1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Happened To All The XP MBs?

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Ariel Schnee, Sep 8, 2021.

1. Ariel Schnee

Ariel Schnee Newbie

I have an XP computer. It's wearing a bit thin. I want to transfer my harddrive, video card, and memory sticks over to a new one.

I asked these professional guys who make custom computers to make me one that I could transfer my stuff to, and keep using XP. (For my old games and stuff like that now. I have a Win 7 computer for surfing the net, downloading, and etc..). They told me there was no one who could do it. They said that there were no Win XP compatible motherboards, parts, etc. that could make a computer work with XP. They told me to give up any idea of ever getting an XP computer again. And that I should stick with 7. Despite the fact that many of my old games, and stuff, won't work on anything higher than XP. They also told me to dump 7, and switch to 10. I told them "Hell no!". 10 is garbage. Worst OS ever.

Anyway, my question... Why are there no XP compatible parts anymore? How am I supposed to get a new custom built XP computer?

Here are my XP computer's current specs.

Model: Acer Veriton M265

@@@

Control Panel > System

System Properties

---

General

System:
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional
    Verison 2002
    Service Pack 3

Computer:
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU
    E7600 @ 3.06GHz
    3.06GHz, 3.00 GB of RAM
    Physical Address Extension

---

Advanced > Settings > Performance Options > Advanced

Virtual memory 4606 MB

---

System Restore

Off

---

Automatic Updates

Off

---

@@@

Control Panel > Display

Settings

Advanced

Adapter

Adapter Type

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

---

Properties

Driver

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Driver Provider: NIVIDIA
    Driver Date: 12/27/2010
    Driver Version: 6.14.12.6644
    Driver Signer: Not digitally signed

Driver Details...

NIVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Driver files: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\nv4_mini.sys

Provider: NIVIDIA Corporation

File version: 6.14.12.6644

Copyright: (C) NIVIDIA Corporation. All rights reserved.

Digital Signer: Not digitally signed

---

Adapter Information

Chip Type: GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Memory Size: 1024 MB
    Adapter String: GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    Bios Information: Version 70.24.11.00.60

---

List All Modes...

640 by 480, High Color (16 bit), 75 Hertz

@@@

Control Panel > Windows Firewall

Antivirus: Windows Firewall

---

Firewall: Windows Firewall

@@@

Internet: Crappy less than 1 Mbps AT&T modem

@@@

Control Panel > Game Controllers

Gamepad: Logitech Dual Action F310 Gamepad

@@@

Control Panel > Network Connections

Local Area Connection 2

Properties

General

Connect using:

ASIX AX88772A USB2.0 to Fast Ethernet Adapter

@@@

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

your games will work in windows 7 32bit mode not 64 bit. found that out with a customer. another customer is running some dos programs no problem with windows 7 32bit mode.

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Leave your xp alone with it's hardware & get a new pc with the best of the hardware you can afford. Win 10 is required for later games as they won't work on win 7 ; example: Farcry 4. Other option is get a second hand pc that has the necessary drivers from the manufacturer to run xp. That said all new cpu's are multithreaded. There's no reason xp won't work fine in a virtual pc playing games. XP is pretty light & runs fine in a vpc on a dell t3400 quad core (not multi thread), 8g ram & a g-card gt1030 2gb. xp runs fine in a vpc playing myst. Haven't tried a more demanding game like crysis. However i suspect it will run fine. By the way the win 7 i have has xp mode which is microsoft virtual pc. My win 7 isn't legit, neither is win 10 *mutley laugh* MVPC is a seperate download you install & it pays to install after a new win 7 install before updating. I have it here if you want it, however it's for 64 bit versions of win 7

4. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

I would go hunting for one of the early AMD 64 dual cores (the single cores are twice the price these days.. go figure) with 2 or 3 gigs of ram (might be fun finding that 2100u ram.. seems to be a little scarce these days) and pretty much any 16x agp card 512 of the era.. hopefully you know how to identify the symptoms of bad caps .. and buggy as hell sata 1..

If you are smart you can have the whole lot up and running for under $50. I see people finding these machines all the time in thrift shops for $10.. usually just need a new drive or some more ram

Can you tell I'm talking about something I have sitting in my spare room running when required?.. It's my XP machine.. because PS2 games to the PS2 hard drive.. y'know it makes sense.

aldan likes this.