1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to get PS2 exploit utility?

Discussion in 'PS2 - Software boot discussion' started by atommx, Feb 5, 2008.

1. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

Most nowadays just use Ar Max with media player, or Codebreaker, older versions of Gameshark to do the exploit.

Or just buy Swap Magic, modchip etc.

2. NovaWolf

NovaWolf Member

swapmagic came today and i cant get it to work lol, i think my ps2 is jinx'd any tutorials for noobs. like really really drawn out descriptions? i burnt using dvd decrypter the copy mode but to no avail.

3. NovaWolf

NovaWolf Member

scratch that, got it working, but memcard is not recognised and i cant save. bit of a bummer.

4. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

Well glad to hear you got Swap Magic and its working.
    What type of memory card do you have. Maybe it just needs formatting.

I have uLaunch 4.12 DVD that you can download and burn to DVD using imgburn, it has the memory card format called mcformat.elf that you may need to do it.
    You may need Powerarchiver to extract the file to ISO.
    Just use filebrowser when launched, and browse to the elf file located in ELFS on the cdfs.
    The tutorial below will explain how to use uLaunch.
    How to use uLaunch 4.12

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  5. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

Well for anyone else who needs to do the exploit using Xplorer 5, just go here to get the save file.
    http://psx-scene.com/forums/428352-post54.html

From there you will be able to install the fmcb 1.5 and use ESR beta 9 to boot backups or do whatever.

6. CCEncoder

CCEncoder Regular member

If anybody has problems with certain dlls all you have to do is install the libraryfiles.exe file which contains all kinds of dlls and such. It always has helped me a lot when it comes to missing dll files.

7. darockman

darockman Member

Hi Guys,
    I'll been pulling my hair out with Xploder v5. Here is a discovery that I've made using this piece of crap. I've been search everywhere. No one has picked this up yet.

Yes, it is possible to transfer files from a USB stick to the MC, i.e title.db, boot.elf etc... okay from what I've read everywhere should be it, right!? Reset and the PS2 with PSX Trigger disc and Presto!!!

Guess again, well I did a million times or two.

Okay, so you've transferred the files to the MC. Now restart the PS2 as normal then view MC contents with Browser. You'll notice that your files that you've just transferred have the X icon representing an Xploder file. Now why would that happen? WTF? These aren't Xploder save games. They still have the same names like title.db but now with the Xploder icon.

Alright, so now load Xploder V5 (note this is not pro version so no x-link). Go into Memory Manager & Gamesaves. Now for comparison have both your USB stick and MC. Look at the USB first and you'll notice that when you move the blue highlighter over lets say TITLE.DB under Description it says TITLE.DB then unknown file with it's file size. Now look at the same file on your MC. Description says TITLE.DB and now its a PS2 file with same file size as the one on the USB stick.

So there's the problem in a nutshell. Bloody Xploder V5 modifies the files during transfer therefore stuffing us up when trying to load the Independence exploit. I can't see anyway around it. I hope this enlightens some brilliant minds out there so we can work on a work on a work around. As far as I can see Xploder v5 should be the easiest way to get the files onto the MC.

Thanks for the time to read this ;)

8. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

Ok I see the Xploder save file in the link from psx-scene is for PAL users.

[​IMG]

You would need to open that save file with PS2_Save_builder_0.8x and then change the BEDATA-SYSTEM to BADATA-SYSTEM

The TITLE.DB included also may not have your PS1 game title on it, so one needs to change that also.

I have made the changes for NTSC and included the TITLE.DB which has over 800 titles for those who want to try it.
    Code:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/138782859/exploit_xploderv5.rar

You then need to put in your PS1 game and it should search for TITLE.DB on the mc.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  9. darockman

darockman Member

Smokey,

I have PAL version of Final Fantasy VIII SLES_020.80. My PS2 is FAT scph-50002.

I've tried using the 800 strong Title.db and one specific to each of the 4 FF VIII discs. The issue is not the trigger disc or the Title.db.

It's Xploder v5 which is modifying the files when transferring the files from my USB stick to the MC.

BOOT.ELF
    TITLE.DB
    FREE_MCBOOT.ELF
    MCFORMAT.ELF
    icon.sys

By default in Xploder these file appear as unknown file type. Which is perfect and what we want. Once the files have been transferred to the MC. If you check the description the files are now PS2 files. Please understand my frustration here. I have done my home work and read up on Independence exploit.

Some people say that the Network transfer doesn't work. I can't find anything on this tutorial or how it can be done.

Thanks for your response but need more. Once we figure this out I'll work on the Howto/Walk through.

10. darockman

darockman Member

Great news everyone! I found some handy info via searches on other forums and I've got it! Sorry forgot the sites and they do deserve credit.

