Vista won't recognise DV Camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by manyon, Apr 18, 2009.

1. manyon

manyon Member

PC is custom built with a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS4P M/B and Vista Home Premium 32 O/S. Camera is a Sony DCR-TRV320 digital 8 camcorder. Device is being attached to PC via firewire. PC not recognising device, Device Manager identifies it as 'Other Devices' which tells me I need an AV/C Subunit driver, cannot locate one on WWW, Sony, Gigabyte or Microsoft. Had no problems transferring data by this method on old PC (which is now fried) with XP Pro O/S. Help!!!

2. ubersquiz

ubersquiz Member

Unless someone can offer better advice all I can say is, Welcome to Vista. Possibly the worst operating system in the world.

Personally the first thing I did when I got my new pc was wipe the hdd of that poor excuse for an operating system and installed XP Pro.
    Voila no more issues.

3. dailun

dailun Active member

Did you check the Sony website?

Sony (somewhat) clearly states that not all of their cameras/camcorders are compatible with Vista.

4. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Moved to digital camcorder forum

5. varnull

varnull Guest

Sometimes even though the operating system refuses to recognise a device on it's own running a capture application will access the data.. even if you need to capture it rather than just transferring the files...

Found that one by experimenting with various apps from ulead and nero.

Also sometimes a 3rd party file manager will do the trick, but whether fista will allow anything like that is a complete mystery. In these situations experimenting with different softwares is your only real course of action.. don't think fista allows raw socket config editing of things like usb ports.