which DV Cam?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by kr236rk, Jul 27, 2008.

1. kr236rk

kr236rk Member

hi

i need a mid budget, mini dv cam: with dv and av out, powerful zoom, and close-up zoom focal length (macro?)

have looked at Canon MD235 Digital MiniDV Camcorder (37x Optical Zoom) but been put off by the Canon technical help page, which held no information on this model and succeeded in baffling any attempt i made to contact Canon for information; which is a great shame, Canon used to run an excellent 'technical help' page :(

any suggestions please - my current Canon MV830i only allows me to zoom-focus at about 4 feet / over 1 metre - i need to halve that, if possible?

thanks

KR

2. kr236rk

kr236rk Member

>bump<

will probably end up going for the Sony DCR-HC51E Mini DV Handycam, sice it has the same 1/6" optical sensor as the MV830i, but double the zoom - and more zoom is what i need :)

KR

3. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

If you don't want pass through capability, then I would go with the Sony. The E models are all that are available in Europe, and they don't have the pass through capability, because it is "illegal" to do so there.

4. kr236rk

kr236rk Member

er, thanks - what is 'pass through', please ~ sounds pretty heavy?

KR

5. AmiNutall

AmiNutall Regular member

By pass-thru I guess you mean going from Analogue camera/ video recorder thru the digial camera, to a pc. A great way of copying old VHS tapes . Had to use a colleagues camcorder as my newer one didnt allow it.
    Didnt know Europe banned those type of cameras ?
    No wonder I cant get a cheap Mini DV one that allows analogue input ?

As a co-incedance Im looking to buy a Mini-dv camera and have looked at the Sony HC62 or Canon MD 235. Guess make wise there's not much between them ,as both have excellent lenses.
    The main difference seem to be the Canon has a 37 x optical zoom compared to Sonys 25, wheeas the Sony allows usb streaming and has a photo button. I might use the webcam feature (tho theyre cheap to buy anyway, but not botherred about the photo button even at 1mbp). So the main diff is the optical lense. Is it right that anything above 25 really needs a tripod anyway ?
    Cheers.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  6. Rich48

Rich48 Member

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/705612/4295435

Rich