It's really simple too!
    ====================================================================
    ===== My apologies, this process resumes after completing and creating the exploit using Independence compile 5.1. ==============
    ====================================================================

Get the output xxxxxxx.xps file that the Independence compile has created. Open Ps2 Save Builder 0.8 to view the xxxxx.xps file then click on FILE, SAVE AS then selecting the option for .md (Sharkport)with the name BEDATA-SYSTEM.md (Note BEDATA-SYSTEM is for PAL games, but you should already know that by this stage)

Then find the file BEDATA-SYSTEM.md and rename the file extension to BEDATA-SYSTEM.ps2 in windows by right clicking on the file and selecting rename.

Put BEDATA-SYSTEM.ps2 on your USB stick then load up Xploder v5. Go into Memory Manager/Save games then have the USB stick as your source and your MC as the target and transfer the BEDATA-SYSTEM.ps2 file to the MC.

You'll notice that the file name on the MC will be something like Independence-Exploit. That's it! Xploder did what it was meant to do. If the file remains the same on the MC then you've compile your exploit incorrectly. Go back and start fresh. It will work!

Now, press Triangle to get back to the main menu then select start game. Select yes to start game without cheats then put in your PS1 game and press X. You'll end up in the PS2 browser. Select memory card and you should see a new icon. Press O to exit then select the Black Ps1 disc icon to start the game and that is it!

Yes! You've done it and have defeated Exploder v5 monster wall!!!

Thanks everyone and enjoy!

11. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

Ok thats good news

That is the same method that is used for Gameshark

So its good for people without the xlink cable.

12. darockman

darockman Member

Thanks Smokyrain, I think we need to get this info out. It took me a week to finally work this out. I was just about return Exploder back to EB games. We'll I'll probably end up returning it regardless. I got what I wanted.

13. mrripley

mrripley Guest

Hi,

I cannot get the exploit to work.

I am using Backstage Assault - SLES-03168 (which becomes SLES-031.68). I created the exploit xps file which I save as MD. I then rename the file to .ps2 extention and put onto usb flash. I then start up Xploder v5 Media Center and copy the file to the MC. The MC sees the file as You SystemConfiguration.

I reset with the Backstage Assault game, it starts up and loads the PS1 loader screen and then continues to load the game.

I have tried this with the flat configuration (therefore not adding any other ELF files) as well as with extra ELF files.

What is wrong? It is a SCPH-70004 model.

Any thoughts.

Regards,
    Ryan

14. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

Ok for one thing not all PS1 games work, I don't know why but they don't

Second make sure your SLES file in TITLE.DB is like this SLES_031.68
    It has to have the underscore, and the period.
    Maybe yours is, and you just made a typo.

Did you start your PS1 disk the way that darokman posts:

You'll notice that the file name on the MC will be something like Independence-Exploit. That's it! Xploder did what it was meant to do. If the file remains the same on the MC then you've compile your exploit incorrectly. Go back and start fresh. It will work!

Now, press Triangle to get back to the main menu then select start game. Select yes to start game without cheats then put in your PS1 game and press X. You'll end up in the PS2 browser. Select memory card and you should see a new icon. Press O to exit then select the Black Ps1 disc icon to start the game and that is it!

15. mrripley

mrripley Guest

I just tried it by starting the game through Xploder but it just goes back to the Xploder menu.

It was a typo, the TITLE.DB format is correct as you mentioned.

I will try get some other games to try this with. I need to know if this works on ALL PS2's including Slim (SCPH-70004). I have my heart set on getting this right the hard way. Otherwise I have buddies with modded PS2's who I could use to make the MC. Perhaps just get an ISO of CodeBreaker.

The problem with South Africa, we don't get the cool stuff. No codebreaker, no action replay, no swap magic... Amazon.com will not even send codebreaker here.

16. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

Oh lord I shouldn't be posting when I am tired.
    I just realized what model PS2 you have. The PS1 exploit won't work on slim models.

If your friends have a modded PS2, then you should see if they will install the fmcb 1.6 for you. You then can use ESR beta r9a to load backups.
    http://psx-scene.com/forums/freevast/

17. mrripley

mrripley Guest

Ok, making small break-throughs.

If I choose Easy Start from Xploder main menu, the game starts reading and says: Bad disk or not present.

Thoughts.

18. darockman

darockman Member

Ryan,

There's the issue right there. The Independence PS2 exploit only works on the fat PS2! The fault that lets this run on the fat PS2 was not present in the Slim PS2 models, therefore does not work hence you getting the PS1 game to boot.

You'll need to find someone with a fat PS2. Once you have Free MC boot on your MC. It will work on your slim with no probs.

Good luck!

19. mrripley

mrripley Guest

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the confirmation.

I have been under the impression that people are getting the exploit working on the slim line. Eish!!

I have therefore bitten the bullet and ordered Datel Direct Action Replay Max Evo Edition (PS2) from Amazon. Now I gotta wait until 15 Sept.

That should complete the kit I need to get Free MCBoot installed. Aaahhhh, the sweet smell of victory.

Regards,
    Ryan

20. darockman

darockman Member

Man, I understand the frustration that you've been going through. Seriously I can't wait that long but hey you're almost there.

The Springboks had a awesome game last night smashing the Wannabies ;)