Question What's the latest version of Nero DiscSpeed ?

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by L3gi0n, Jul 25, 2023.

1. L3gi0n

L3gi0n Newbie

I have found versions (12.5.6.0), (12.0.3.0) and (7.0.2.100).

What's the latest version of Nero DiscSpeed ? and where can I download it ?

Is the latest version the best version ?

2. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Hi L3giOn- To the best of my knowledge, 12.5.6 was the last issue of Nero DiscSpeed. They made it a free app when Nero 12 came out. You can get it here-
    Free Download Nero DiscSpeed 12.5.6
    https://www.free-codecs.com/download/nero_cd-dvd_speed.htm

A warning. Around that time, Nero decided to use software called OpenCandy for installation of its products. Unfortunately, there's also malware with the same name and programs like Malwarebytes would stop the installation. Of course, you can remove the quarantine from Malwarebytes. They subsequently quit using OpenCandy because of this kind of problem.

I don't remember what the changes were from v7 to v12 for DiscSpeed. It was a one step change from 7 to 12. I sure part of it was to make it Win 7 (Win 8) compatible. Nero has made the webpages that provide what updates did inaccessible.

3. L3gi0n

L3gi0n Newbie

- Is the Opti Drive Control the continuation of Nero Discspeed ? Does it have all the tests that Nero Discspeed has ? Does it have any improvements over discspeed ? Is this software the best currently for this purpose ?

- I have an LG WH16NS40, is this drive good at scanning ? and Disc Quality testing ?

- If I buy a license for a single user, can I install the software on more than one computer ?

- Running the trial version of OptiDrive Control, I notice that the disk quality and FE / TE tabs on the left side appear, does this mean my drive supports these tests ?

- Nero DiscSpeed has a ScanDisc tab where you can do a surface scan and the results are given in the following format:

Green: Readable sectors with no errors.
    Yellow: Damaged sectors that can still be read using the recorder's internal error correction feature.
    Red: Damaged sectors that cannot be corrected and are consequently unreadable.

Does OptiDrive Control have this feature ?

4. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

I don't have any experience with Opti Drive Control so I can't really answer questions about it. It's not part of any Nero suite. The claim is that it was created by the same guy that helped create Nero CD-DVD. I assume your question about using it on more than one computer is aimed at ODC. Note that one might have to run Nero DiscSpeed in compatibility mode if you have Win 8 or later.

I don't know why your BD drive wouldn't be good for the tests you mentioned. I have the BH version of that drive but didn't look up the differences. Never thought about the drive not being good for that stuff. I just use it.

5. virusbody

virusbody Newbie

Hi there, The latest version of Nero DiscSpeed is 12.5.6.0. To download it, head over to Nero's official website (https://www.nero.com/eng/downloads/) and get it from there.

As for whether the latest version is the best, it's not always the case. Sometimes, updates can cause new issues or conflicts with your system. So, before you jump to update, check out the release notes and what others say about it to make sure it won't mess up your setup. If your current version (12.5.6.0, 12.0.3.0, or 7.0.2.100) is working fine and has what you need, you might not need to update right away unless the latest version has something you really want.

6. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

I already identified what the latest version is.

Did you go to the link you provided to see if DiscSpeed is there? I couldn't find it there.

As I mentioned, Nero has made the webpages with release notes inaccessible for most of its products.

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

I'm kinda wondering if she is a spammer so i'll see what happens.

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Newer PCs no longer offer optical drives. When I built my last PC I couldn't find a decent case with 5.25" bays. So as a result and since it was always free, Nero discontinued updating discspeed, and as you've observed 12.5.6.0 is the last and latest version. You're also correct when you say that the application is not available on Nero's main site. The best option for download is on LO4D.com, which has a 100.0/100 rating on scam detector validator. So it's clear that virusbody is just making assumptions and as ddp's observed is probably a spammer. Wait, maybe she's a shill spamming for Nero. :D

https://nero-discspeed.en.lo4d.com/windows

9. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

She clearly isn't a Nero representative.

By the way, this is the case I use for my Desktop- http://www.xoxide.com/apevia-jupiters-silver.html except it's black. Got room for 4 CD/DVD or BD drives. Room for 3 HDDs. Not for everybody because it's so big.

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It was a joke, hence the :D emoji.

I found a few (I usually shop on newegg), but none were to my liking. Size isn't an issue, but the layout, cooling, and hard disk bays are. I mount my 5.25 inch drives in an external bay. So I chose a Lian case with support for 9 x SSDs or 6 HDDs + 3 SSDs. I have over 13 TBs of storage. My point was that manufacturers are phasing optical drives out and software companies like Nero are starting to fade because of it, and reacting by discontinuing optical drive supporting software. Kids of today use their cell phones as their computers.

