What is the Best Firewall?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Pop_Smith, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Hey guys, i was just wondering what kind of firewall would you recommend for a friend of mine who wants to DMZ his router, i advised him against it but, he wants to because he did everything he could to get a high-id (followed all the guides, etc) and still doesn't have one, what firewall (free, paid, whatever) would you recommend for his situation?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2005
  2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

If i'm not mistaken, routers COME as DMZ (therefore acting like a firewall, which is why sometimes routers are referred to as hardware firewalls).

Paid: I personally like Agnitum Outpost but you should look into it more personally since you will be the one who uses it :)

Free: I used to reccommend the free ZoneAlarm until I discovered there was a free basic version of Agnitum's Outpost firewall.

http://www.outpost.uk.com

3. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

My friend DMZed his router and eMule has been (and always was) allowed full access in his McAfee Firewall, he still has a low id though

From Gotta Router? LOWID in eMule? Come here!
    true?

Also, he was getting a can't connect to port 6463 (or something close to that) but, i fixed that, like i said, he is still getting a 'LowID' error.

P.S. I just noticed that he is using Shareaza (newest version) does that have anything to do with his lowid error?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2005
  4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

There is a distinction to be made... your friend probably DMZ'd his computer -- not the router. The router itself, by default is the dmz.

True and like my above point, setting your IP (i.e., a computer) into the DMZ will give all access for that computer.

Been awhile since I used the donkey network but if I recall correctly, u need to foward both a TCP and UDP port (do it anyways even if you do the DMZ thing) for it to work, most often people get the TCP port but dont do the UDP one.

No clue

5. xbennyboy

xbennyboy Guest

I use Symantec Desktop Firewall. I managed to block all of the remote shutdown viruses hitting XP nowadays. It's pretty fast for a software firewall. Very useful for preventing other XP viruses as well. But there are frequent alerts, but that comes with every decent software firewall. It also protects any confidential information.