VHS to Mini DV - via ilink ?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by AmiNutall, Jan 16, 2009.

1. AmiNutall

AmiNutall Regular member

I have just bought a Sony HC-62 camera which has an ilink connection. i.LINK® Interface : Yes (DV only)
    Does that mean I can hook up from my VHS recorder , and copy from it to my Mini dv ? (to the tape I presume). If my VHS doesnt have a ilink port , does it matter - can I use another type of cable and hook up to the scart interface on the VHS for instance ?
    I have in the past done a 'pass-thru' using a camera that does analog-didgital conversion , but unfortunately this camera doesnt do this.
    http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665294454

Thanks in advance for any help here.

2. AmiNutall

AmiNutall Regular member

Anybody ??

3. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

If your video camera has pass through capabilities, you use the red, white, and yellow cables to copy from the VHS recorder, to the video camera.

Or, quite possibly, your video camera has an S-video input. If that is the case, and your VHS recorder has an S-video output, then you use that instead of the yellow cable. You still need the red and white audio cables, though.

4. AmiNutall

AmiNutall Regular member

Hi Grandpa - thanks for the reply. Im sure my camera doesnt allow thru-put, based on the fact it doesnt allow analogue-digital conversion (but what do I know - he he ).

So the coulored cables plug into the Video ? and is the other end plugging into the i'link ?

Im not at home , so cant currently see what is what !

5. AmiNutall

AmiNutall Regular member

Ok - I tried the cable that came with the camera.
    Put the red/white cable ends directly into my video (as no yellow port), and the other end in my camera. ( shaped like a firewire cable , like a half moon)
    Also tried putting the red/yel/white ends into 2 different scart connectors I have, and then into the video.
    None of the above work.

The only instructions the camera manual give is to plug the cable into an iLink connection on the video recorder. Dont know what that port should be ?