1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Are Best DVD Drives to Read Flaky DVDS?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by audioresearch, May 18, 2010.

1. audioresearch

audioresearch Member

I have a few dvd drives. Some are just readers and some are also burners. Some of them have much better results reading flaky or scratched dvds than others and the differences between my drives are fairly consistent in that my best drive almost always will read a dvd that my worst drives will not read (the bad drives give crc errors and in general give up and consider sectors to be bad that are read with no problem by my good drives).

So, is there any consensus in this forum on which drives are the best at reading "hard to read" dvds (and that would include "store bought" pressed dvds as well as dvd-r disks)??

2. Paula_X

Paula_X Guest

It literally depends on the disk and the drive.. a lot of times cheaper drives perform better with bad media. Samsung are reputedly the best reading drives around, but I can't verify that because I have an old philips burner which is better.

3. nightfly

nightfly Member

I have several old Toshiba 12x SCSI DVD drives that read pretty much anything, as long as the disk isn't cracked or scratched too badly. Minor scratches that interfere with reading the disk can be polished out with Meguire's plastic polish.

4. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Regular member

my Plextors read pretty much anything

5. Mez

Mez Active member

If you have the money, Plextors are the very best. I have a Lite-on. When I bought mine they were rated as one of the best but cheap because they are made in China. Otherwise most cheap Chinese are as good as any. Stay away from Sony. The ones they make are crap though they resell Chinese for a good mark up so their cheap ones are their best.

A good burner is a great investment. Mine will read though a fairly scratched disk. Still if the disk has deep scratches I have to grind them flat or near flat.

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member