whats the best dvd player??

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by ganni666, Feb 9, 2009.

1. ganni666

ganni666 Regular member

hello im trying to buy a dvd player that can read every dvd-r media,
    which one you recomend me
    thanks

2. bryston

bryston Regular member

Hi,

but the only one I know that will do what you wish is a drive on a pc :( Sorry

Jo

3. dailun

dailun Active member

Wow, what a "loaded" question.

IMHO, there isn't one.

However, my experience is to buy a Coby or one of the cheap Chinese players, since they are designed to "run in the dirt" and play under the worst conditions.

4. ganni666

ganni666 Regular member

all i want is some of the dvd players brands which plays dvd-r
    well, without skipping or pixelations problems. some of the good brands dvd players wont read well dvd-r, i have bought a grundig gdp 2750 and does not read dvd-r well, so i have to change it. any good names that plays dvd-r with no problems at all.
    thanks

5. Icanbe

Icanbe Guest

As dailun said, Thats a loaded question.

I've always had good luck with pioneer dvd players, I use dvd-r discs all the time and the pioneer has never had a problem with them.

6. dailun

dailun Active member

Most current models of DVD player state that they will play DVD-R.

The problem is that you won't know HOW WELL until you get it (the DVD player) home.

I have had varying success with different makes of players.

One other thought is that the higher the quality of your DVD-R media, the greater liklihood of it working on your player. That may be another approach to the problem.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  7. MysticE

MysticE Active member

And also provide the worst remotes, functions, adjustments and picture quality.

8. dailun

dailun Active member

No argument with you, MysticE, but TCs primary requirement was "all i want is some of the dvd players brands which plays dvd-r
    well, without skipping or pixelations problems"

to me that places an emphasis on everything that's burnt.

In summary,

"Fast, easy and cheap".

You will never get three out of three.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  9. varnull

varnull Guest

I don't believe that "brandware" fanboy stylee posting for a second..

Picture quality is exactly the same from my "found in a skip" dansai plays everything freebie.. to the £400 panasonic only plays -r and pressed ripoff region locked lump of garbage my mother bought years ago.. who gives a shit about having tis unused function or that unused pointless function on a remote?.. play forward and back.. maybe chapter select and wide/normal and the main disk setup menu is about all you need.. and ALL the cheap ones have at least that basic functionality.. unlike some of the expensive branded ones I could mention which only allow say 2 lots of subtitles.. hahahaha.. read my lips panasonic XD

£19 for a pacific from Asda will play every dvd in wonderful 576i just as they were intended to be seen.. without being fussy about disk brand or region or anything... so there!!

The exact same goes for dvd recorders.. buy the cheap ones.. they will work where the expensive ones will restrict.

10. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Either you don't get out much or you need glasses, but maybe you watch your glorious 576i on a 19 inch set. Try a modern set paired with a progressive output DVD player that relies on more than a $3 chip to do it's video processing. I guess the ability to pickup up the 3:2-pulldown cadence of film sources quickly and effectively without the 'jaggies' so evident on junk asian players isn't important to some. The crushed featureless blacks and numerous mpeg artifacts along with various types of mosquito noise, the soft almost out of focus text on mixed film-and-video content might be fine with you. I prefer to be able to tweak my gamma settings, I like having various preset and user modified profiles at my disposal to match the source to my set. I like well laid out remotes with buttons that you don't need a search light and a magifying glass to use. I like my remotes to work without requiring the aim of an army sharpshooter. But as they say, to each his own or is it ignorance is bliss.

Oh I almost forgot... so there!!

11. panchdara

panchdara Member

MysticE.... nothing constructive? At least Varnull was trying to answer the question and give positive input.