Whats a good pop up stoper program?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by beto1, Jan 15, 2004.

1. beto1

beto1 Member

i keep getting about 30 none stop pop ups when i start using the internet. After i close them all out its ok. Im not sure if my computer has some weird virus that norton cant detetct. Anyway, i was wondering if there is some program that could check my system and clear this problem for good.

2. Xian

Xian Regular member

First, I would get Ad Aware and run it.
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com
    Also check out Spybot Search & Destroy.
    http://security.kolla.de
    With that number of popups it sounds like you have some adware or spyware.
    For popup stoppers I had used Popup Blocker from http://www.popupblock.net/ but since I mainly use Mozilla at work and Opera at home I don't need any since both of them have popup blockers built in.

3. beto1

beto1 Member

I have spybot search and destroy and it does help. But when i turn off my computer and turn it back on it happens again. Now keep in mind that i have the free version. Should i pay for the complete version since im some what happy with what the free version of spybot does? I dont mind paying, but i want to make sure the full version is as good as it says it is. Does any body have the full version?

4. Doofy

Doofy Regular member

I use adaware pro to get rid of the spyware etc
    and i find ads gone a really usefull pop up killer can be a bit overzealous though

5. andmerr

andmerr Guest

i know what you mean about the popups they are really
    annoying .Have you tried a program called zeropopup

its free from various sites on the net

6. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

OK OK I Know pop ups pay for sites and shit thru advertising but, I downloaded google toolbar mid december and since then 3 pop ups have got thru. I also run spyboy adaware also BLOCKED 1108 and counting

DaOsT

7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I'll second Xian's advice.

Adaware + Spybot to get rid of spyware you have.

Opera or Mozilla block popups natively (no need for another app). Plus tabbed browsing is sweet!

Since I started using Mozilla I get little to no spyware anymore and not one single unwanted popup. The trouble with many popup blockers is that they either block too much or too little. Mozilla lets everything you need through but nothing else. ActiveX controls won't work with Mozilla either so you don't have to worry about malicious ones.

8. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

i personally really liked Pop-up Stopper when i had it...the free version was all i needed....since then i have gotten ZoneAlarm and the pop up blocker on that is really good....good luck....no worries

9. beto1

beto1 Member

ok hears the deal. Yesterday night i turned on my computer and i got a norton antivirus message that i had a virus called trojan on my computer and that it could not fix it. I thought that it was because my antivirus account needed to be re-newed so i paid 30 bucks to re-new it. When i did another virus scan it did not even detect anything wrong. Did i just get ripped off or do i Really have a virus? would a fresh install of my os fix all these headachs?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2004
  10. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

If you wipe your HD that will definitely get rid of the trojan.

Have you tried downloading a demo for an anti-trojam program like Trojan Hunter to see if that might root out and fix the trojan?

11. Mattrage

Mattrage Regular member

You might also try trojanscan.com. And this may sound like a dumb question, but have you updated the spybot program? You should always do so just before you run it. Same goes for Adaware. Most importantly, use both programs! I personally think the popups are spyware/adware and the problem Norton flagged could have been something else. I hope you are able to fix both.

12. cleft

cleft Member

Get a program called [bold]The Cleaner[/bold] which specifically looks for trojans. Don't fool around as some trojans can do serious damage to your computer equipment. Most virus detectors don't do to good a job at finding and eliminating trojans.

By all means use [bold]spybot[/bold], it is free, does a good job and the advanced tools make it more than just another spyware killer. [bold]Adaware[/bold] isn't so effective unless you have the paid for version. [bold]Adaware[/bold] doesn't kill but the first 100 to 200 that it finds, that is the enticement for you to pay for the program.

Better than [bold]spybot[/bold] is [bold]Pestpatrol[/bold], a program that usually prevents the installation of spyware to begin with making it less necessary to run spyware removers. However, [bold]Pestpatrol[/bold] is not a freeware, it is a pay for program.