wanna get Camcoder

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by honsbeek, Apr 25, 2008.

1. honsbeek

honsbeek Member

Hi there ,

Thinking of buying my first camcorder ,

What is the hype thesedays , whay should I get , or what should I wait for. I saw something 720p , or 1080p , DV etc...
    Should I go for Memory chip version or DVD version or HDD version ,
    Haven't a clue which is good for me ..

Thank you

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

It all depends. There is still nothing out there that is better, video quality-wise, than the miniDV tape video cameras.

I will wait on a new purchase, until the others get up to snuff on video quality.

3. bkaboom

bkaboom Member

I would have to differ my opinion there, normally flash and hard drive models that record in avchd give you better quality then the high def on miniDV tapes which in most cases is hdv not avchd. I would recommend flash drive camcorders over hdd due to the fact flash drives unlike harddrives(hdd) have no moving parts inside and have less of a chance of failing. Imo they give you better transfer rates over the tape and hdd. I still have to go minidv though because hdv footage is easier to work with and miniDV tapes are smarter to use. If you are out camping or on vacation unless you have a laptop nearby or a bunch of high priced memory cards tape would be better. Its also easier to archive over tapeless models. I work with professionals everyday and know this to be a common opinion. I also am trained in a high number of cameras and camcorders. The reason I mention this is so noone tries to argue my opinion and knows I have some knowledge of cameras lol.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  4. honsbeek

honsbeek Member

How about the new Sony DCR-DVD810

That takes DVD's and records directly on them , any good ?

thanks

5. bkaboom

bkaboom Member

Dvd's are a mixed bag while you can play them directly in your dvd player, editing is a mixed bag as well. The majority of editing suites won't import dvd format files. Also I just don't like them. I have heard alot of complaints about dvd camcorders. If you plan on doing anything like editing or downloading to a pc unless the company provides an editing suite, dont buy it! I find dvd models to be a one trick pony.

6. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You might be trained in a multitude of cameras and camcordes, but you are wrong! :wink:

7. bkaboom

bkaboom Member

Ok I do this for a living but I am wrong. I troubleshoot for pros and studios but I am wrong. Whatever dude don't come in here posting Im wrong unless you have some sort of proof besides a doofus opinion. All you have to do is look at the raw specs of the majority of camcorders and they speak for themselves. As well if you even look at the specs hdv camcorders that say they record in full 1920 usually do not once you download them. This is due to the use of anamorphic pixels.If you are comparing standard def then yes minidv would probably win, but a HDD or flash drive model recording in AVCHD will smash miniDV. These formats while flawed will soon take over. You need to take a trip to dvinfo.net learn something then come back with something other then nonsense. ~_^

to the original poster:I will no longer check this thread I dont want to argue and I know the gentleman I am responding to wont like this post.If you need to contact me, send me a pm.

8. PFloyd

PFloyd Regular member

Cost wise, MiniDV is the way to go. I paid $195 for my JVC-GR-D850 and it takes awesome movies, plus I am 59 years old and it looks great with my tired wornout eyes!!

9. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I don't mind the post, at all. The bolded portion of your quote, is why I will be waiting.

And, I do read and learn from posts, all over the web. And, I don't speak nonsense.