When a DVD player says 'no disc'.

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by nqq, Mar 27, 2003.

1. nqq

nqq Member

When a DVD-R will play in one DVD player, but it says 'no disc' in another, does this mean the other player is completely incompatible with DVD-R and trying another brand of DVD-R would not help?

2. joblow

joblow Guest

You should give more informations, like wich dvd-r brand, what burning software etc.. You are not giving enough informations.

3. nqq

nqq Member

I'm just asking in general.

4. joblow

joblow Guest

There's no general answers!!!

5. nqq

nqq Member

I was thinking that if a DVD-R would not play at all in a player(but will play in others) then that meant the player wouldn't play any DVD-R. I thought if the DVD-R skipped or froze, then that was a media problem. Are there different methods/software that will work for one player, but not another? Is there no standard 'correct' way to rip/burn a DVD?

6. joblow

joblow Guest

When some DVD-R play on some standalone player and not on some others it can be 3 things. The burning software and/or the media you are using and/or the dvd player itself. Some burning software offer a better compatibility on a wider range of dvd players. RecordNowMax is the best software to make your backup compatible on most players, and yes some burning software like Nero(not recommended) will work for some DVD players and not for others. Now for the media, some media are so bad that the only thing that they are good at is to make data DVD. There's alot cheap good brand(Ritek,Accu,DVDpro,Verbatim) and other high standard brand (Pioneer) that work well for movies backup. Now for the dvd player, some dvd players are so old they can't just read copied movies, but usually dvd players that are not older than 4 years old can play DVD-R movies. So if your dvd player says "no disc" that doesn't means that it cannot play DVD-R backup.

When the dvd skipped or froze usually it's because of the media. But it can also be the movie that use a compressed sound file(ex:an original sound file at 384 kps compressed at 96 kbs), in this case a dvd player with mp3 decoder is needed or if not the movie will skipped and be jerky.

There's no standard way to rip movies, each persons have their own methods. But here's the way I backup my movies when they are more than 4.7gb(more than 140+ backup).

1-Dvd decrypter or smartripper to demux *.m2v and *.ac3 files.
    2-if m2v file>4.1gb compress movie with CCE
    3-BeSweet and ACMachine to compress sounds files if need it.
    4-Authoring with DVD Maestro
    5-Burn with RecordNowMax

7. nqq

nqq Member

What does RecordNowMax do differently that makes a more compatible DVD-R? What does Nero do differently that makes it less compatible?

8. joblow

joblow Guest

I dont know, I just found that because I made some tests(I'm not the only one).

9. procode

procode Guest

One of my sons has a Philips 730, depending on HOW I create the DVD-R will dictate whether it will play on his player or not.

I use it as a 'yard stick', if it played on his - it played on anything.

I also found that if I compress the data MORE, it is more likely to play on his DVD player.

Hope this helps M8

PS. I only use discs that cost 40p to 50p, like 3rd gen Bulk Paq.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2003
  10. nqq

nqq Member

I'm using Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.1, but I found this chart that compares RecordNow MAX and Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.3. CD creator has a few less features but it doesn't look like anything that would make a less compatible DVD.

http://www.stompinc.com/recordnowmax/rnmx-retail.phtml?stp

Last edited: Mar 29, 2003