What is everyone using to convert Mpeg-2.

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by rmbrewer, Feb 3, 2009.

1. rmbrewer

rmbrewer Member

What program is everyone using to burn mpeg-2 to DVD? I have a Sony HD Camcorder and have been trying to use Windows Movie maker to convert it and burn it to DVD. But WMM can not convert mepg2 so they recommend converting to avi so you don't loose quality so the program can convert. I have downloaded and installed 2 programs that want $$$$ before trying them out. One was Prism Video Converter and the other was Xilisoft Video Converter. Both are neat but to get any major function you have to lay out the cash. Just wondering what others are using.

2. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Try DVD Flick.
    I *think*, as long as the file is DVD compliant, it will
    just author it and save you having to do a re-encode.
    If not, it will re-encode it first. Give it a try.
    http://dvdflick.net/

3. varnull

varnull Guest

prism and xillisoft.. wow you would flag this as spam apart from the way the OP actually criticises the hopeless scam apps..

Down to business.. davenext is correct.. dvd disks are mpeg2 format, where there may be a difference with the camcorder files is in the audio department and frame size. (uk dvd format is mpeg2 720x576 with ac3 audio)

Try flick first, but the results may be odd because some camcorders, just like some cheap dvd recorders, record in what is known as "half-d1" (320x576)
    If that looks to be your problem then avidemux will be your saviour.. use the "auto dvd" menu item to make a complaint mpeg2.