which format dv.dvd hdd

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by nobbzee, Jan 13, 2008.

1. nobbzee

nobbzee Member

Hello everybody can someone help me out on which format camcorder will be best for me I know hdd records to a hard drive & dvd to a small dvd but what is dv I know you may think i'm thick but the only camcorder i've had had 8mm tapes all I want is something to take on holiday but with all the cameras on sale I don't have a clue many thanks for reading ,nobbzee

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

DV = digital video.

3. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

DV is not only digital video but also used for the compression used on digital tape.
    To answer your question what type to buy, here the various options with some pros and cons.

1. Hard drive.
    Pro: no messing with separate media, easy and fast transfer to PC. Con: difficult to edit, when on the road and disk is full you have an immediate problem, if you want to retain your original footage over time you will need a lot of hard disk space

2. miniDVD.
    Pro: recordings can be played immediately on a DVD player
    Con: difficult to edit and to combining different miniDVD's to one DVD

3. miniDV-tape
    Pro: lowest compression so still the best quality compared quality, versy easy to edit
    Con: transfer to PC only in 1:1 speed, messing with tapes, conversion needed to burn to DVD

4. Digital8 tape (only available from Sony)
    Same as miniDV-tape with extra advantage that you can still play your old analog 8mm tape. The format is getting a bit obsolete.