What media do YOU use to backup your games?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by Ticaliano, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Ticaliano

Ticaliano Member

And what media is universally regarded as "the best," if any?

2. Ichijoe

Ichijoe Regular member

In close circles it's generaly aggreed that DVD-R\RW's are the best.

But, it mostly depends on which DVD-ROM Drive you have in your XBOX™ that will be the ultimate Judge of which Media you can use. I myself have a XBOX™ v1.2 with a Philips Drive and I can read everything, save CD-R's, without any problems (i.e. CD-R\RW, DVD±R\RW and DVD+R-DL),.

The things to keep most in mind is to eiter create thorough Quix! or some other Software a XISO Image. As the XBOX™ can only read stuff in this or UDFX, File Format. So normal .ISO FATxx / NTFS Formats WILL NOT WORK IN THE XBOX™!! So you can not just burn a String of Files onto a Media and pray that it works! beacause it won't.

The other thing to keep in mind when burning Media (in this case DVD±R\RW's is to burn them slow! Burn then only at x2 MAX!!

3. Ticaliano

Ticaliano Member

Thanks, Ichijoe :)

There was a deal on a 25 pack of Memorex DVD+R for $9.99 and I jumped on it. I have an original Xbox (1.0) with the Phillips drive. I've noticed a couple of times that I'll get the "There's a problem with your disc or it may be dirty" error message.

I was wondering if this was a result of the "cheap" Memorex media or the burn speed (4x with Nero). I've also read that using Alcohol 120% might be the best solution to burn backups.

Just trying to research, compare notes, get direct feedback, and try to make the best possible choices. :)

4. Ichijoe

Ichijoe Regular member

Useually I find Nero to be enough! Alcohol 120% is good for Copy Protected Games. Alas the XBOX™ Game Disc's ARE NOT COPY PROTECTED!! They are in fact written in a totaly different File Format called UDFX. This File Format like say HFS+ for the Mac. is not readable, nor is it writeable on a Windows PC either.

The only way I know of that works is if you use Quixx! or Craxtion to make what is termed as a XISO. You basicly rip the Disc off in the XBOX™ DVD-ROM while the Contents of this XISO is beeing transferd to the PC. Upon compleation you can then burn this, XISO just like any other ISO you might have burned before.

NOTE: It might be worth a mention but, since theres no known way to copy the Signed Protion of a XBOX™ Game Disc you'll need to have a Moded beit Soft or Chip moded. To actully run this Disc.

Alas Cheap Media is a dubble edge Sword. Sure you save a Buck (or Two!),. But, at what cost! Memorex does not have a good Reb on this Site. A lot of People are b*tching about it here too. Alas no one has ever gave me an answer as to the TRUE MANUFATURE of those Discs! And I Tell you right now it's not Memorex I don't care how many times it was Silkscreend on to the Media!

There's only One way to find this information out. Alas it will not be printed on any Packageing either. =(
    To find this info out you'll need to download a Program called DVD Identifier. This Program will read the Manufacturer (i.e. Plant), from the DVD itself. My hunch is that Memorex are useing Princos' which is just about a Sh*ty a DVD as One can hope to buy!

But, even if it were Taiyo Yudens (i.e. Verbatums), Which are undoubtly the best DVD+R Media! It's almost a good idea to start off with the slowest speed avalible for your Burner. in this case 2x MAX! As this will help to prevent you from makeing Costers...

5. Ticaliano

Ticaliano Member

Well, just to test theories, I compared my 2 backed up copies of "Sid Meir's Pirates": one was created with Qwixx and burned with Nero (latest version) and the other was burned with Alcohol 120%. I don't know why, but the Nero version seems to stutter a little bit when I play it, but the Alcohol 120% burn runs flawlessly. Both were burned at 4x. Which brings me to the next topic....

The slowest I can burn, in either Nero or Alcohol 120%, is 4x. I think this has to do with the Memorex DVD+R media I'm using: slowest I can record to that DVD is 4x. I've looked in both programs' options menus (Nero and Alcohol 120%) for ways to try to force a 2x burn, but I believe with this media, it ain't gunna happen because the slowest I can burn to these Memorex DVDs is 4x

I use both Qwixx and Craxtion to create my Xbox .iso files -- not sure which one is regarded as being "superior" to the other.

Working with an NEC3520A burner. I'll definitely look into getting some Verbatim DVD-R\RW's.

6. Ichijoe

Ichijoe Regular member

I say use which ever Burning Application you like! So long as it can burn 9669-ISO's, you should be fine! As for your Memorex Disc's please try downloading a Copy of DVD Identifier. Its free and very, VERY usefull. It will not stop you from wasting you time or Money on Crapy Media the first time 'round...

But, it will defently clue you into which Media you should avoid in the furture. Look for it Here: http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

As far a the debate on Quixx or Craxtion goes...

Again it's up to you to judge which one fits your needs better. I do know that Craxtion had problems in the past, before Team Avalauch released Quixx!. According to some of the threads on the Fourm it would apprear that those Problems got fixed. So I guess the best way to answer this question, is to ask which Dashboard are you currently useing? Since Quixx! was written by Team Avalauch we can go on the premess that Quixx! should work very well here. If you are useing something like UIX or XBMC as your Dash. There's nothing I know of that would still prevent you from useing Quixx! successfully. But, under those circumstances perhaps Craxtion, might be a better choise...

Last edited: Sep 28, 2005
  7. TigraoZT

TigraoZT Guest

i had use all the medias possible... but always heard peaple saing that Ridata was the best, even this one guy said something about a Gamecube backup, that he couldnt make any game work when he finally got some Ridata media and just when he opened the box, he could smell the magic of the DVDs...after that i decided to give it i try, i did find a really cheap for what everyone was saing, actully a got 100 DVD+ for $29 on NewEgg.com. When i opened i got the same sensation of a magic smell, and get say it is the BEST for any console, after that i'm sure that i'll be a costumer for a long time.

8. Ticaliano

Ticaliano Member

Here's the info on the current Memorex DVD+R I'm using, direct from the DVD Identifier clipboard:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:CMC MAG-M01-000]
    Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [Not Available]
    Manufacturer Name : [CMC Magnetics Corp.]
    Manufacturer ID : [CMC MAG]
    Media Type ID : [M01]
    Product Revision : [Not Specified]
    Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)]
    Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x , 6x-16x]

[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

It seems I was wrong in my original assumption -- it looks like the media I'm using is in fact capable of burning at speeds slower than 4x (1x-2.4x) My question now is why can't I seem to burn at any speed lower than 4x? I've looked through all of the "options" tabs in both of my burning applications, and the slowest speed that it will allow me to burn at is 4x, despite the fact that the media can burn slower. Wouldn't it be safe to assume my DVD burner is capable of utilizing ALL OF THE SLOWER SPEEDS leading up to it's maximum burning speed?

I find it hard to believe that I can't natively burn at 2x on this NEC burner, especially knowing now that my media is capable of slower burn speeds. I would certainly feel more comfortable burning at 2x (or even 1x) instead of an "uneasy feeling in the belly" inducing 4x burn. :(

9. Ticaliano

Ticaliano Member

10. Ichijoe

Ichijoe Regular member

11. Ichijoe

Ichijoe Regular member

BTW Thanks for answering my question about the Manufacturer of those Memorex DVD's...

12. nino69

nino69 Member

DVD + R i was told it wasnt possible but i havent experienced any problems after burning +6 games so far

Make sure to burn it at a low speed ~+/- 4x
    Luck 2 u!!