Problem What is the best video converter?

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by boriscat, Oct 13, 2023.

1. boriscat

boriscat Member

I have tried Xcode, Vidconverter, Handbrake, but none of them deal with a blocky avi except to make it bigger resolution. Is there any software that can actually define the video better?

2. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

If it's blocky, there may be dropped frames. You might try TSmuxer. Can you upload one to something like dropbox and provide a link for it here?

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

If you're getting blocking then your bitrate settings are prpbably too low. The quality of the source is also important. I've ripped and transcoded entire series using Handbrake with quality that is almost visually indistinguishable from the original. All my transcodes were done to Mp4 container for universality. handbrake.JPG

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Your converting avi that's your issue right there. To transcode you need a large mother file that as my nemesis above states (aka Sophocles) has a high bitrate then recode from said mother file (if possible trim front & end credits to remove junk you don't need which will help improve the recode quality wise). So find larger files you can re-code or download ones that have already been done

Sophocles likes this.
  5. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

It's always best, in these situations, to have something for us to work with so we can offer the best advice. Asked for a sample file but it doesn't look we're going to get one.

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

No nemesis here, on this we're in near complete agreement.