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Bye!

12. ddp

2nd that, spammer spammed.

13. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Sophocles- I understood what you said was a joke.

I agree that that manufacturers are fazing out optical drives and that some software companies are phasing out support for optical drives. Nero is not doing the latter since it was their bread and butter to start with and still is. How long they continue to stay is business is questionable since it appears that people are just recording video with their phones and storing it for posterity, like us old-timers have done with photographs taken with hand held cameras. I haven't looked into it but it seems like one could simply hook up a phone to a projector or stream to a TV if they want other people to see it. One thing that software vendors similar to Nero have on their side is the ability to edit and enhance video and photos.

What on earth do you use 13 TB of storage for?

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Nero started dying years before optical drives began to fade because there were equally good freeware options that became more popular. Now that optical drives are being phased out what's left for Nero? I think optical drives will continue for a time because there's a niche market for them. External SSDs are the real stake in the heart of optical drives. Kids have no need to download and store anything that they can freely access online.

The short answer is I'm into video capture/creation/cutting/splicing, audio creation, and photoshopping. I write songs, record them on multi-track, and use them as sound tracks to videos I create. A solid state disk can store content for years as long as you don't keep deleting and rewriting to them. I also back them up to MDisc.

15. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Freeware has a disadvantage, unless it doesn't follow international laws, if video and audio formats that require licensing are being used.

I mentioned what I think is the primary use for Nero today. Of course, there are still millions of people out there who still create and burn video to disc. The big problem for Nero and similar software, such as CyberLink, etc. is coming up with new features every year to cause people to buy the latest and greatest. That's a big hurdle and over the years, I've lost a lot of friends at Nero who have been let go as revenue goes down. Of course, Nero dissolved their user forums for the same reason.

Cool about what you do. I guess you'll need a optical drive for sometime if the need for the MDisc occurs.

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Other than "Fair use" laws there are no laws governing freeware burning software that doesn't equally affect commercial burning software. Freeware burning software has long stopped adding decryption since the introduction of AnyDVD (now RedFox), and they've headquartered in a country where there are no laws against selling decrypting software. So there's nothing interfering with their development.

After LightingUK ended DVDdecrypter he developed ImgBurn which included no decryption and was perfectly legal. Some users found the setting options a bit daunting but most including nearly all of AD began using it including me. I haven't found a need for nor used Nero since around 2005/6. Today's Nero users are those with low knowledge of video reencoding and burning. Nero Recode was developed by the same developer who created DVD Shrink after the last DVD Shrink beta test.

So exactly what are the disadvantages of freeware burning soft compared to commercial?

I think optical drives will create a niche market and continue to be available for some time.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2023
  17. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

video like mpeg-4 and BD-MV (AV) and audio, like DTS require licensing to process. I don't know all about the laws but Germany and about another 100 countries abide by some law that requires software from their countries enforce the licensing process. Since Nero is from Germany, if you have a free version, you won't be able to do anything with those formats. Nero lost a law suit to DTS back in 2014/2015 which prevents any Nero software from processing it, starting with v2016 (1st update).

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Licensing only applies to commercial use. Codecs such as H264 and H265 are completely free for personal use anywhere. Nero/Germany have less stricter patent laws than the U.S (Recode was built on the DVDShrink engine). Many of the codecs used to encode are actually open source. Remember MP4 is just a container, and H264 and H265 are codecs. X264 an open source freeware (GNU licensing) H264 variant is compatible with Mp4 and is used by freeware encoding applications. It was developed by a number of people across the globe including Fiona Glaser. Over the years some X264 developers have left and others have joined to replace them. The only legal restrictions, meaning there are none, on freeware burning software is that they don't include decryption, and burning software does not require H264/265 to burn.

DTS is an audio container which isn't used in burning software. Remember the purpose of burning software is to burn what's there, and not to alter it in any way. DTS tends to increase the files size too much to fit on a disc.

Consider Handbrake (not a burning software). It's much better than Nero Recode. It makes use of Mp4 and H264, it converts audio to AAC. Since it contains no decryption it's not breaking any laws and is completely legal to use in Europe and North America as well as dozens of other nations. So no there is no reason for anyone to have to use commercially licensed burning software over freeware variants except preference. handbrake.JPG

Last edited: Jul 30, 2023
  19. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

I understand what you're saying. Just letting you know that if you don't have a paid version of Nero, you won't be able to work with mpeg-4 and other formats in Nero Video and some of the other apps, supposedly because the owners of those formats must be paid to process, encode (whatever the correct term is) them. I'm not an attorney.

Of course, we're way off course with regards to the subject of this thread.

20. ddp

agreed.