Whats the Best Software to Backup a Harddrive to DVD???

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Abracus, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Abracus

Abracus Member

Whats the Best software util for doing a HD to DVD backup???

2. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Erm... WHAT?!

You can't backup a HD to a DVD, only the stuff you have on the HD....

And if that was what you meant, just use any DVD burning software and burn data CDs.

Edit: I am a stupid, ignorant fusk. Don't believe whatever I say. Sorry for the comments above, I don't know what I'm talking about!
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Everyone is entitled to their own true opinion. Either respect that or don't.[/small]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2004
  3. Abracus

Abracus Member

yea thats what I mean. I just want to do a Data Backup of my hard drive, and Store it on DVD media.

4. Xian

Xian Regular member

I have used Norton Ghost to make images of my hard drive and burn them to cd or dvd. What I try to do is make my boot partition (C:\ drive) fairly small, about 5-10 gigs and store my data and programs on another partition. I create the image with Ghost then burn that. By keeping the boot partition small I can usually get it to fit on a single dvdr with compression turned on in Ghost. Most of the problems I have had has been with Windows so I can restore that single partition and most of the other stuff on the other partition will still work since the registry info, custom DLLs, Start Menu items, etc will be on the partition that I backed up and restored.

5. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Uh....yes you can ... as Xian has noted Norton Ghost will allow you to do this as well as Drive Image and to an extent, Nero

6. Abracus

Abracus Member

What about spaning the backup across more than one DVD?? What program supports that? if any... theres gotta be something...

7. Abracus

Abracus Member

Well I Managed to answer my own question. You can Use Ez CD creator 6. works to write both cdr and dvd-r or +r media, and It will Span the write disk to disk..

Thank you all for your help and input.

Abracus

8. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

I know for a fact Ghost supports multiple DVDs and it would seem logical Ghost's major competitor, DiskImage would also. Not so sure about Nero

9. Xian

Xian Regular member

Praetor is right, both Ghost and Drive Image allow disk spanning to write to multiple CDs/DVDs. I just try to keep my OS and importatant files on a single small partition since it is easier to back up that way instead of spanning and 99% of the problems I run into is with Windows, not the applications.

10. pandymen

pandymen Guest

Just for the record, Nero BackItUp (part of their Nero 6.0 software suite) spans discs nicely. I am actually using it at work right now to span a few files across 9 DVDs.

11. pandymen

pandymen Guest

And, btw, I have used most of the other burning software for this purpose, and I think I may actually like Nero the best. It's very very easy to use for backups; however, if you are picky about the naming scheme, you will fumble around the interface a bit to figure it out.

12. vertigo17

vertigo17 Member

I use Acronis TrueImage 7. I make a backup of my hd on DVD. Any changes I make after, I can back those up as well - instead of having to re-backup everything all over again. The program monitors all changes to my hd. Then, when I need to restore my hd, I can use the DVD image and any other images I made after that to retore.

13. sheiq

sheiq Member

I use DriveImage7 to make backup to another partition on my laptop. Its about 12-15GB. The problem is that DriveImage7 only gives the option to burn it to dvd when im creating the image. Thats not possible for me since i dont have dvd burner in my laptop.
    [bold]Xian says:
    ...store my data and programs on another partition.
    I create the image with Ghost then burn that. [/bold]
    What do u mean? how can u burn the image after it is created to another partition? I have just got Norton Ghost9 and i dont see that option anywhere. And its not in Ghost2003 either. So what do u do?
    What i like to do is creat a set of bootable dvds with my image spaned over 2-3 dvds. Does anybody know how to do that?