Which DVD Brand is best for Philips drive?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by samusXP, Jun 9, 2005.

1. samusXP

samusXP Regular member

What is the best brand and type of DVD to use with a Philips DVD drive? I'm currently using the least recommended Memorex DVD+R. They worked fine for a while, but now they don't read half the time. When I play GTA San Andreas off the Memorex disc, it stops reading while loading and the game freezes. This isn't because the laser is dirty (I've cleaned it) and it is not due to overheating becuase the system had only been on for about 15 minutes.

2. FantomAU

FantomAU Member

In the xbox I use to have until now, I had a phillips drive and I used Riteks w/ NO problems at all. Never got a dirty disc error.

3. samusXP

samusXP Regular member

Thanks, I gotta pick up some Riteks. I'm busy looking for a new vid card for my comp now. Found a GeForce 6600 for $139.

4. PikaPuff

PikaPuff Member

Ive burned gtasa on a verbatim 8x dvd+r and it would give dde on philips drive.Burned the same game on a verbatim 8x dvd-r the philips would read the disc fine.my thomson drive will read both -+r fine.

5. masterwil

masterwil Member

I have a Philips Dvd-Rom in my xbox too.
    And i have the same problem, the game starts and after a while it stops, and my dvd-rom is croacking.
    It's verry irritating, and it's not with all the games i have?
    Some never has the problem, some always!
    Original games always play perfectly????

6. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

Simply the best media (along w/ Ritek G03/G04's) is Taiyo Yudon. This media has never failed me (well I guess it did once on a philips drive, but that drive was junk anyways).

You can buy these discs cheap at this site, http://www.supermediastore.com

That site above has high quality dvd's and you can be assured no fake's will be sold w/ crappy dye there!

7. FantomAU

FantomAU Member

I've never bought TYs before. I've thought about it, But always get Riteks. Verbatims I've heard are really good media.

Supermediastore is a GREAT place to get dvds.

I guess I'm gonna have to try some TYs soon.

8. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

Well, Verbatims and Riteks are right up there w/ Ty's. The thing I like about Ty's though is that they are CHEAP to buy and their compatibility and lifespan is awesome!