Where can I go to learn how to make games for the SNES?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by metave, May 30, 2008.

1. metave

metave Member

Specifically, I have an emulator, and I'm going to make my own ROMs for it. I know I can download 80,000 ROMs from some websites, but that's not very interesting (or legal). I'm interested in making something by myself.

Does anyone know any learning resources or tools that I might want to use in this process?

2. homesick

homesick Regular member

no, but i think it would be cool to do to.

3. MUNKYEARS

MUNKYEARS Regular member

well... coding roms isnt an ideal point to start coding at as they use specifically manufactured version of existing code such as ASM and C++

you really need to learn these basic languages then come back and ask.... i can already program games for the Genesis/Megadrive but im looking for a team that need a programmer as the work load of my desires is to great for me alone....

if your willing to learn to program then the best place to start would be your nearest college or Uni as they offer courses specifically for this...

4. metave

metave Member

Well, I can learn C++ fast enough; I already know Java.

As for Assembly (or is it Assembler? I never really learned the difference), I don't know how long that would take to learn. Or where to start for that matter... are there any FREE websites out there that you would recommend? I don't like having to pay for information.

I'm in college, but I don't have a lot of "wiggle room" for electives for the next two years.

After I learn C++ and Assembly, where should I go to learn how to make ROMs?

5. MUNKYEARS

MUNKYEARS Regular member

well if you can learn C++ quickly then Assembly should come swiftly and also that would be your repertoire complete and set for a lot of jobs out in the open world....

i for one just finished college like 5 months ago, like you didn't have a lot of "wiggle room" as well.

i found it easier to be self-educated than be taught by someone.

as for free information you would want to come back to some place like this except depending on when you finish college and such will determine if you will be programming ROM images or even more advanced hardware

there are no specific websites where this kind of information is available as programming ROM images of a game are not written in a book as such and must be found out by freelance developers

as far as i know, there are about 4 freelance teams still creating ROMS for the SNES but that's it....

i dont know how SNES ROM images are structured because i create Megadrive/Genesis ROMS well i used to do but when you get started with your programming just PM me or whatever and i can help you out anytime.

i'm willing to have a go and try and do some research for you

hope this helps a bit