What cable do I need to FTP or backup a game? And I may have some other XBOX questions.....

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by JParkes, Aug 11, 2006.

1. JParkes

JParkes Regular member

My XBOX is at the moment in modding and i thought i'd do some research now on how to backup an XBOX game. I understood all of the TUT's except the bits about the cable - What cable do i need? A CAT5 or what?
    Thank you any help is appreciated,
    JParkes

2. theridges

theridges Guest

if your going through a router then a normal ethernet cable,if your connecting directly use a cat 5 patch cable/cross over cable there usually yellow...there at all electronic stores.

3. JParkes

JParkes Regular member

cool i have one of those. i need a custom dash but i dunno which is the best as theres loads like avalaunch, evoX etc. which is the best one?
    How do i install the dashboards? I have a modded xbox and a normal ms dash. Do i need an iso? my xbox is pal so if so i need a pal auto-installer.
    thanks for any help

4. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

The "best dash" is more a matter of opinion than anything else. Personally, I prefer XBMC, but you'd probably be better off using Avalaunch as the default dash because of Quix.

As for the autoinstallers, they'll load in whatever region your Xbox is designated, so you don't have to worry about PAL or NTSC versions of it. Just get AID 3.0, burn it to a DVD-R, and run it in the Xbox. Should be pretty straight forward from there.

5. JParkes

JParkes Regular member

Does it have to be DVD-R to work on the XBOX??

6. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

Yes... You could try DVD+R or DVD rewritable, but your Xbox may not be able to read those.

7. JParkes

JParkes Regular member

I hope that DVD+R's work as my dvd drive only copies DVD+R/W. So if not i'll have to get a dvd-r drive. do u no a link to AID 3.0 that is RAR compressed and isn't a torrent?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  8. theridges

theridges Guest

jparkes
    the best place to find AID 3.0 is torrents it will be hard to find it any other way....and to use DVD+R your going to have to look into bitsetting because technically DVD+R are better if your burner supports bitsetting...

9. JParkes

JParkes Regular member

What's bitsetting? Also do torrents mess up your computer?

10. omar3333

omar3333 Regular member

for your dashboard i reccommend you get slayers evox auto-installer v2.6. it makes the default dash evox and it comes with avalaunch on it too. it installs emulators and XBMC automaticly. get the torrent from isohunt.com or other major torrent sites. then open it up with azureus or bitlord. after downloading it you might need a password to open it up completely. look for it on google, or give me a PM after ur done ;)

11. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

Bitsetting (aka booktyping) is used when you want to burn a disc using methods from another one. What theridges is suggesting is that you use DVD+R and bitset it (or booktype) to DVD-R.

And torrents don't mess up your computer.

12. theridges

theridges Guest

13. JParkes

JParkes Regular member

Yes I think my DVD writer does support that. How do I bitset it to write it like a DVD-R? And also my dvd writer as i've said doesnt support DVD-R so I cant use slayers evox auto-installer v2.6 tool. Is there a tutorial on how to install a custom dashboard with AID 3.0?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  14. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

Thanks theridges.

As for your question JParkes, if you can't burn DVD-R you probably wouldn't be able to booktype it either. The easiest way to booktype would probably be to use ImgBurn and just click on the book icon, then select your brand of burner. Use the drop down menu and select DVD+R, then change the booktype from normal to DVD-R. If it doesn't let you, then chances are that your burner doesn't support it. However, updating the firmware on your burner might add support for it if it doesn't already have it.

15. theridges

theridges Guest

And there is no need for a tutorial on installing a dashboard with AID 3.0 just get it on disc or FTP it to your xbox and run it, from there it is self explainatory....

16. allroy

allroy Member

Hey guys i just bought a Xecuter 3 chip & I have a v1.2xbox.
    ive also downloaded slayers evox from there irc & saved it to a DVD-R
    my ? is. After i install the chip. I here that I have to flash the bios before I download slayer into my xbox is this correct?

if so is which bios should i use for V1.2 xbox Xecuter 3 chip
    thanks for the help guys
    Allroy

17. theridges

theridges Guest

You will use the X3 3294 Bios click my name and go to my links page to download it,extract it and burn with nero or your choice of image burning programs..then follow this guide to flash it correctly...
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/381890

18. allroy

allroy Member

thanks for the link got it

just waiting for X3 chip to arrive now

19. allroy

allroy Member

Well it took some time and scary moments but my X3 chip is off and running.
    for a minute there i tought i was my xbox was gone for good
    but its all good now..

A ? for u "theridges"
    How do i install the new bios to my freshly chip xbox
    thanks
    all

20. theridges

theridges Guest

just click that link in my last post it is a little tutorial on what the Switch Settings should be...in short though burn that image(Bios) that you downloaded...and pop it into your Xbox....make sure the bank switches are
    Bank 1234: on on off off
    (Set to this when flashing
    first time with FlashBIOS)
    ‘But wait’, you might think. ‘My switch has 5 dipswitches, not 4!’. Correct sir! The fifth (lowest) switch
    is for flash protection. If that switch is enabled, you won’t be able to flash to your bios memory.i would turn the flash protection on the chip itself off and use the external switch...