Where' all my memory gone?? Please help!

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by myf, Oct 17, 2010.

1. myf

myf Member

Hi there.
    I have a gateway vista laptop. It states it has a 47gb worth of memory. For the last year i have barely used the thing (got an iphone which i use more) As it only has less than 2 gb of memory left and runs really badly. It constantly freezes and goes black and just cuts out. The only way is to turn it off by the power and start up again :eek:(
    Now, i started to pay more attention to it and am wondering why so much memory has been
    used. Firstly i have deleted tons of songs from my itunes gallery. ( i only have 500 songs on my laptop now)Hardly made a difference. I only have about 10 picture files in my pictures and a few documents in my documents. Hardly anything compared to my old laptop. Also my old 16gb iphone has alot more songs, pictures and apps on it than my laptop and still has space.. So i checked my programmes deleted a few, still no difference and it says that i have 57 programmes that are using 2.56 gb.. My laptop states the memory is critical and has 1.78gb left from 47.6gb.. Any ideas as to what this could be? Where all my memory is being used? Im thinking a bug but i have a fully functional paid for version of avg and it seems to be running fine and shows no threats when i scan the laptop..
    Many thanks for any help,
    Charlie :eek:)

2. manbaby

manbaby Member

Try using Disc Cleanup and see what happens.

From Microsoft:

Open Disk Cleanup by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, clicking System Tools, and then clicking Disk Cleanup.

In the Disk Cleanup Options dialog box, choose whether you want to clean up your own files only or all of the files on the computer. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

If the Disk Cleanup: Drive Selection dialog box appears, select the hard disk drive that you want to clean up, and then click OK.

Click the Disk Cleanup tab, and then select the check boxes for the files you want to delete.

When you finish selecting the files you want to delete, click OK, and then click Delete files to confirm the operation. Disk Cleanup proceeds to remove all unnecessary files from your computer.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

do a propties check on all your folders to see what size they are individually as ran into similar problem with a customer. she has\had a 40gig hard drive that ended up being filled with spyware in 1 folder by hotbar full of shoppers report. she had about 4meg free so went thru all the folders til i found the culprit & deleted it. that folder was about 35gig in size so that is what she got back once i deleted that hotbar folder.

4. myf

myf Member

Hi,
    Thanks for your advice. I disk clean up regualarly but it only ever clears a few mb's.. I have just looked through my folders.. There was so many of them so i will go through them again case i missed any. I managed to free 4gb of memory just deleting some old videos and folders i had lurking.. I did find a folder called appdata which had over 6gb in the appdata/roaming and over 8gb in the appdata/local.. Is that normal? Im not sure what that folder is but it looks important so im reluctant to do anything there? Im trying to calculate it and see i have 3gb worth of songs. Under 1 gb of pictures, under 3gb of programmes so if i round that up at 7gb would my laptop just be using 40gb of memory to run. I'm thinking there must be something wrong here. Or am i just missing something.. Also if there was a massive folder hiding somewhere wouldn't my avg find it?
    Thanks again for any help,
    Charlie :eek:)

5. myf

myf Member

Oh and i've just found a folder in the appData/roaming called apple computer and its 5.88gb.. Haven't a clue if i need that or not? :eek:/

6. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

on my computer i have appdata\local\temp\cookies and appdata\roaming\microsoft\windows\cookies.always full of cookies.I'm guessing if your using itunes the apple computer folder could be a backup of your songs or something to do with itunes.Changing the setting to show hidden folders might show up whats in the folders.the only real way to know would be to open the folder and see whats in it (post here if you dont know what the files are).