what format to use

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by 451514, Mar 22, 2006.

1. 451514

451514 Member

Hi, Iam using a basic editing program that came with my computer call intervideowindvd creator and it has 2 types of formats that i can transfer from my camera to computer,one is mpeg the other is DV-AVI,What one should i use, keeping in mind Iam going to edit the footage and put it on DVD? Ive already tranfered using DV-AVI and when making movie i cant get much much time on DVD. Any advice

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

You should transfer in DV-AVI if you want to edit. Because DV-AVI files are big (around 13GB per hour) this does not mean that you can not get much on one DVD. When finished editing you have to encode to MPEG-2 anyway to burn it to DVD.
    Check this page to understand: http://www.digitalvideoclub.com/basics/tapetodvd.php

3. 451514

451514 Member

Thanks for you help,another thing I dont understand is why when i have a video stored in my files and its, for example 2.1gb big and another 2gb. Add it to my burn list and it says its to big?But the DVD's that Iam using are 4.7 gb?

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

First of all, if you want to create a Video-DVD, make sure you are using an application that authors a DVD. Just burning an AVI or MPEG to a DVD does not create a Video-DVD, but a data DVD containing movie files.

Secondly, the term Gbyte used to describe the capacity of DVD's is defined as 1.000.000 bytes. This is different from the traditional GB based on the binary system where 1KB is 1024Byte, 1MB is 1024KB and 1GB is 1024MB. Furthermore, some capacity on the DVD will also be lost to overhead.