What is "piracy"?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by MotorN, Oct 2, 2009.

1. MotorN

MotorN Member

Yesterday I had my discussion, (My first one on here at that!), closed on the claim that it dealt with "piracy". Since I am assuming that this is a privately funded site, I do not take issue with the owners authority to do this, but the claim that I am (was?) "pirating" is dubious and perhaps specious reasoning for a number of reasons; none of which I have any intentions of giving extensive discourse on here due to time constraints. What I would like to say is that the argument itself, generally speaking, suffers from many philosophical problems. For one thing, it is not so clear to me that downloading mere ELECTRONIC DATA from numerous international, private sources that does not actually physically exist can be called "piracy". In short, I think the law is so far behind the curve, so to speak, on the relevant issues that I do not believe I can rightly be labeled a "pirate".
    By the way, I did appreciate 'dailun's' help: I ultimately chose to use Daemon's drive emulator to solve the problem.
    I have no hard feelings or anymosity toward the admins/mods and hope this does not constitute a breach of protocol that will lead to my being barred from the site permanently.
    Sincerely,
    MotorN

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Save your attorney talk for the courtroom.

You are a pirate, even if it isn't clear to you.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

4. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Ahoy, MotorN

If ye be not a pirate, then what form of internet brigand are ye?? Argh!

I can see it now, Afterdawn sued to find actual person's name who posted and readily admitted to the crime of piracy for the RIAA. Knock knock.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

who'se there?

6. aldan

aldan Active member

all flowery words aside,the law,whether behind,ahead,or on the curve,is still the law.a rose by any other name would still be a .......pirate.

7. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

dave's not here

8. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

A clear cut case of piracy. not saying we all dont do it of course we do to a certian degree but when we ask for help we may change the way in which we ask the question, clear and simple.

9. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i think dailun was the one that implied its a pirated torrent so thats why it got closed.if afterdawn promoted piracy they could get in legal trouble and have to shut down thats probably why it was closed.if you want the definition of piracy look it up on wikipedia.i download stuff all the time and as far as im concerned if its on the net and you can download it for free its legal.technically im probably wrong but morally i dont see anything wrong with that.