"What isThe Law" about music rights

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Oopsla, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Oopsla

Oopsla Guest

Can someone clarify for me these music copyright laws?
    As I see it, we buy the "rights" to listen to tunes on whatever media. If we have that media, are we not entitled to listen to it? For example: I go to the flea market and buy a box of 8-track tapes for buck of various bands. I now have a legitimate rights to listen to that music. So if I download an album matching one of my 8-tracks, how is that copyright infringment? I am only [bold]updating[/bold] my media.
    Not to be unscrupulous but if the record industry would come after me (never used Kazaa) could I not take my record collection to court?

2. cooljoe6

cooljoe6 Member

That's why theyre not coming after you. The bottom line is 'What would the judge say?' In a recent case the judge said that he could not rule in favor of the record company because it isn't illegal to have the music but what you do with it AFTERWARDS. He said it's like making a copy of a tv program using your vcr, not illegal but showing it in public is or selling it. Filesharing is free, not selling. There's no doubt it is hurting the record business, execs cannot take as many vacations.

The RI has been getting some people on KAZAA because they log on under the same username every day, maintain the same betwork computer ID which even if your ip address changes you network ID is the same. KAZAA keeps records. the RI looks at them and gets the ones with the biggest downloads, but only if they can get the person's IP provider to release the personal information which is a violation of privacy. If you just take a few precautions there is no way of getting caught, NO WAY!!!