What can I use to pull video from a DV cam?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by rdefino, Dec 11, 2006.

1. rdefino

rdefino Member

I'm looking for a package that I can use to pull my videos from my DV camcorder and convert them to another format. I want something that is easy to use, but not cheap on features,
    Thanks

2. behrad

behrad Regular member

hi and welcome to AD.

I was going to comment on what tools(s) you should be using, but I stopped myself in order to get some clarity first.

Can you please define what this means. For example, are you going to be looking for MPEGII or XViD?

What do you want to do with the final output? Do you want a archive DVD or do you need to host on a server?

Sorry for the 1000 questions BTW :)

3. rdefino

rdefino Member

Thanks for the reply.

I definitely want to do both, archive and host on server. As for MPEGII or XVID. What is the difference?

Thanks
    Ron

4. behrad

behrad Regular member

They are different formats that can be used to encode the material.

Typically MPEG is used in DVD production and DivX and XViD is used for high compression applications such as hosting on a web server.

The best way to learn about them is to do some research on this and other fine web sites. You can peruse the guides section on this site for more information.

Typically, you would use a program to capture the DV content off your camera and into a PC. Then you might use a editing program to do all of the editing that you may require. Finally, you would save this content as a format that would be of interest to you.

If you wanted to use just one program to do all of the above, you may look to programs like Ulead DVD Movie Factory or Movie Studio. Other options are Premiere Elements and Vegas Movie Studio.

Good luck

Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  5. behrad

behrad Regular member