1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what to upgrade to gain compressing speed

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by Violater, Oct 14, 2001.

1. Violater

Violater Guest

i was wondering what is slowing the compressing time down the most
    i have a

P4 1800mhz
    512mb SDram
    40gb 5400rpm ata100 drive

would a 7200 drive or a change to RD ram make the most difference.. ?

im normaly compressing with about 16-24fps

thanks =)

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Depends probably what software you use for encoding. But I'm pretty sure that upgrading your HDD wouldn't help you (at least not much) in this, since 24fps encoding still doesn't take that much HDD resources that it would cause the encoding to slow down. And 512MB should be ok -- it actually depends on which Win version you use, can the encoder take advantage of this amount of memory. I would suggest installing a software called CacheMan which is specially designed to allow you to tweak around with caching and memory issues -- Windows tends to use much slower HDD cache instead of RAM even that computer has free memory left.

3. Violater

Violater Guest

yes i know the prog chacheman pretty nice proggy =)

im using WinMe mostly bcoz the system came preinstalled with it im gonna install win2k or WinXp when winME begins to crash to much

4. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

As far as I recall, Win9x or ME can't use anything above 256MB without tweaking. So, I guess upgrading your OS should help at least slightly. (I can be wrong, OS issues are not my area of interest really)

5. hanzu

hanzu Member

It's 512MB for for 95/98/me and micro$oft even said that they are not going to support installations with more than that ammount of ram.