manager.is there a way i can check? such a choice of wires

8. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

The 400 should be good enough, but don't get a cheap firewire cable. Some will argue that cheap is okay. I don't buy into that.

What 1394 plug are you talking about? Do you have a firewire port on your computer? If so, unless it is a laptop, you more than likely have a 6 pin port. The port will be rectangular in shape, with the exception that one end of the port is rounded.

9. chrisgrif

chrisgrif Member

my ieee 1394 socket at the rear of my computer.i thought 1394 socket is a firewire socket,so i hoped i could connect my camcorder through it

10. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Yep, 1394 is the same as Firewire.
    On PC's you usually see 6 pins connections, on laptop usually 4 pins connection, on camcorders 4 pin connections.
    So connecting camcorder to PC takes a 4 pin to 6 pin cable, from camcorder to laptop 4 pin to 4 cable. Google on "Firewire cables" and you will find some pictures, so you can compare with your system.
    For example these pictures:
    http://www.pccables.com/cgi-bin/ord...le.comsearc&rcode=&action=Cat&search=FIREWIRE

11. chrisgrif

chrisgrif Member

just ordered a firewire cable from play.com.hope it goes well.i'll let u know how it goes when it comes.thanks for help tho

12. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Good luck, Chris. I hope that it works for you.