Where am I?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by jdsnake, Dec 29, 2003.

1. jdsnake

jdsnake Member

I've been searching desperately to find any information possible to solve my "Data error(cyclic redundancy check)" problem, and I see this post on one of your forums that mentioned something about it. But of course, I couldn't see the response to the question unless I registered as a member. So I jump through all the hoops to register, go back to my e-mail to get the link, and it drops me off on the south side of nowhere without a bus pass. What is that? I've been working on this stupid problem for hours, I can hardly see straight no less, think clearly. I just want to find the answer to this thing and be rid of this problem! I wasn't looking for more headaches.

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi jdsnake,
    If you ever find your way back, post questions like this one in DVD-R for newbies.
    Cyclic redundancy errors are usually caused by problems on your source disc, dirt, scratches, etc.
    Afterdawn has just changed servers so there may still be a few glitches in the system.
    Frank

3. andmerr

andmerr Guest

hey jdsnake,
    sus out a guy called jerry746 he helped me with this kind of problem. Fasfrank is on the right track but i have a disk that is brand new , no scratches but it came up with the error you have.The end result for me is it has a damaged vob file on the disk

hope this helps you

Andmerr

4. jdsnake

jdsnake Member

Thanks guys, and Happy New Year. This is a real frustrating problem. First one I've ever stumbled upon that I couldn't "Forest Gump" my way through. What exactly are you saying? This is a perminent physical problem and the drive needs replacement? I've noticed that there are a large number of people having this very problem after using Partition Magic to transfer their data over to the new drives, (which is what I did) but everyone is talking in code or something, I can't figure out what the bottom line is. Can this be fixed or is it a new target for the gun club?

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi jd,
    Cyclic redundancy problems are generaly not problems with your hard drive disc or DVD burner but problems with the source DVD. Andmerr is correct also, physical damage or a corrupted file on the DVD would both result in the same error. Clean the movie disc, check it for scratches and give it another shot. If that doesn't work try another movie and see if that one has the same problem.

Frank

6. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Whoa.... wrong room :) swooooooooosh