VIDEO SERVER AND CLIENT END BOX

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by xRAzORx, Jul 11, 2004.

1. xRAzORx

xRAzORx Guest

Okay, here's what I want to do.

1. Create an image of the full DVD and store it on a computer in my house. Create a whole library of movies, pictures, and music on this computer which I will call my video server.

2. Have a TV-set top box that communicates via the LAN in my house to access and play these files. It should me easy to use and menu driven right off the TV.

3. <Optional>. The box should be able to peform DVR functions as well, streaming the video to be saved to the video server over the LAN

NOW:

I haven't found a "system" that does this for DVD, MP3, and pictures. Any ideas?

ThanX!

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Yeah tons. How big is the budget?

3. xRAzORx

xRAzORx Guest

We'll I just want to meet the requirements. I don't need anything fancy. Simplicity is the key. The movies, pictures, and music should all be remote control and menu driven from the TV.

The key is what format are the movie files to be in?

Currently I use "Alcohol 120%" to create and load images. It works great. I don't need DiVX or any other MPEG-4 format as I don't like the quality trade off.

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Like I said... are we workin with a $20000 setup or a $4000 setup or what... a ballpark figure would be nice. Just something to work with.

As it see it the only thing i can say is
    (1) get a FTP server or something setup on an archive machine (trivial)

(2) Get a computer with TV out (trivial)

(3) Network them (even more trivial)

5. xRAzORx

xRAzORx Guest

Well yeah, that's easy. But I'm looking for a TiVO-like front end that will read the video server and present the items in a nice looking and easily selectable format. I find it very hard to work a PC through a TV.

I think having a set-top box that accesses a client program on the video server to read items is the key. But so far, I'm not aware of any software to do this.

6. flaboy

flaboy Member

I to have been looking to do the same thing. I have looked at PrismIQ (won't do dolby digital) Pinnicaleshow center (something like that) won't read a DVD from HD in the DVD format ie .VOB the latest is My htpc software nice gui but the video is not fluid on my system. Looking for suggestions.