What to buy after Premiere Elements?

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by leewprice, Jun 4, 2008.

1. leewprice

leewprice Member

Hello there

First time user. I've recently stopped shooting my shorts on 16mm film and have moved over to digital (mini DV). I couldn't believe the power of digital editing/shooting. I use Premiere Elements on my home PC. I got so excited when I realised that Premiere Elements could do blue screen that I embarked on my first special effects film. I thought: what's the simplest monster I can create and manipulate with blue screen? The short is called Doodlebug and you can see it here:

http://www.virginmediashorts.com/film/1543551325

The process took ten months; I'm very proud what we managed to achieve, at home(!) on such a low budget (fifty pounds).

My quick question is: I'd like to take my special effects film making at home to the next level. Premiere Elements isn't really a compositing/animation programme; it's an editing package with a little blue screen application embedded in there.

So, which reasonably priced PC based software would you recommend, please, specifically for creating special effect shorts (animation and blue screen)?

Thanks for this

Lee[/quote]

2. PFloyd

PFloyd Regular member

That is one awesome film!!!!!!!!!

3. leewprice

leewprice Member

Cheers mate!

Leepy

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

That really was fantastic!

5. leahzero

leahzero Member

[/quote]

Adobe After Effects, without question. It is precisely what you described: a compositing and effects app, par excellence. You can buy the standalone CS3 version for about $300 USD. Since you've already been using Premiere, you should pick up the interface fairly quickly and can import/export projects from one app to the other, etc. AE comes with some great plugins too, including a lot of good keying plugins.

BTW, cute film. Enjoyed every minute. Some really creative ideas in there. Love the twist around 6:00 and the new direction it takes. Also liked the brief home tour in the ending credits. The compositing is rough (in particular, shadows, lighting, and color correction need work), but for a budget first attempt it's wildly entertaining. The soundtrack is excellent too, and syncs up seamlessly with the action. Did you edit to match it, or have it scored to your action?

Would love to see more of your work.

6. leewprice

leewprice Member

Hi Leahzero

Thank for the After Effects heads up - I think that's the way I'm going to go. I've found some tutorials on-line which show the software in action and, again, I'm blown away by what's possible - at home!

Thanks for your kind comments on Doodlebug. The music was scored at the end of the process; I write radio commercials in my day job, and I asked one of the jingle producers (Johhny Griggs) if he'd score the short. I think he did an incredible job and really gives a heart to the film (together with Kieran's performance, which helps sell the extraordinary stuff!)

If you'd like to see more of my work I've also posted my films on Youtube and Virgin Media Shorts. Here's my channel URL at Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/leewprice

Try searching for:
    Camping (in three parts); Game Over; The Leaves Are Dancing, and Brother Father.

Please let me know what you think.

Lata

Leepy

7. leewprice

leewprice Member

Hello GrandpaBW

Thanks for watching Doodlebug - I'm glad you enjoyed it, buddy!

Cheers

Leepy