watching different channels in other rooms

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by kippaxman, Aug 8, 2008.

1. kippaxman

kippaxman Guest

Hi,
    I have a eurovox in my lounge which sends signals to the rest of the house via a coax. I recently bought a Starview box which works fine if i swap it with the eurovox but I was hoping to be able to set it up in another room so I can watch different channels than whats on the main Eurovox. The problem is the Starview box won't change channels once i set it up in another room,on another tv. I'm hoping to get a big plasma or LCD to connect it with but wanted to suss this issue out first.
    All opinions welcome.

Thanks

Darren

2. DesB

DesB Regular member

I dont understand when you say the starview wont change channels in the other room, it has to be connected to a direct feed , if it is connected it should work, did you check the batteries on the R/C

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  3. kippaxman

kippaxman Guest

Hi

Thx for the reply,
    I've tested the Starview box in place of my Eurovox & it works perfectly but if i connect it to another tv in the house it wont allow me to switch to Sky sports(eg) while the other tv's are on Disney(eg).The channels on the box change with the R/C commands but it doesnt turn the individual tv what i've got the box connected to over to another channel. Its as if it doesn't see the RF signal through the coax. I'm usually quite good at this stuff but this one has me stumped.

Thanks

Darren

4. DesB

DesB Regular member

you will need to go back to were the mainfeed comes into the house, split it there ,have one coax going to the Lounge,etc, then for the starview location run a seperate coax directly to this, plug it into the box and then join the box to the TV, this has to work!

5. kippaxman

kippaxman Guest

Ok thx, I'll give that a go tomorrow when I get a splitter. Just 1 more question, my cable feed runs right past my signal amp which connects all the tv's in the house. If I split it there could I use the existing coax to the new tv or will that be needed to send signals from the arial for channels 1,2,3 etc.In short do i have to have 2 coax cables for the back of my Starview box,1 for Cable tv & 1 for terrestrial tv?

6. DesB

DesB Regular member

Ok Darren.... a friend of mine had the same problem ....his incoming cable in the attic went straight to the main TV, He cut the cable in the attic,He bought a booster (in his case a 5 way booster)this also acts as your splitter, He rejoined the Main tv cable via the booster ( in one side... out the other) and then ran another 4 cables to various rooms in his gaff, and now they can all watch different channels at the same time.
    you run the coax into the boxes and you will need(a) coax to back of TV,and (B) a scart lead also into the TV,s the coax is for ordinary tv, and the scart is for the cable .

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  7. kippaxman

kippaxman Guest

I set it up how you said but the box says no signal found. i think I'll try & split the cable feed as you mentioned, before its already been decoded by my eurovox.The only thing is I'll have to run 2 coax cables into my tv, 1 for terrestial tv & 1 for cable channels.

Thanks

Darren

8. DesB

DesB Regular member

Darren will you check and see if you have the coax cables in the right connections, and yes you have to split it before it goes to the eurovox, thats why you should run a cable directly to the starview,and you dont need 2 coax running into the TV you need one running into the box a scart leadfrom the box to the TV for cable, and a short coax between the TV and the box for terrestrial TV

9. kippaxman

kippaxman Guest

Well you've nearly got me to the finish line,thx.I've ran a cable feed directly into my box,connected the box to the TV via a scart & connected coax between the 2. Success story so far, the cable box is working fine. Open items, 1 or 2 channels are missing completely from the selection,ive rebooted & factory reset & auto scanned many times but the same channels are missing (but thats another thread)I don't recieve a terrestrial tv signal on the other channels despite setting it up with your instructions, any ideas?

Thx

Darren

10. DesB

DesB Regular member

How ya darren,
    Ok the missing channels, which ones are you missing! whereabouts are you? Eire or UK?, I wouldnt worry about the terrestrial channels missing, as you will pick them up on the starview, You said you have the Eurovox in an other room,if this has the missing channels,take the starview in there and do a rescan, try it and see!

11. kippaxman

kippaxman Guest

Hi,

Managed to get my terrestrial channels on last night after I had posted a reply. I just had to auto tune my TV..DOH!!. I'm in the UK & the channels that are missing are SS1 & SS2. I tried manually tuning them with the same frequency as my Eurovox but it didn't work. I'll try what you suggested tonight, going out this afternoon to pick up my new plasma..Soooooo excited.

Thx

Darren

12. DesB

DesB Regular member

this is like coronation street, its going on forever!LOL
    glad you got sorted , get back if you need more help!
    the bill is in the post LOL

13. kippaxman

kippaxman Guest

Update,

Managed eventually to get the missing channels on although the signal isn't good & they freeze up now & again.Swapped the Starview & Eurovox & the Starview works great but the Eurovox struggles to pick up many channels because of a bad signal. So it seems to me the coax I've used (which was already run under my floors)the old brown type doesn't carry the cable signal as well as the newer type coax cables, do you agree or am I talking S@*te.

Thx

Darren

14. DesB

DesB Regular member

your signal shouldnt be that bad,considering you only have 2 feeds in use! Have you got it split by splitter or did you get a booster as suggested?